• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm reloading brass with plated RN X-Treme 200 gr. bullets and 5.0 grain of Tite Group powder. I like the load and it's very accurate in my Remington R1 1911 pistol. Not much recoil and it's easy to shoot.

The thing I'm wondering about is a lot of the brass is coming out with heavy powder burn marks. I noticed it with my 45 LC bullets as well. What causes this to happen?

:confused:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    With mild loads they don't expand the case as tightly against the chamber walls so you get some combustion products leaking around the outside.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    With mild loads they don't expand the case as tightly against the chamber walls so you get some combustion products leaking around the outside.

This ^ ^ ^

I've never loaded any Titegroup, but as has been said, some powders burn dirtier than others, especially when you're loading light. In my experience the real dirty fired cases usually indicate a load that is a bit too much on the conservative side and you probably have room to bump it up and retain the accuracy and cut down on the blackened cases.

Now if these dirty case loads are accurate, cycle your action reliably, and you're happy with them, then you can just put up with grungy cases, they'll take a bit longer to clean, but that's really the only downside.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    If it's accurate and they function correctly in your firearm why bump the loads? So the brass is a little dirtier, most people tumble it anyway. :shrug:

This is the correct answer...

Don't fix what clearly is NOT broken...

Cannot agree more. You gotta clean the brass anyway, let it tumble for a few minutes more if needed. Like Buff said, if it's accurate and functions properly, you shouldn't change a thing.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    And if you want to deal with really sooty cases, load some 45ACP with Unique. The rounds shoot great. But the cases will be very dirty.

Leave well enough alone.

:thumbsup:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    If it's accurate and they function correctly in your firearm why bump the loads? So the brass is a little dirtier, most people tumble it anyway. :shrug:

I'm still experimenting with what shoots best in the gun.

I just got it. :rolleyes:

It did OK with the next step up in gunpowder. The cases cleaned up OK.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    Who cares about dirty brass. If I have a powder and load that shoots superb I could care less. A lot of things will change how a load will shoot, that's the fun of reloading.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm still experimenting with what shoots best in the gun.

I just got it. :rolleyes:

It did OK with the next step up in gunpowder. The cases cleaned up OK.
    No idea why the roll eyes emoji, but you're the one who said it's very accurate in your 1911. I, like others are giving you the correct answer, but it's your time and powder.
    I'm reloading brass with plated RN X-Treme 200 gr. bullets and 5.0 grain of Tite Group powder. I like the load and it's very accurate in my Remington R1 1911 pistol. Not much recoil and it's easy to shoot.

The thing I'm wondering about is a lot of the brass is coming out with heavy powder burn marks. I noticed it with my 45 LC bullets as well. What causes this to happen?

:confused:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I use titegroup in my 9mm and light 357 loads. It's just dirty, I don't think you are going to see much of a difference changing the load. The good news is that it wipes off very easily from the gun and comes off cases with a tumble.

There may be cleaner powders out there but titegroup shoots well for me and it's very low volume so you get a LOT of rounds out of a bottle of it. It's by far he most economical power I have found that produces good results.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use Bullseye in light SWC and ball power loads. It doesn't impress me as dirty when using plated or jacketed bullets. Of course, the heavier load will be cleaner. The bore is clean (for being fired), cleans quickly and a quick wipe in the magwell gets the feedramp and adjacent area clean. Between cleanings just wipe the feedramp, lube the pistol and ready to rock.

I've used Unique with lead bullets...that was dirty and smokey. Creates clouds in rapid fire. Bullseye similar but not as much. My experience is is more the bullet than the powdet causing the dirty or smokey characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom