• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    The one I had wanted is on the black Friday sale page, but it says out of stock. Not sure how that is going to work.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    All them upper deals and yet not one 16" middy?

It's cause they're getting rid of the crap nobody wants. The cats out of the bag when it comes to gas and barrel length. With all the information available to us, why would anyone want a carbine gas system on a 16" barrel? They weren't designed to be used with a 16" barrel. Hell, the carbine gas system could very well in the near future fall to the mid length on 14.5 inch barrels.

Back to 16 inch barrels. The mid was designed for these barrels so why would anyone want to "knowingly" over gas their rifle?

Next time you're at the range, shoot a middy first and then shoot the carbine. You will easily notice the difference in the recoil footprint.

On top of all that, you have a bunch of middle of the road companies opening up gas ports which also leads to over gassing which puts unnecessary wear and tear on the rifle. Not to mention, it could be a soft shooting rifle had it not been over gassed. I won't name any companies doing this but the information is out there. This is one of the reasons I will only by from the top guys. I know I'm getting everything made to spec right down the the size of the gas port.

Late night rant over.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's cause they're getting rid of the crap nobody wants. The cats out of the bag when it comes to gas and barrel length. With all the information available to us, why would anyone want a carbine gas system on a 16" barrel? They weren't designed to be used with a 16" barrel. Hell, the carbine gas system could very well in the near future fall to the mid length on 14.5 inch barrels.

Back to 16 inch barrels. The mid was designed for these barrels so why would anyone want to "knowingly" over gas their rifle?

Next time you're at the range, shoot a middy first and then shoot the carbine. You will easily notice the difference in the recoil footprint.

On top of all that, you have a bunch of middle of the road companies opening up gas ports which also leads to over gassing which puts unnecessary wear and tear on the rifle. Not to mention, it could be a soft shooting rifle had it not been over gassed. I won't name any companies doing this but the information is out there. This is one of the reasons I will only by from the top guys. I know I'm getting everything made to spec right down the the size of the gas port.

Late night rant over.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

That being said - if you do have a carbine length gas tube on your AR then can't you mitigate theses issues with a heavier buffer (H or H2)?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    That being said - if you do have a carbine length gas tube on your AR then can't you mitigate theses issues with a heavier buffer (H or H2)?

Not really. A heavier buffer won't stop all of that gas being forced through the tube. It will help mitigate some felt recoil and slow down the action a little helping with bolt bounce.

I have a carbine that I use a H3 buffer in with a Red Sprinco Spring which is considered an Extra Power Spring. It doesn't shoot as soft as my mids running H2 buffers with Blue Spinco Springs which are just considered enhanced springs.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I'm throwing the BS flag at their black Friday sale. 2/3 of the uppers that were listed as on sale never once came into stock. Is it a sale if you have no inventory to sell?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    **** PSA! I've been waiting for a 16" mid complete upper for 2 months! Nobody wants your carbine length ********! Eat a dick! Ok I'm done......carry on.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    **** PSA! I've been waiting for a 16" mid complete upper for 2 months! Nobody wants your carbine length ********! Eat a dick! Ok I'm done......carry on.

Not that severe, but I agree. I should have jumped on that deal earlier. I just want a plain jane 16" middy upper assembly.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Not sure why you have to wait two months. Got a Mid-length complete upper ($415 shipped) from PSA in the middle of October which I ordered two weeks earlier. Same deal for the 12" pistol complete upper.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD

Yep! I've been on EVERY morning at 9 am, since Mid-Sept looking for this upper.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...pers/psa-16-chf-mid-length-diamond-upper.html

When i called and asked about it a few weeks ago, the guy said they were waiting on more CHF barrels from FN, but I have seen multiple "premium" uppers going on sale with FN CHF barrels. They have also put the crap PTAC one up for sale with the YHM Diamond rail, so i know that's not whats holding it up. Not really sure why they would start producing some of these!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    got the dissipator upper i hope it doesn't suck

If you got this one, I would say this will make a fine rifle:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...a-16-cmv-cl-midlength-premium-dissipator.html

This means you got a rifle length gas tube. This is a GOOD thing. I would have bought one had it been available. Should be a smooth shooter. Also - you have a longer sight radius.

Now - here's the bolt toget:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/palmetto-state-armory-5-56-bolt-carrier-group.html

And stop being so negative!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom