• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwaters4

Aug 14, 2012
    Fallston
    hello Im new to the reloading world. ive heard about people using lead cast bullets for cheap target ammo. i was wondering what the pros and cons using them were.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pros: Cheap

Cons: Can't be used in a stock Glock barrel

I've been using lead in my competition .40, it's actually more accurate with the lead bullets than with jacketed bullets. Plus I can order 1000 of them now, no wait, for $82 shipped.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Another pro is you can make your own, with the right molds and some basic equipment to melt lead.

Even buying raw lead to cast, you can make them for half the price or less of online cast bullets.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Lead is cheaper, and shoots better in pistols IMHO. The cost is far less if you self cast your own. For shooting steel - cast /lead is safer. Lead bullets usally splatter, or flatten, VS a jacketed that can bounce if it hits a steel target off angle.

The cons - barrel leading. If the cast lead bullet is not sized right, or insufficent lube, or too soft for the velocity its being driven at -can all contribute to barrel leading. There are tools to aid in removing lead from a bore (Lewis Lead Remover, or Copper Chore Boy). But barrel leading is minimal if you do it right.

Lead/Cast is not recommended on guns with polygonal rifling (Glocks the main offender with this)

Expansion control is another con. Copper bullet jackets, determines how the bullet will expand (or not expand) at its target. But if your shooting paper, steel, or general plinking, then the jacket is non issue anyways.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Pure lead is good for muzzleloaders and slugs. You want some tin and antimony for anything center fire and you want to drop them into water to harden them for center fire use probably with gas checks for rifle use.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Cons: Added exposure to lead and lead compounds especially if you mold your own.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Pros
    Cheaper, Many cases more accurate, increased penetration (depend on your alloy), you are not dependent on manufactures for bullets and casting is fun.

Cons
    Bullet casting is addicting because it is fun.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that glock says not to use them (the whole polygonal rifling thing), but many do use them. You must remember many firearm manufactures say not to shoot reloads at all.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Lead is cheaper than jacketed or plated whether you order it or cast it yourself.
    Another bonus is because it's softer than copper you can get higher velocity with lead due to less friction in the barrel.
    Biggest downsides for me are lead exposure, dirty gun. and increased smoke. I load a bunch of lead, jacketed, and plated depending on the gun and what I'm intending to do with that round.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Cons: Added exposure to lead and lead compounds especially if you mold your own.

Once the bullets are lubed you do not have direct contact with lead.

Casting bullets must be done outside and wash your hands in cold water often. Wear rubber gloves when possible but never around hot lead.

Pros and cons

Pros
    13 pounds of lead yields 500 158 grain .357 bullets if you cast them yourself.
    Current lead price is about $1.25 per pound.

Lead bullets require less gun powder vs jacketed bullets.

Cheaper to shoot in the long run

Cons

Guns are picky,
    I have one pistol that just does not like cast bullets.
    My 9x18 loves cast bullets even with the polygonal rifling barrel.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    hello Im new to the reloading world. ive heard about people using lead cast bullets for cheap target ammo. i was wondering what the pros and cons using them were.

Are you looking to cast for a pistol or a rifle? I am guessing pistol but if you indeed are thinking of casting for a rifle you are going to have a lot of other considerations to take as well.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    A big box of disposable medical gloves seems like a good choice when reloading or casting. A bit of cheap insurance.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Nothing wrong with gloves but I think you can get by with not eating, smoking or drinking when casting and washing your hand before you do. If actually casting (not reloading purchased bullets) a casting apron would be more beneficial as you get a small amount of lead splatter on your clothes and then bring it in the house. Have good ventilation or cast outside and use eye protection. Lead poisoning comes mostly from ingestion. The temps we cast at are not high enough for significant dangers. Stay away from lead in car batteries. And don't eat the bullets. The lead bullets are no more dangerous than the lead currently in the primers.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Lead poisoning is also more detrimental to children who are still growing. It gets in there bone marrow and stays with them for life causing long term disabilities. Old farts who are done growing can be treated if in the unlikely fact you are diagnosis with high levels of lead.

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    wttgtw has it right. Do not eat lead bullets ! Good ventilation,wash your hands,do not eat,drink or smoke while casting.Bulletman casts bullets 3-5 days a week,recent lead level was slightly elevated but nothing to worry about.
    WEAR SAFETY GLASSES ! Gloves and an apron.

Lead bullets are cheaper and in many cases more accurate than jacketed bullets.
    Make sure you clean copper fouling from barrel before shooting lead bullets for reduced leading.
    Sometimes a lead bullet can be too hard for intended use.For velocity over 1000fps a 15+ BHN usually(not always) leads less. For under 1000fps a softer bullet is usually best. It obturates to fill the bore,less chance of gas blow by. IMHO. :-)

For rifles a gas check is needed for velocity 1400fps or greater.

Casting yourself can be a lot like work,but the reward is cheap bullets you made yourself ! Sometimes for hard to find stuff it is the only way to go.

Of course,if you do not have time or desire to cast yourself,give us a call !

www.bulletmen.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom