• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I was looking for some sales today and came across a post about CZ Scorpion Evos having an Out Of Battery (OOB) problem. Having a CZ Evo (rifle) I went down the rabbit hole... Maybe I've been living under a rock but this was the first I'd heard of it and couldn't find any info here.

Turns out either the bolt and/or sear block pin can be faulty allowing the gun to fire OOB.
    1) Some CZ sear blocks are faulty and will allow the striker to go forward even if they aren't depressed into the bolt. Sounds like the solution to this is to get a new factory block pin. There is also a Titanium aftermarket available.
    2) The hammer riding over the bolt during reset peens the soft bolt surface around the sear block causing it to get stuck down in the bolt, defeating the in-battery safety. CZ will fix this but you can DIY just as easily by filing a small chamfer around the hole. You could be fine now but have this problem show up 1000rds later. So good to inspect once in a while.

You may have the problem and not know it. In a normal situation you would never know it. All it takes is trying to do a quick double tap or a round not fully loading for whatever reason and if you have the defect, bang...
    Looks like a simple inspection once in a while could save you. There are plenty of blown up guns on reddit and youtube so definitely not a one-off incident. I will be digging mine out of the safe to inspect. Unknown how many it really affects as the conditions for an OOB are rare in of themselves. Same reports going back years exist - so I must live under a rock. Anyway, just a PSA to inspect your Evo when you clean it and keep an eye out for issues.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I heard about that a while ago. Mine was fine, but I had reservations about handing it down to my daughter, so I sold it. At the time I didn't realize there was something that could be done for them. Either way, I got her a simpler rifle, but I still miss the Scorpion.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I heard about that a while ago. Mine was fine, but I had reservations about handing it down to my daughter, so I sold it. At the time I didn't realize there was something that could be done for them. Either way, I got her a simpler rifle, but I still miss the Scorpion.
    That was my first thought. My kid is getting into shooting more and he'd prob like the Scorpion if I dug it out.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for your post . I hadn’t heard of this. I must be under the same rock. Love my Scorpion.

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    Same here, thanks (now I’m REALLY glad we also have 3 Stribog A3’s)

And I just dropped Timney triggers in both our Scorpions, dayum…. :-(
    How would you rate your Scorpions vs the Stribogs? Was thinking of going stribog route but have lot invested in mags etc for scorpions.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How would you rate your Scorpions vs the Stribogs? Was thinking of going stribog route but have lot invested in mags etc for scorpions.
    IIRC, there is a lower you can get for the Stribog that uses most (but not all) CZ Evo mags.

Edit: Yeah, A3 tactical

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    IIRC, there is a lower you can get for the Stribog that uses most (but not all) CZ Evo mags.

Edit: Yeah, A3 tactical
    Holy shit. Did not know that. Thank you

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Stribogs are heavier but, roller delayed …. nuttin like it!

Scorpions are lighter but, blowback …

Now, if you can get the new A3 “Mini-Bog” that accepts Scorpion mags, well, best o’ both worlds!

(Pictured mini-bog at present runs on Stribog mags)

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpeg
      IMG_9135.jpeg
      452 KB · Views: 35
    • IMG_9136.jpeg
      IMG_9136.jpeg
      414.9 KB · Views: 52
    Last edited:

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Stribogs are heavier but, roller delayed …. nuttin like it!

Scorpions are lighter but, blowback …

Now, if you can get the new A3 “Mini-Bog” that accepts Scorpion mags, well, best o’ both worlds!
    If I had a special lady friend and was considering both which would you recommend as a primary defense Armageddon gun? Or neither...
    I don't know anything about these but I like the 9mm.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have observed this on just about every blowback gun on the market. I wouldn't blame this on CZ, it just goes with the territory on blowback guns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have observed this on just about every blowback gun on the market. I wouldn't blame this on CZ, it just goes with the territory on blowback guns.
    Pretty much my thought, too. Straight blowback gun doing straight blowback things. The Scorpion is no better or worse, really.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    ?

Looks like the SP9 A3S is 4.0# w/ no mag (4.2# w/ brace)

The CZ Evo 3+ Micro is 4.7#

I just went up to our “library” and hefted both and d*mn if you / that ain’t correct!

Crazy thing is, whil up there, I pulled the new Mini-Bog out and it feels just as heavy!

I can’t wait to show this to my wife but, I’mmagunna wait til after she’s done cooking me breakfast!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Ty! The scorpion has lots of recoil or no?

“lots” of recoil? No, not “lots”. Just more pronounced than delayed roller …

And um...is this a pistol, SBR or machine gun?

Repeat after me: “Braced pistol” :-)

If we’re still taking about your lady friend, suggest she try what my wife likes to have around the house: a Glock 19 or 26 with one in the chamber a 32-round stick sticking out the bottom …

(guess it was 2014-15, I was out-of-town for an extended period, she forgot and left one of our Glock 26’s w 32-rd stick in it sitting out on the lamp table next to her recliner … our regular cable guy showed up and had a helper with him that just happened to catch the gun out of the corner of his eye.

His reaction was like …:shocked3::shocked2:

Last edited:

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    “lots” of recoil? No, not “lots”. Just more pronounced than delayed roller …

Repeat after me: “Braced pistol” :-)

If we’re still taking about your lady friend, suggest she try what my wife likes to have around the house: a Glock 19 or 26 with one in the chamber a 32-round stick sticking out the bottom …

(guess it was 2014-15, I was out-of-town for an extended period, she forgot and left one of our Glock 26’s w 32-rd stick in it sitting out on the lamp table next to her recliner … our regular cable guy showed up and had a helper with him that just happened to catch the gun out of the corner of his eye.

His reaction was like …:shocked3::shocked2:

Great story.
    No my wife has a p365 already. I'm not a fan of long mags in single hand pistols. I mean braced pistols :)
    The CZ scorpion micro … with a Timney trigger upgrade …

Owning both, my wife abhors the stribogs because of their weight.
    Is your wife small?
    question why is this front end something im not seeing eslewhere on the nets? very sexay.

shape.jpg

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    …Is your wife small?…

No. She walks 2-4 miles every morning BEFORE her normal day (another several miles, easy) so, she has no “fat” on her; HOWEVER; she is 70 and is under pretty regimented treatments suppressing what would otherwise be out-of-control osteoporosis. She still shoots 16-yard trap with her Beretta AL390 …

Her favorite handguns she used to shoot a decade ago were a Langdon Tactical 92 Elite and 6” Ruger Security Six with a custom trigger and action job but nowadays, she really likes light guns.

Last count I think she has a half dozen LCRs / LCRx’s (22*, 22 WMR, .38 Spl, .38 Spl +P and 9mm, yep) and another 3 or 4 LCP’s in 22 and .380

Her favorites right now for Steel Challenge are a Taurus TX22 SCR and KelTec P17 (that KelTec is crazy lightweight)

*(.22 LCRx purchased from a MDS member in MD, via interstate transfer - thank you again!)

Attachments

• IMG_9116.jpeg
      IMG_9116.jpeg
      700.8 KB · Views: 15
    • IMG_9115.jpeg
      IMG_9115.jpeg
      703.6 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads