• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Although having received my MSP-QHIL number some time ago, I received my official approval letter and certificate emails only yesterday. Are these just starting to roll out, or have others been receiving them already?

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Yeah, I got mine yesterday also. They said I am allowed to:

- Instruct Handgun Qualification License applicants.
    - Handgun Wear and Carry Permit Applicants.

Which is confusing because I received the certificate (QHIC), not the license (QHIL). From my understanding you need to be licensed to provide training for Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants. But, the letter I received states otherwise. :sad20:

Last edited:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

Which is confusing because I received the certificate, not the license. From my understanding you need to be licensed to provide training for Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants. But, the letter I received states otherwise. :sad20:

Great! Now you should "instruct" as many people as you possibly can who want to get their HQL and/or carry permit:D

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

Which is confusing because I received the certificate, not the license. From my understanding you need to be licensed to provide training for Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants. But, the letter I received states otherwise. :sad20:

That's my understanding as well, but I believe the state law currently allows for this. I've also heard that this is expected to be clarified in law at some point. Who knows when that "point" might be though.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have heard from some who have already received their certificate via email.

I have not received mine, however I already know my QHIL# from when they were posted by MSP online. The QHIL #'s have since been removed.

Also, MSP now appears to assert the opinion that position shooting, dry firing and the completion of an MSP approved PPC course are now a requirement of the new law.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have heard from some who have already received their certificate via email.

I have not received mine, however I already know my QHIL# from when they were posted by MSP online. The QHIL #'s have since been removed.

Also, MSP now appears to assert the opinion that position shooting, dry firing and the completion of an MSP approved PPC course are now a requirement of the new law.

I noticed the addition of the position shooting and dry firing to the growing list of requirements.

Also mine lacked the 'attachments' mentioned in the original attached letter. MSP soon sent out a revised notice with a merged document.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Got mine yesterday, but it expires 1-30-2014 so I asked for clarification

Mine expires in May, 2014, which is the same date my NRA Instructor credentials expire, so even though I have the QHIL, which isn't supposed to be tied to the NRA creeds, and is supposed to be good for 3 (4?) years, they tied mine to my instructor creds. Since the QHIC is tied to the NRA creds (but doesn't require to PPC, etc.), it is necessarily set to expire at the same time as the NRA ratings.

If yours is a QHIL, please post back if the get back with you and extend your expiration date, if you don't mind.

FatMuscle

Aug 9, 2010
    La Plata

Which is confusing because I received the certificate (QHIC), not the license (QHIL). From my understanding you need to be licensed to provide training for Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants. But, the letter I received states otherwise. :sad20:

The last time I spoke with MSP about this they stated that it simply denotes HOW one is qualified.

"C" = Certificate: From an outside organization (ie NRA)
    "L" = Licensed: MSP granted the qualification

Both C and L can teach/instruct the HQL and W&C classes equally.

QHIC expiration dates are tied to the date on the supporting certificate.
    QHIL expiration dates are four years from the MSP approval date.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    Strange...

A Maryland QHI should be fully aware if what they are credentialed to lawfully instruct-it is clearly defined in 281.

If you are surprised or unclear, this forum should be the second or third resource to use for research; 281 & COMAR would be number 1, and MSP number 2...

Just saying

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom