• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackpollard

Dec 26, 2013
    Outside Union Bridge, MD.
    If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, I was not sure where to put it.

I've been wondering about this for awhile and being I found yet another interesting purchase, I thought I would ask before I wake up with my house surrounded.

When you buy a non-regulated long gun, that may be an oxymoron cause I guess in MD. you can't buy a regulated long gun(?), and the FFl or shop calls in for the "law" check, is that recorded? If I buy 5 long guns in a week, is there a record of that? If so, any need to worry? I was thinking of picking up 3 different rifles, 1 .223 and 2 .22's. I picked up a Mosin last week. I just had some cash to spend on picking up some weapons that I've liked and just don't want to do anything wrong.

Thanks in advance.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The NICS check is federal and there is not supposed to be a record. Your FFL will keep a record of all his sales.

You may buy as many unregulated firearms as you want. No problem. Designated collector and an HQL and you can buy as many regulated firearms as you want. (However MD has a record of them)

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7

I've been wondering about this for awhile and being I found yet another interesting purchase, I thought I would ask before I wake up with my house surrounded.

When you buy a non-regulated long gun, that may be an oxymoron cause I guess in MD. you can't buy a regulated long gun(?), and the FFl or shop calls in for the "law" check, is that recorded? If I buy 5 long guns in a week, is there a record of that? If so, any need to worry? I was thinking of picking up 3 different rifles, 1 .223 and 2 .22's. I picked up a Mosin last week. I just had some cash to spend on picking up some weapons that I've liked and just don't want to do anything wrong.

Thanks in advance.

See this:

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx

Non-regulated long guns (shotguns, hunting rifles, etc) like you said, are cash and carry. No need to worry on either front. These firearms are not "automatically registered" during the NICS check. nor do they need to be with the Maryland State Police. The only thing that requires you to even think of that are handguns and "assault long guns" as defined by the FSA 2013.

The only time where anything extra happens is when you buy multiple handguns within a week (to the best of my knowledge), the FFL will fill out a multiple purchase form and submit to the ATF. A handgun purchase requires an HQL anyways.

You are good to go, enjoy the new toys. :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Thanks in advance.

IIRC, if you buy more than 2 handguns within 5 days, NICS will flag you for suspicious activity and ATF/DOJ will conduct an investigation. I might be wrong about the investigation.

Long guns are not affected by this. Also NICS records that contain PII are purged withing 24 hours of the transaction occurring, as long as there is not a deny for the transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom