• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Hi,

I noticed that PSA is having a Labor Days sale. I have been planning on getting a complete upper, and have heard some good things about PSA. I'm looking at 16" mid-length gas system. I have a couple of questions on the barrels though. I'm a newbie. This will be my first AR, and there are just so many choices. :o I'm trying to decide between the heavy vs light profile, and whether hammer forged is that much better.

light profile
    hammer forged light profile
    heavy profile

Since this will mostly be for fun (plinking, recreational shooting), I was thinking about the heavy profile. I assume you get some accuracy advantage with a heavier barrel, right? Anyone know how much heavier these are, and whether there are any noticeable advantages? If there isn't a significant difference, I guess lighter might be nice. Additionally, you can get the light profile in a hammer forged barrel, which I understand is generally considered better (its only $20 more). All the barrels are made by FN Manufacturing.

Any thoughts on the tradeoffs?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Any of the above will do you right, in all honesty.

I've never noticed much of a difference between a heavy/gov't profile barrel - assuming they're the same barrel length and same gas system length.

It's your rifle, your money - and therefore your choice. :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'd go government or light and hammer forged is good but in practice doesn't add much. Diminishing returns

I like mine not crazy about the straight anodized finish but acceptable

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    What are your goals with this rifle?

I will mostly be using this for recreational shooting. I will probably use it mostly with iron sights. I want it to be reliable and reasonably accurate (probably won't use it past 300 yds, and most likely at 100 yrds or less most of the time). I doubt I will shoot it enough to wear it out, but I would like to know its durable. I'm planning to doing an Appleseed shoot with my 10/22 but may think about using this later for the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the replies! :)

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I will mostly be using this for recreational shooting. I will probably use it mostly with iron sights. I want it to be reliable and reasonably accurate (probably won't use it past 300 yds, and most likely at 100 yrds or less most of the time). I doubt I will shoot it enough to wear it out, but I would like to know its durable. I'm planning to doing an Appleseed shoot with my 10/22 but may think about using this later for the same thing.

Thanks everyone for the replies! :)

Famous last words....

You will eventually, unless you are one of the weird ones, get hooked on 3 gun or maybe long range shooting. Even if it just is a class to help learn the fundamentals better. You will get some optic, you will replace hand guards and add stuff. You may not think you will but you will.

Good luck with the build.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Heavy barrel for most accuracy. 1 in 7 inch twist rate for ability to stabilize most conventional bullet lengths and weights. Chrome lined for longevity, steel for accuracy. The difference between HBARs and normal profile is so slight that if you complain you need to man up. And spring for hammer forged. The barrel will likely outlast you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll just have to say, long length rounds are not exactly so common that you'll get them at wal-mart - now if your going to be firing tracers, and long match rounds - then yes, 1:7 will likely be your best bet.

If your going to be firing the shorter, lighter, more commonly available rounds like 52, 55, 62 grain rounds, then something like 1:8 or 1:9 will be more suited. Personally I'd opt for 1:8 (if it's available) - it'll still shoot the light cheap stuff well, but it'll also handle the longer heavier match rounds to an extent.

300 yards and under is still well within the capabilities of 1:9 barrels.

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here we go again, chrome lined Barrels suck as far as accuracy go's and will not buy you that many more rounds. 1 in 8 twist gives you a wider selection of Bullet weights to choose from normally 40 to 77 grainers. Light contour will be much more fun for what you have described and just as accurate if you are shooting Irons.
    If you are like any of us the bug will catch you and you might want to start competing with it so don't cheap out as it will cost you more in the long run. Take a look at TBLARMS.com for my "Problem Solver" Line of rifles as these are what you might want to consider for a first rifle as they are Competition ready yet light enough to have fun with and have adjustable gas blocks which makes a lot of difference both to your shoulder and in cleaning time. I am pretty sure that my 16" barreled versions will be as accurate as my 18" Build.
    Just my two cents.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Since your questions have been answered, I'll add this. Realize that if you buy any of the uppers from PSA's madness sale, they are not complete. You need to buy a BCG and charging handle. I don't know if those are options to add at checkout, but keep that in mind.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Here we go again, chrome lined Barrels suck as far as accuracy go's and will not buy you that many more rounds. 1 in 8 twist gives you a wider selection of Bullet weights to choose from normally 40 to 77 grainers. Light contour will be much more fun for what you have described and just as accurate if you are shooting Irons.
    If you are like any of us the bug will catch you and you might want to start competing with it so don't cheap out as it will cost you more in the long run. Take a look at TBLARMS.com for my "Problem Solver" Line of rifles as these are what you might want to consider for a first rifle as they are Competition ready yet light enough to have fun with and have adjustable gas blocks which makes a lot of difference both to your shoulder and in cleaning time. I am pretty sure that my 16" barreled versions will be as accurate as my 18" Build.
    Just my two cents.

In response to your first sentence. Tell that to the US military which still issues Vietnam era M16A1s. Albeit to rear echelon troops. And as far as accuracy. Tell that to the USMC which still qualifies recruits at 500 yards with rack grade M16A2s and M855 ammunition. With a non free-floating handguard and a mil spec trigger with a 6 pound pull.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Since your questions have been answered, I'll add this. Realize that if you buy any of the uppers from PSA's madness sale, they are not complete. You need to buy a BCG and charging handle. I don't know if those are options to add at checkout, but keep that in mind.

They can be added on. ;)

The real key to remember is, during their sales, they get swamped very quickly - so it may take them a bit of time to get things out the door, not knocking them in any way, just keep that in mind.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    In response to your first sentence. Tell that to the US military which still issues Vietnam era M16A1s.

The A1s have been gone for years. The Marines switched to the A2 in the early 80s, the ARMY moved to the A2 in the late 80s. I went through Basic back in 1994 and the USAF had a few A1s left, but they were mostly junk.

The problem with keeping the A1s in inventory is that they don't shoot the M855 well.

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    In response to your first sentence. Tell that to the US military which still issues Vietnam era M16A1s. Albeit to rear echelon troops. And as far as accuracy. Tell that to the USMC which still qualifies recruits at 500 yards with rack grade M16A2s and M855 ammunition. With a non free-floating handguard and a mil spec trigger with a 6 pound pull.

I think that you should check your data better as when I joined the Army in 01/74 I was issued a M16 with a chrome lined barrel made by Mattel Toy Co., at that time anything under 2" at 100 yards was good enough. Those M16's were a task to keep clean and not very accurate. The reason for the chrome lining was because of the moisture in the jungle and thought to prevent rust better as well as hold up to select fire. They have since done a study and determined that for each Viet Gong Killed it took 70,000 rounds! That is not a very good ratio in my book. I don't know if they have any figures from the war in the Middle East yet but I am sure it is way less. I am confident enough to bet you that any rifle with a chrome lined Barrel would be put to shame with the Barrels of Modern times. Each to their own but I will stick with my unlined Barrels.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think that you should check your data better as when I joined the Army in 01/74 I was issued a M16 with a chrome lined barrel made by Mattel Toy Co., at that time anything under 2" at 100 yards was good enough. Those M16's were a task to keep clean and not very accurate. The reason for the chrome lining was because of the moisture in the jungle and thought to prevent rust better as well as hold up to select fire. They have since done a study and determined that for each Viet Gong Killed it took 70,000 rounds! That is not a very good ratio in my book. I don't know if they have any figures from the war in the Middle East yet but I am sure it is way less. I am confident enough to bet you that any rifle with a chrome lined Barrel would be put to shame with the Barrels of Modern times. Each to their own but I will stick with my unlined Barrels.

Mattel never made M-16's. People said that because of the plastic on them. Although I did find this:

M16mattelM16.jpg

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

I'm willing to bet if you would have looked at the roll mark on your issued rifle it would have said Colt not Mattel. And 70,000 rounds to 1 kill isn't just from infantry. It included helicopters laying down covering fire on targets, machine gunners laying down suppressive fire for their units, and training expenditures. Not to mention at that time they reconnoitered by fire. The OP stated he is looking for a first AR. He would be better served with a chrome lined hammer forged barrel for its traits of reliability, accuracy and longevity. If he was building a 24" varmint rifle then unlined would be a better match.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just my two cents.

Yeah those Noveske Cl barrels sure suck for accuracy.:rolleyes:

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Were you there in 74? I know what I was carrying and it was made by Mattel. Just like Harley made Bomb casings. As I stated before each to there own but you will not see me use a Chrome Lined Barrel as I have used to many unlined Barrels that shoot ragged Holes which is what I call acceptable accuracy until you get beyond 300 yards.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Were you there in 74? I know what I was carrying and it was made by Mattel. Just like Harley made Bomb casings. As I stated before each to there own but you will not see me use a Chrome Lined Barrel as I have used to many unlined Barrels that shoot ragged Holes which is what I call acceptable accuracy until you get beyond 300 yards.

Now when you say "was Mattel", are you talking about it being mostly plastic or actually made my Matte? Because talking to relative that was over there about that time he states it was just a saying due to a the plastic nature of weapon vs the all wood furniture of previous battle rifles.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Mattel never made M-16's. People said that because of the plastic on them. Although I did find this:

M16mattelM16.jpg

I found on arfcom the guy that admits to doing the photoshop for that picture. I have the link, just unsure of the rules regarding linking to other forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom