• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I bought one of the 9mm AR uppers as well as the mag well adapter,bcg,and buffers from PSA. Had some problems with rounds jamming so PSA replaced the bolt. Next problem was the mag adapter moving around in the mag well. PSA replaced the adapter with an even worse one. Rather than going back and forth with PSA I decided to fix it myself. I had to file the front of the adapter flush with the mag well and drill and tap for a set screw to hold the adapter tight in the mag well. Took it to the range today and it works great. Hopefully the problem is solved.I ran about 100 rounds through it with only two jams and that was with some cheap remanufactured ammo. No problems with the good stuff. PSA customer service was great but I think this product has issues; especially the mag adapter. Lots of fun shooter now that it's working!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The mag adapter has a warning with it on the site now. States that you may have to drive it in and hold it with a dowel for proper function. Thinking that was your problem.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The mag adapter has a warning with it on the site now. States that you may have to drive it in and hold it with a dowel for proper function. Thinking that was your problem.

Where does it say anything about holding it in with a dowel? It does state that you may have to drive it in,but I don't see where it says anything about holding it in with a dowel.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    the block, mags and bolt are the most important parts to a 9mm ar build running well. Buy a quality block and go from there

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Interesting, My friend and each I got one of their mid-length 9mm kits, over the summer, fun as heck to to shoot no issues with about 500 rnds in mine and slight bit less in my buddies. Its sitting on a PSA lower, that was a pain in the arse to get the magblock in, had to oil up the magwell and use a mallet.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Fix the problem with a dedicated CMMG 9mm lower. I've got a few and they run really well. Make sure you have quality mags too.

Good Luck!

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Fix the problem with a dedicated CMMG 9mm lower. I've got a few and they run really well. Make sure you have quality mags too.

Good Luck!

I'm pretty sure the problem is solved. A simple set screw did the trick. I'm not sure who makes the PSA mags, but they seem to be very well made. Round count and time will tell.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the problem is solved. A simple set screw did the trick. I'm not sure who makes the PSA mags, but they seem to be very well made. Round count and time will tell.

Here's wishing you the best of luck. Glad you were able to make the repairs. Sends us a range report either way.

Good Luck!

altima98

Apr 6, 2008

I read somewhere that mecgar makes them, and they are pretty solid.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    what lower did you use?

I milled out an 80% lower. That should not be a factor as the mag well is not part of the milling process. As long as the lower is within spec it should work. Before the conversion I had no problem with this lower using it as an AR 15 lower. Standard mags fit perfectly.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    check to see if the mag well has a taper from top to bottom.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Back to the range today and it worked flawlessly. I'm really happy with this gun now. Very fun to shoot and more economical than the.223. I would still recommend this PSA product as long as you don't mind having to do a little modification to make it work right. Just some simple filing and adding the set screw to the mag well.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Follow up

Well two and a half years later and hundreds of rounds down the pipe and the AR 9 is running great. Though I'd follow up to this old post.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Planning my next build to be in 9mm. I have a Polymer80(not an recommendation) lower waiting for an upper to keep it company. The KAK magwell adapter is what I am considering along with Colt mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom