• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Deep Run pups used to be around 1500.00 but my last pup was over 10 years ago, I like American Labs, the best explaination I have heard for English is slow fat stupid.
    A well bred field lab pup should be between 1 and 2 1/2 grand.

I called them and found out that they charge $2,500

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I called them and found out that they charge $2,500

***That's about right for a breeder of that caliber, and it is the going rate for the type of pup you want. You can go cheaper if you just want a pup but if you have your heart set on an English Lab they are not cheap from a reputable breeder, with papers, etc..

Mail order brides from Russia aren't that much more expensive but at least the dog will more likely be super happy to see you after a few months - the MOB mebbe not so much... :lol:

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    ***That's about right for a breeder of that caliber, and it is the going rate for the type of pup you want. You can go cheaper if you just want a pup but if you have your heart set on an English Lab they are not cheap from a reputable breeder, with papers, etc..

Mail order brides from Russia aren't that much more expensive but at least the dog will more likely be super happy to see you after a few months - the MOB mebbe not so much... :lol:

Lock both in the basement for 6 hours. That'll tell you...

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan

Well then I have an easy decision since im married.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Im at the wrong game then...

Yes these are kinda high. I haven't bred my choc female yet, she is english show stock, certified by ofa with good hips and normal elbows. Hope to get her eyes checked sometime soon and look to bred this year. As I say that is the hope. Good luck finding what you want, I agree the kids need a pup.:)

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012

^^^^^^

Labs will definitely love you more. Price wise that's what a English lab with great heritage goes for. When we got ours we waited almost a year. Occasionally breeders will get a puppy back for one reason or another. When that happens they will post them with LRCP site and you can get them for much less. In our case the dog was committed to a service group and the deal fell through. We got ours at 4 months so she was house broken, create trained, and had all her shots but still very much a puppy. I don't know about English being any more dumb though. Ours is much more intelligent than our last golden and the best bird dog I've ever met was a champion English lab.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you're on any sort of budget, puppy may not be in the cards for you. vet bills are atrocious, food, grooming, etc it all adds up to big numbers.

make 100% sure you crate train your puppy, works great. and just like kids, lots of training and exercise keep them VERY easy to manage.

retrievers have LOTS of energy. if you're just going to put him in the backyard for some 'exercise' or walk him around the block on a leash, you will have one spastic dog and a trashed house. our dog gets 2-3 hours/day of off-leash walking and running (and 2-3x that on weekends) and everyone says he is the calmest golden they have ever seen.

do consider a mixed breed, perhaps with a majority of the breed you prefer. we're on our 3rd purebreed golden. the first one was absolutely perfect. the 2nd two have had some health issues, despite parents having certificates for the most prevalent health issues. my uneducated guess is breeder greed and inbreeding from a limited local stock.

apologies for all the unsolicited advice... best of luck.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    My folks and I took on a 9 year old ( at the time) English yellow lab that was owned by elderly people who were too frail to take care of it anymore. And I can see why! They had labs all their lives, but the woman got cancer and they both had to move to assisted livng, so no more dog. I am surprised Edmund didn't knock her over many times over and break her hips. He must have been semi trained LOL, but I guess the 2 of them got too old to handle that too. He is almost 12 now and still a whirlwind of banging, knocking things over, and having a loud annoying bark when the other dogs impede him. I've had cattle dogs, and geeze, Edmund is more hyper than they are. By contrast I have a younger yellow lab mix who is very calm. He seems to be mixed with a skinny breed like a hound and has the mongrel dog tail curl thing going on when he is excited or dominant. MUCH smarter than Edmund too.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Are these english or 'merican?

shapeimage_2.png

They look English to me with their short noses, but would probably have to see their parents to be sure. Do they have an english accent when they bark? How are their teeth? :;):
    They are damn cute and I will not let my wife or daughter see that picture.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    bama,

Have you been owned by a lab before? If not, I just want to say that puppyhood for a lab lasts about 4 years. They get a little more sense every day, but very full of piss and vinegar.

I've done both american and english bloodline pups. Was hoping to get away from genetic problems in the american lines (hips, TVD) and went english this time. This one is sound in those areas but has bad eyes. Almost cataract like growth on one eye.

I paid 800 for this gal, who washed out of a breeders show program. I knew that was a bargain price for english, but did not expect problems with eyes. Both sire and dam had good CERF exams. Crapshoot at best.

Be sure to search "backyard breeders" and 'puppymill" for additional reading on why these are not good things for the breed.

That breeder now is out of business - had personal health issues.

Good labs are pricey due to the health clearances and such that are necessary in a good kennel program.

Beware a bargain price, as those clearances have likely not been done. Also beware ACA registered dogs. the ACA is a 'bought' registration, sort of like a mail-order pedigree.
    I am not a big fan of AKC in general, but showing does get you some exposure to what the proper lab should be like.

If you want to get a good idea of labs, go to the LRCP Potomac show in Frederick. http://www.lrcp.com/ First part of April.
    It is coming up in a few weeks, and is a great way to spend a few hours watching and learning about labs. The show has some of the top labs in the world and probably the best of both american and english blood lines. Some of the show folks are downright nice people too!

Happy puppy hunting!

Oh, one further thought - most pups are sold on a 'limited registration' which in essence says that if you wish to breed, you must do so thru the breeder's program. One guy I talked with actually added a clause to the agreement that said he could require access to my dog to show if he so desired. I did not end up working with that breeder.

DadOSix

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Bama if you havent found one I know someone that typically has them though I dont know where she is with litters right now. I will admit I dont know the difference between English and American but I know she has chpcolates as my sister in law got one from her recently.

Let me know if you are still looking I can find the number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom