• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have a couple questions. These may have been previously addressed and if so I apologize in advance for asking again. I was unable to locate an answer.

I am wondering if a MD resident has a firearm on order in PA before October but it arrives after October if it can be transferred into MD. I understand that if it is on order before October then it is legal but does this pertain to a firearm ordered in MD or anywhere?

Also I am not understanding how an AR 15 would be banned after October in Maryland because while it meets the clone qualification it does not have a grenade launcher and folding stock but could have the flash device. Does an ar 15 have to meet 2 of the 3 qualifications to be banned after October or is it automatically banned?

Also does anyone know if the LWRC piston ars etc will be considered clones?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    Not sure. But it works for me.

Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
    The final SB 281: A detailed summary for non-lawyers

Is where the thread is located.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    To your second question, the AR-15 is banned by name since it is on the list of currently regulated rifles, all of which will be banned. The feature test only applies to guns that are otherwise legal.

As for the PA order, are you saying you placed an order via an FFL in PA, will buy it in PA, then have it transferred to MD? If so, you may have a problem.

Didn't look up the piston ARs, but if they are heavy barrel then they should be fine. Otherwise they'll probably be banned, but who knows.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have a couple questions. These may have been previously addressed and if so I apologize in advance for asking again. I was unable to locate an answer.

Welcome to the forums.

I am wondering if a MD resident has a firearm on order in PA before October but it arrives after October if it can be transferred into MD. I understand that if it is on order before October then it is legal but does this pertain to a firearm ordered in MD or anywhere?

It depends on the firearm, I presume you have ordered and are purchasing either a shotgun or hunting rifle out of state. If it is a regulated firearm (handgun or regulated "assault" weapon) it needs to be transferred to a MD FFL and then purchased, with all of the attendant paperwork. If it is a hunting rifle, shotgun or handgun, then you will be able to purchase it after October 1. If it is a regulated weapon, then you need to get it transferred before Oct 1 to a MD FFL in order to be purchased after Oct 1 with a purchase order.

Also I am not understanding how an AR 15 would be banned after October in Maryland because while it meets the clone qualification it does not have a grenade launcher and folding stock but could have the flash device. Does an ar 15 have to meet 2 of the 3 qualifications to be banned after October or is it automatically banned?

Ar15 is banned by name, with the exception of the HBAR.

Also does anyone know if the LWRC piston ars etc will be considered clones?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Unknown at this time, but probably no.

Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, help, and welcome to the forum.

And to answer the question I ordered a couple regulated firearms from a PA dealer and normally have them shipped to a MD dealer. However a few guns I have on order, I am getting the impression are not coming in until after October 1st. So it sounds like I will not be able to take possession of them if I do not get them into my MD dealer before October 1st.

Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    Sorry but who is Getty and how do I get this email if it has info that pertains? I am just trying to figure out whether to cancel my orders or what I need to do cause I do not want to do wrong by my PA dealer if these guns are going to come in and I can not get them?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 430

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, help, and welcome to the forum.

And to answer the question I ordered a couple regulated firearms from a PA dealer and normally have them shipped to a MD dealer. However a few guns I have on order, I am getting the impression are not coming in until after October 1st. So it sounds like I will not be able to take possession of them if I do not get them into my MD dealer before October 1st.

SB281 makes an exception for regulated long guns purchased before Oct 1, provided you have a valid purchase order or receipt. If you have a valid Purchase order or receipt dated before Oct 1 from a MD FFL, then the regulated long gun is grandfathered and you will be allowed to take ownership after Oct 1.

Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    SB281 makes an exception for regulated long guns purchased before Oct 1, provided you have a valid purchase order or receipt. If you have a valid Purchase order or receipt dated before Oct 1 from a MD FFL, then the regulated long gun is grandfathered and you will be allowed to take ownership after Oct 1.

Thanks a ton, thats what I was looking for.

Jeremy

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How does this square with the prohibition on dealers not in possession of the ""banned" firearm before Oct. 1?

As I understand the OP, your question is not an issue as the OP will have the firearm transferred to a MD FFL before Oct 1.

At which point, he gets the PO or receipt from the MD FFL and goes through the process in MD and collects his firearm at the end with said PO or receipt after Oct 1.

Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    I'm actually thinking the firearms I ordered in PA which are regulated will not come into my PA Dealer until after October. I still have my answer from what ya said which is I'm
    Not going to get my firearms unless they show up early which I really doubt. Il probably end up canceling my orders which have been in place for a year or more but I really doubt I'm going to make the time frame.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm actually thinking the firearms I ordered in PA which are regulated will not come into my PA Dealer until after October. I still have my answer from what ya said which is I'm
    Not going to get my firearms unless they show up early which I really doubt. Il probably end up canceling my orders which have been in place for a year or more but I really doubt I'm going to make the time frame.

That would be correct, if they don't come into your PA dealer before Oct 1, then they can't transferred to your MD dealer. Sorry, but it looks like you will not be able to take possession of those firearms.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Or gamble and hope that when the NRA files suit and if the court issues an injunction that suspends the statute until the court rules. But that's a stretch.

Lonewulf

Jul 28, 2013
    Yea its a stretch. I was hoping for freeze on the bill taking place but it really does not look probable. I hate to have the orders come in and not be able to do anything with them.

Thanks again for the help

Jeremy

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD dealer would actually have to be in possession of the firearm before Oct 1 to transfer it. Just having the PA FFL have it before Oct 1 wouldn't be enough.

Man this sucks for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom