Pump and Lever action weapons - new restrictions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    I heard today without validation that restriction against these two types of actions were in the works. I assume it has to do with mag capacity in some cases but my 30-30? any clarification would be helpful so I can get really pissed or cut back on the Tums.

Thanks everybody

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Under the one feature test, present in the House bill but changed to two in the Senate, a capacity of more than 10 makes it an assault weapon.

Too tired to find the cite.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hint. Restrictions on all firearms are "in the works". Plans are sitting quietly at the ready, waiting for any opportunity.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Patience, grasshopper.
    First they have to get all those pesky semi-auto rifles and then all the handguns gathered up. Then they can move on to lever actions and pumps.
    That is scheduled for year 2 of president O'Malley's second term:sad20:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I heard today without validation that restriction against these two types of actions were in the works. I assume it has to do with mag capacity in some cases but my 30-30? any clarification would be helpful so I can get really pissed or cut back on the Tums.

Thanks everybody

Interesting first post, any idea from whom you heard this? It would help us run it down.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    bill applies bans to semi-autos and magazines

Under the one feature test, present in the House bill but changed to two in the Senate, a capacity of more than 10 makes it an assault weapon. Too tired to find the cite.

Actually, no pump or lever action gun is defined as an "assault" weapon or "copycat" under either the House bill (HB 294) or the bill passed by the Senate (SB 281). Under both bills, the assault/copycat bans apply exclusively to semi-automatic firearms with defined features. For both semiautomatic pistols and semiautomatic centerfire rifles, "a fixed magazine" than can accept more than 10 rounds is sufficient, in and of itself, to put the semi-auto firearm into the prohibited class, and this is true under both the House and Senate bills.

A separate provision of both bills would prohibit the sale or transfer within Maryland of detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. This "magazine ban" applies regardless of the type of action used by the firearm that accepts the magazine.

Last edited:

MarylandDave

Nov 24, 2010
    PRM / HoCo
    Hint. Restrictions on all firearms are "in the works". Plans are sitting quietly at the ready, waiting for any opportunity.

This. Their plans are simple. Remove all weapons eventually. The current gun legislation is merely a stepping stone. We give in this round, we might was well just turn everything over.

B33J

Oct 25, 2011
    If that is the case, I would only hope that it will get the silent "hunters" off of the couch and in Annapolis with the rest of us!!

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    Maryland Dave said; "Their plans are simple. Remove all weapons eventually. The current gun legislation is merely a stepping stone. We give in this round, we might was well just turn everything over".

Exactly. Once a law is in place it's just a clerical action to add to it or change it a bit. Examples: 1-Cali originally had one type of SKS that was allowed although all the others weren't. So naturally people bought up a bunch of models that were allowed. Then they changed the list. So all those people suddenly were criminals. Easy for the gov to do and just a small percentage of the population is affected or even hears about it. 2- NY just changed to a 7 rnd mag limit. this made the news in pretty big fashion only because it's tied in w/ a huge addtional gun ban law and due to the times in which it occurred. What would have happened if, a year ago, md had made a change to a 10 rnd mag limit? Those of us here would have had a problem but 98% of the people in Md wouldn't even hear about it. And wouldn't care if they did.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    You should be pissed. Be very pissed. They're not coming for your beloved 30-30 yet, but if you don't speak up for the other guy's evil black rifle now, you WILL lose your 30-30 very soon.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Pump and lever action will be the next attack if they are able to ban semi-auto rifles.

Then they will go after coach guns and revolvers.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    They won't ban your "hunting rifle", they will call it an "evil sniper gun" first.

Attachments

• ploy.jpg
      ploy.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 223
    • tooloudtooquiet.jpg
      tooloudtooquiet.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 223

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Interesting first post, any idea from whom you heard this? It would help us run it down.

A local LEO and good friend who knows of my fondness for lever guns. First post but been lurking a bit. I was an admin on a site called WarRifles for a year or so and it totally fried me. Lack of posts comes out of sheer frustration. Not one damn thing they are wanting to do is going to have any effect and that is put the screws to us. I've lived in Maryland my whole life and am now retired so we have the luxury oh picking up stakes and moving to more friendly confines.

BTW. What was I supposed to post initially? I didn't know the introduce yourself was mandatory. Apologies.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If they get their way you'll see not only more types of guns outlawed but calibers as well. Australia is a good example where the most effective handgun caliber you can now own is a .38 I believe. And a large number of countries ban the civilian ownership of any caliber gun in use with the military. That's why .380 caliber Glocks are so popular in South America.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    A local LEO and good friend who knows of my fondness for lever guns. First post but been lurking a bit. I was an admin on a site called WarRifles for a year or so and it totally fried me. Lack of posts comes out of sheer frustration. Not one damn thing they are wanting to do is going to have any effect and that is put the screws to us. I've lived in Maryland my whole life and am now retired so we have the luxury oh picking up stakes and moving to more friendly confines.

BTW. What was I supposed to post initially? I didn't know the introduce yourself was mandatory. Apologies.

Not at all,but given the current issues I am more than a bit alert to new information. Sorry you are burned out, and I understand. Its no shame, you did you part its up to us now. But they are coming for everything..... and if they win in MD then they gain another beach head. We are heading for a constutional convention. If I were retired I would bail out as well.

No offense intended.

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Not at all,but given the current issues I am more than a bit alert to new information. Sorry you are burned out, and I understand. Its no shame, you did you part its up to us now. But they are coming for everything..... and if they win in MD then they gain another beach head. We are heading for a constutional convention. If I were retired I would bail out as well.

No offense intended.

None taken sir. I was simply astonished that those types of weapon were even mentioned. I was without a doubt a dumbass for following that thought pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom