• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I drew a black bear tag this year and was wondering if anyone knew a good public land spot for black bear. if anyone has tips on what sign to look for and what types of habitat they like that would be appreciated. Is it common to use non electronic predator calls for black bear in MD? If anyone has a bear problem i would be happy to help.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Little late bear season opens next week but for public check savage, a lot of bears get taken out of there every year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Look for steep rocky bluffs laurel thickets. Bear will travel along the bottoms and bed during the day in the laurel.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Little late bear season opens next week but for public check savage, a lot of bears get taken out of there every year.

I used to.trap Savage, and usually saw bears, just days after the season.

Pulled a bear tag, and saw nothing but bear hunters, lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used to.trap Savage, and usually saw bears, just days after the season.

Pulled a bear tag, and saw nothing but bear hunters, lol
    That's like spring turkey out there.
    Deer season, you have to swat the turkeys away with a broom.
    Spring turkey, nothing but knuckleheads yelping away! Lol

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I’ve hunted around Garret State Forrest near swallow falls two different years. I struck out but people that I was hunting with filled their tags. The guys at the check in station near there were extremely helpful. The one guy gave me a used map out of his personal truck with laurel and hickory trees marked along with food plots planted by the state for wildlife.

The closest I got was a literal steaming pile of bear scat on the trail. I think the bear wanted me to know he was there, I just wasn’t as smart as him.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thought bears ran the ridge tops?

Edit…. I know absolutely nothing about bear hunting.
    It depends on where they're coming from. They like the bottoms of bluffs because there are caves and crevasses to den in. The laurels are plentiful there as well.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    It depends on where they're coming from. They like the bottoms of bluffs because there are caves and crevasses to den in. The laurels are plentiful there as well.
    How do find these areas?...Google Earth?... ONX ?...Scouting on foot?
    I didnt draw this year BTW , just curious

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How do find these areas?...Google Earth?... ONX ?...Scouting on foot?
    I didnt draw this year BTW , just curious
    There is a great Garrett County topo out there. I have a couple. Other than that, get an app on your phone that shows good contours.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Laurel thickets, lol.

Do it like the locals: plastic barrel with left over donuts from Dunkins with vanilla extract and cheap honey sprinkled on top. Then just sit there with your NVGs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Laurel thickets, lol.

Do it like the locals: plastic barrel with left over donuts from Dunkins with vanilla extract and cheap honey sprinkled on top. Then just sit there with your NVGs.
    And get a good lawyer. Lol

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I'll be out in Savage River State Forest. Feel free to say hi if you see me. Or come stop by my camp and say hi. I'll be on the griddle every day cooking up pancakes, bacon, eggs, and sausage. Right now I've only got a posse of one other.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    And get a good lawyer. Lol

You just gotta know people.

We had a local case of someone getting charged with 20 years imprisonment worth of wildlife violations including a handful of felonies. He plead it down to 30 days home confinement without a monitor and a 1 year suspension of his hunting license, lol.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Make sure you use a good scent to disguise your human smell.

Hamburger in your pockets usually does the trick.

I’ve hunted around Garret State Forrest near swallow falls two different years. I struck out but people that I was hunting with filled their tags. The guys at the check in station near there were extremely helpful. The one guy gave me a used map out of his personal truck with laurel and hickory trees marked along with food plots planted by the state for wildlife.

The closest I got was a literal steaming pile of bear scat on the trail. I think the bear wanted me to know he was there, I just wasn’t as smart as him.
    Did you try and stay in one spot or were you walking trails the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom