• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it sounds like you are using someone's exercise of their 5th Amendment rights as a possible justification for continuing to infringe everyone's 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. I know you said it only makes you "question" concealed carry for "certain individuals", but all rights should be sacred, respected things. The exercise of any right can never be justification for infringing another right.

I'll also point out that Virginia does not require CHP holders to give notice that they are armed when interacting with cops and Virginia also doesn't seem to have any problems in this area. So if you're worried about people not telling you they're armed, other states have already proven this is a non-issue.

Well remember now that you're adding a 5th Amendment situation into the scenario. That's not the picture that was painted by Ragnar, nor is it what happened with the OP. He wasn't commiting any crimes and he knew it. Therefore the 5th Amendment doesn't really apply. Certainly if you're violating the law then stay quiet if you wish. But, if you're not and, as I said before, you're a good man/woman, why create a problem and hurt the cause?:)

You know, if I'm going hunting with my shotgun on the back seat and I get stopped for at tag light out, I'm not going to invoke the 5th Amendment and make myself look suspicious. Just answer the question and go hunting.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Hush now... Get back inline.

LEO wonders why they have the image they do and every single one of them who responded to this thread just continues to enforce that image. Always an excuse or justification as to why they're always right to do what they do or above the law (window tint being a good example).

Herein lies the problem. You have LEOs trying to explain what we do and how to make things better for the gun owning population, and then someone paints them with a broad brush. I'll bet you don't like it when the left paints honest gun owning Americans with the same broad brush. Just food for thought. ;)

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So, does that mean that if a gun is traded and sold numerous times, that the MSP shows it owned by multiple owners? That's ridiculous. One of the ones he read off was a Mak 90 that I sold 15 years ago among some revolvers I sold 8 years ago.

If you sell the gun out of state, MSP has no record of the sale. I sold my G30 to a friend in Atlanta through his FFL. As far as MSP records, they think I still own it. I shipped it directly to the GA FFL, that was legal. So it's not even in a MD FFL's bound book as being shipped elsewhere.

They don't take things off your list when you sell them. They just add them when you buy them. It's not a record of what you have, it's a record of what you have purchased.

And this is why we'll see re-registration efforts start in Maryland. To make sure the state's database is "up-to-date" and that the state can "track those evil assault weapons."

Wasn't that the push in CT - because CT's database was beyond repair so the politicians decided to require re-registration?

Only it won't be for JUST regulated weapons, it will be for all of them.

:tinfoil: - strong today, but I'll take it off when the thunderstorms roll in...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hush now... Get back inline.

LEO wonders why they have the image they do and every single one of them who responded to this thread just continues to enforce that image. Always an excuse or justification as to why they're always right to do what they do or above the law (window tint being a good example).

Herein lies the problem. You have LEOs trying to explain what we do and how to make things better for the gun owning population, and then someone paints them with a broad brush. I'll bet you don't like it when the left paints honest gun owning Americans with the same broad brush. Just food for thought. ;)

Since I've been on this forum I've honestly helped people attempt to understand what we can/can't do regardless of their beliefs of right or wrong. I've provided court cases in an attempt to help people better understand their actual rights and not what they see on law and order or how they feel but after the first quote I'm done. Good luck folks because that whole "I know my rights" comment doesn't fly when your wrong. :cool:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Because, and this is coming from someone with well over twenty years of law enforcement experience, you will set off many alarms in the officer's mind if you do. Understand that I'm not saying you can't do this, but it stands to reason they might think you're up to something more (remember this scenario involves visible guns in the car), thus causing further scrutiny. Unfortunately, it seems some gun owners want to jump up and down on their own d--ks. If you're a good man/woman and not violating the law, why would you want to do that?

I've said more than once that if you guys ever want to see concealed carry in Maryland, you will need at least some support from the law enforcement community; it certainly isn't going to hurt. When I deal with someone like you described above, it makes me question my support of concealed carry for certain individuals.

Because we have the right to? I should never feel pressured to answer questions that I do not legally have to - which may give you or anyone else ammunition to move into something more than 'just' a traffic stop. Granted, I don't carry contraband and I don't dick with cops JUST to dick with them.

I can see WHY I 'should' answer the questions, but depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing I may have plenty of time to sit there and let you do your business.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Since I've been on this forum I've honestly helped people attempt to understand what we can/can't do regardless of their beliefs of right or wrong. I've provided court cases in an attempt to help people better understand their actual rights and not what they see on law and order or how they feel but after the first quote I'm done. Good luck folks because that whole "I know my rights" comment doesn't fly when your wrong. :cool:

They don't want to be educated. They hate LE and any rule of law. They pretend that they are intested in learning. Its just a game to try and act like they are not heavily biased.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not about to read thru 10 pages of back and forth, simply because I can already gather how it's gone, like EVERY SINGLE thread involving LEO's goes on this forum.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Because we have the right to? I should never feel pressured to answer questions that I do not legally have to - which may give you or anyone else ammunition to move into something more than 'just' a traffic stop. Granted, I don't carry contraband and I don't dick with cops JUST to dick with them.

I can see WHY I 'should' answer the questions, but depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing I may have plenty of time to sit there and let you do your business.

I never said you don't have the right to. By all means exercise your right if you choose; just understand that in the scenario presented, it may not be prudent. A little common sense goes a long way here fella's.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

And many of us sincerely appreciate the information and perspective. :thumbsup:

With all the BS and negativity flowing on this board lately I wonder why any LEO's would stick around. Then again, I'm sure dealing with hardheaded know-it-alls is part of the job.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Because, and this is coming from someone with well over twenty years of law enforcement experience, you will set off many alarms in the officer's mind if you do. Understand that I'm not saying you can't do this, but it stands to reason they might think you're up to something more (remember this scenario involves visible guns in the car), thus causing further scrutiny. Unfortunately, it seems some gun owners want to jump up and down on their own d--ks. If you're a good man/woman and not violating the law, why would you want to do that?

I've said more than once that if you guys ever want to see concealed carry in Maryland, you will need at least some support from the law enforcement community; it certainly isn't going to hurt. When I deal with someone like you described above, it makes me question my support of concealed carry for certain individuals.

Thank you! That's actually very helpful - especially the last paragraph.:thumbsup:

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    And many of us sincerely appreciate the information and perspective. :thumbsup:

With all the BS and negativity flowing on this board lately I wonder why any LEO's would stick around. Then again, I'm sure dealing with hardheaded know-it-alls is part of the job.

I try to take a step back and understand that this polarization was created far higher up than local government. There will always be police haters, but it seems so many people are at each others throats in recent years (say since around 2008). Unfortunately the gun owning community has seen it too. Even if one doesn't care for the police for whatever reason, what sense does it make to alienate the ones that are in line with your thinking regarding the Second Amendment and take the time to discuss these matters?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words regarding LEOs.:)

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I actually avoid traveling east of Washington County if I can help it. With or without firearms. It seems like the lunacy begins at the 70-270 interchange and gets worse the closer you get to the urban/liberal areas. :sad20: I guess I spend too much time in the woods. Like a fudd.

As far as LEO's are concerned, I have a lot of good friends that are. It's the job they chose. It's also just like regular people, some are decent and some are asshats. Just because someone is in law enforcement, it doesn't mean they are automatically perfect and make no mistakes. It also doesn't mean they are all out to get you. If you treat someone like a human being while doing their job, chances are you will be treated the same.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I actually avoid traveling east of Washington County if I can help it. With or without firearms. It seems like the lunacy begins at the 70-270 interchange and gets worse the closer you get to the urban/liberal areas. :sad20: I guess I spend too much time in the woods. Like a fudd.

As far as LEO's are concerned, I have a lot of good friends that are. It's the job they chose. It's also just like regular people, some are decent and some are asshats. Just because someone is in law enforcement, it doesn't mean they are automatically perfect and make no mistakes. It also doesn't mean they are all out to get you. If you treat someone like a human being while doing their job, chances are you will be treated the same.

Agreed. Very good advice.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    does anyone else miss every pick up truck having gun racks in the back windows with 3 guns hanging in them all day everyday? whatever happened to those days? i miss the good ole days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom