• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    It’s in the back of my truck to inspect further. It was at the weld but I didn’t look to deep to see if it was the weld or adjacent material. I’ll say… interestingly… when it buckled there the aluminum tubing buckled all the way to the cable attachment point (made it a bitch just getting it off the tree).

Happened originally- I think - while climbing down. Thought I just broke through a branch at the time. Another tidbit, this is the 180 - it is supposed to have more stress out there than others. My last summit was a steel model that lasted many seasons until I forgot it in the woods (and I used to sit on that top rail all the time to look behind the tree. This thing has been used less than ten times since new early 10/2021. I’ll definitely be calling Summit, but damn if I may be nervous to even use a replacement!

Wink’s saved the day, picked up a Millennium hang on and climbing sticks, so I managed to hunt the afternoon (wore me out hanging it, just because I was rushing despite it being a few years since I used a hang on and sticks). Ended up being a nice evening, even if I opted for my bow since I’ve had several good bucks on my cameras - and then proceeded to see nothing but dozens of does inside muzzleloader range, but past my comfort limit for the Ravin.

Oh! Speaking of Wink’s, I happened to chat up Jimmy at the gun counter last week and my lucky day, the man knows the 10ml-ii well and fixed mine, no charge at that (I was buying half the store - first time in there and I was a fat kid in a candy shop) :D

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I'm just gonna leave this here; anyone using a climbing tree stand and doesn't use a safety harness and line all the way up and all the way down(as well as the entire time they are in it), well that's doom on them.
    I do not do the tree stand thing, but i do high climbing and high work in my field of welding. A harness is a must for anything up in the air.
    Right on :thumbsup:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I’ll admit I used to be lax about a harness. I’ve gotten a lot better - but after today there won’t be anymore occasions where”damn I forgot to put it on… oh well, I don’t have time to go back to the truck…” Like, he’ll no. My land in Somerset is 72 acres in the middle of nowhere, a car will drive by four times in 24 hours. I am grateful the good Lord had me paying attention today (and more than a little spooked now that I’m out of the woods without Bambi on my mind)

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Definitely contact Summit. I had a Viper I had used for 10 + years. One day I noticed a hairline crack in one of the welds. I contacted Summit, they asked for pics at specific angles and locations. I was just hoping to get a $50 coupon towards a new one. They emailed me back and asked for my address to send me a new one. Never asked for a receipt or anything else. Also for $40 they let me upgrade to the Goliath stand. Great customer service

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I’ll admit I used to be lax about a harness. I’ve gotten a lot better - but after today there won’t be anymore occasions where”damn I forgot to put it on… oh well, I don’t have time to go back to the truck…” Like, he’ll no. My land in Somerset is 72 acres in the middle of nowhere, a car will drive by four times in 24 hours. I am grateful the good Lord had me paying attention today (and more than a little spooked now that I’m out of the woods without Bambi on my mind)

You're doing yourself (and untold others) a favor in reporting this. You're doing the manufacturer a big favor too. If they have any sense, and they probably have plenty enough sense to know that this is just the sort of issue they least need to be happening, they'll see it that way.

This might be a complete fluke. Then again, maybe not, and maybe they've seen this before. Not good in any event, especially with an obviously lightly used product of recent manufacture.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Was it a hang-on stand with cables to support the platform? People don't realize, those cables need to be replaced ever couple years. I used to replace them with chain.
    Neither. I've been trying to find a photo of the bottom foot platform but haven't been able to thus far. It resembled something like the foot platform in the photo below:

1666832120532.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom