• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Okay so here's my question/scenario.

We all know MOM is likely pressuring the MSP to slow down paperwork as sort of an FU to gun owners and FFLs.

With at least 3 IPs releasing firearms early (albeit under individual circumstance).

Do you think MOM will now kick MSP the other way to get background checks out sooner rather than later so no regulated firearms will get out to bad guys and girls?

It wouldn't be good for his public image/half a$$ed presidential dreams if it comes to light that due to his ego someone got a firearm when they weren't supposed to.

What do you think?

Gdud50

Apr 8, 2013
    I don't think anything will happen until there are more FFL's releasing with more lenient requirements.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I don't think anything will happen until there are more FFL's releasing with more lenient requirements.

Yep. Right now the ones that are releasing are the ones that have had people previously ND'd through them, and a few others are only releasing to those who have a DC.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I think his ego will get the better of him and he'll either send MSP to "nudge" FFL's not to or he'll ease up on the wait times.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't know if they still do it, but I was always under the impression that before the great rush they always ran applicants almost right away to look for prohibited people, usually within a couple of days of getting them in, and the took the rest of the time for the administrative part of the paperwork. A lot of FFL's used to release after 7 days and they didn't want to have to have anyone go get any back.

They can still look for disapprovals right away to cover themselves and not get the paperwork out in a timely fashion. I think that may be some of what you're seeing today, with FFL's reporting things like getting ppw back with NICS checks over 30 days old on it, or ND's that were signed off on literally weeks before being sent to the FFL.

They've always had an issue getting ppw back in a timely fashion after completing it. I don't know if it is on purpose by the administration, or just the effects of the state bureaucracy. With them having hired brand new clerks, I can only imagine what a cluster it is like in there now.

I used to have to deal with CJIS all the time when I managed a records unit for the county. In the Maryland State Bureaucracy I can literally envision ppw sitting on a clerk's desk for weeks because some clerk was too lazy to walk down the hall to drop it in the outgoing mail slot. I'm not kidding.

Last edited:

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Even if O'Malley is telling them to slow down, he would never admit it. He'd just blame the FFLs and say that's why we need more gun control.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I don't know if they still do it, but I was always under the impression that before the great rush they always ran applicants almost right away to look for prohibited people, usually within a couple of days of getting them in, and the took the rest of the time for the administrative part of the paperwork. A lot of FFL's used to release after 7 days and they didn't want to have to have anyone go get any back.

They can still look for disapprovals right away to cover themselves and not get the paperwork out in a timely fashion. I think that may be some of what you're seeing today, with FFL's reporting things like getting ppw back with NICS checks over 30 days old on it, or ND's that were signed off on literally weeks before being sent to the FFL.

They've always had an issue getting ppw back in a timely fashion after completing it. I don't know if it is on purpose by the administration, or just the effects of the state bureaucracy. With them having hired brand new clerks, I can only imaging what a cluster it is like in there now.

I used to have to deal with CJIS all the time when I managed a records unit for the county. In the Maryland State Bureaucracy I can literally envision ppw sitting on a clerk's desk for weeks because some clerk was too lazy to walk down the hall to drop it in the outgoing mail slot. I'm not kidding.

They're running NICS checks off the bat to see if they can get a quick disapproval. If not, they go into the pile for all the bureaucratic BS. Then they have to run a final NICS check 2-3 months later to make sure they didn't miss anything in the meantime, but the application ends up being processed using the initial NICS number that's now old as dirt.

At least that's my understanding.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    MOM will not try to speed up background checks. If a regulated gun ends up in the hands of a bad guy, it will be blamed on the FFL who "did not follow proper procedures". It WILL be used against us if something like that happens.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Hopefully the court case will be hard fairly quickly then there will be lines outside the FFLs of people picking up their firearms. Don't think things will pick-up until either the court case is settled or after 10/1 when people stop buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom