Proper Contents of a Cleaning Kit for 9MM? Hearing Protection? Eye Ware?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Hi, All!

For the experts: Proper Contents of a Cleaning Kit for 9MM? What do i need at the min? Should I get a "pre-made kit"?

Hearing Protection? I am looking at some Walker's. Thoughts?

Eye Ware? I used to wear Edge. Very happy with them for non-shooting. About $80 / pair. Any better recommendations?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I use Home Depot safety glasses for eyewear - they could certainly be better, but they work well enough.

As for cleaning -

A good neoprene cleaning mat - I like the ones that have an exploded diagram of whatever pistol
    Bore brushes
    Jags
    Cleaning Rod
    Bore Snakes
    Cleaning patches
    Micro fiber cloths
    Solvent - Hoppes No. 9 is a favorite
    Cleaning brushes
    Lubricant - I have several. I've been using Hoppes gun oil recently based on the recommendation of my Spec Forces nephew, but I also have an oil can with Mobil 1 in it.
    Brass carbon scraper - I own this one:
    Amazon product ASIN B008PL87BK
    I picked up a lot of that stuff over time - basically you need to be able to clean the carbon fouling out of the gun and lubricate the parts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Need at minimum ?

Rod , with :
    Means to hold a patch
    A brush

Patches , for both bore , and wiping down

General purpose solvent of your preference

Lubrication of your preference .

Probably already have around house ; Q tips , old tooth brush .

" Complete Kits " ? Maybe , if the " kit " isn't very much more than price of rod alone . Murphy's Law - You'll want different solvent and/ or lubrication than comes with kit , more patches .

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Gun cleaning supplies and methods is almost a religious discussion.

For a basic setup for a modern 9mm pistol, you don't need much but I like to buy quality once. Especially when it's not that much more money than a cheap kit.

Rod - I'm a fan of Dewey and Pro-Shot. I don't use a rod on a regular basis but it's always good to have a quality one. I like using a Patchworm for general cleaning. Boresnakes and Otis kits are nice too.

Jag - Dewey or Pro-Shot

Bore Brush - Dewey, Pro-Shot or Brownells. Some of the cheaper brushes have sharp twisted ends.

Patches - Pro-Shot. Basically any 100% cotton patches are best. Some of the cheaper patches just don't absorb as well.

CLP

Toothbrush. The "M16" style brushes are nice because of the fat and the skinny end.

If you don't mind the idea of spending a little more on a nicer kit, an IP, Atlantic Guns in Rockville carries a large selection of Pro-Shot stuff.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    My routine for the barrel is foaming bore cleaner, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, dry patch, Hoppes #9 patch, Bore Snake, dry patch, CLP patch. If my last dry patch isn’t clean, I go back to Hoppes #9 until my last patch is clean.

I wipe all the metal down with some CLP and call it a day.

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    This is wonderful, all. Thank you.

I am a pretty-competent mechanic and agree on the advice: quality tools (and the right ones for the job) makes any job dramatically easier.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Things I use to clean my handguns:

1. Solvent
    2. Lube with needle applicator
    3. Pistol Cleaning Rod
    4. Nylon bore brush
    5. Nylon toothbrush
    6. Bronze toothbrush
    7. Cleaning patches
    8. Gun specific (tightly wound so they dont come undone like regular q tips) cleaning swabs
    9. Blue shop towels

You could definitely get away with less - modern guns really don't need to be THAT clean. But I like to have mine pretty damned clean and I clean them after each range trip.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I forgot to mention in my last post. A lot of people like the walker headsets. They didn’t work for me. I wear prescription glasses and sometimes double up but I could not get them to seal well.

If you’re just shooting by yourself, plugs and regular muffs are probably fine if indoors. Outdoors, regular old muffs might be good enough.

If you want to talk to people or hear more of what’s going on around you, electronic is very helpful.

I recently attended an outdoor training session and decided to spring for a set of Sordin supreme pro x with gel cups and they are awesome. I’m a member at AGC and on the pistol range there are carpenter bees flying around and I can hear them buzzing and which direction they are. The focus mode has been handy when trying to hear someone down the line calling for a cold range/ceasefire.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    In addition to items listed in the previous posts Maybe a dental pick metal / plastic to get into crevices our under extractors and such, and possibly Allen keys or torx bits tools if your running an optic and it gets loose on you.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    0CA04013-22E7-4B15-BCC3-BF2BDBBF2A19.jpeg

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    You guys are fancy.

Solvent, old toothbrush, paper towels, qtips, rubber gloves, and a pencil. For the minimum.

A cleaning kit to be “proper”

I use a cheap Winchester electrical hearing protection. Not as nice as the $50+ ear protectors, but I also use the ear plugs as well

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I haven't used a brush or patch on a rod through a barrel in probably 30 years. People still go through that much trouble nowadays?
    Oh my.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I do not clean my Glocks (or similar style semi-autos) regularly. I may wipe the inside if the slide and rails down after s spritz of ballistol then add a few drops of oil in the friction areas, but that’s it. I don’t think I’ve ever run a rod through a pistol barrel and some guns have thousands of rounds fired through them.

As for safety glasses, if you are older and wear readers, you can buy +0.5 or +1.0 safety glasses. They are great for getting a slightly better sight picture without impacting your distance vision enough to matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Bore snake, CLP or Ballistol, pipe cleaners, old rags.
    This. Do this. Handguns aren't the same as rifles. You generally clean the bore of a gun because fouling is negatively impacting accuracy. That doesn't really happen in handguns too quickly. Yanking a bore snake through thr barrel every few thousand shots is more than enough to keep it shooting as good as its going to shoot.

You're mainly interested in removing built up crud from places the impact function. So once it's field stripped, you're looking at using q-tips and rags to clean out the fire control group, the feed ramp, the magwell area(drag a rag through it), the striker channel(q tips again), the striker safety button & channel, the breech face around/under the extractor, the extractor claw itself, and the locking surfaces under and around the barrel lugs.

I generally just use a CLP of some kind(breakfree clp passed military tests, so that's a good option), and wipe the areas down with a rag, q tips, and wooden toothpicks for places like the extractor. I'll toss some clp on the bore snake and drag it straight out(don't pull it to the side or it can egg out your crown) from chamber to breech. The bore doesn't need to be spotless, but getting the lionshare of crud out is all it needs.

After, I just lube it with Lucas gun oil on the slide rail cutouts, the locking areas, the striker block plunger, and the fire control group near the sear. It takes 2 minutes tops to clean out 90% of stuff from the gun and get the functional areas all decrudded and lubed.

If I want a deeper clean, I just use hot water, dawn dish soap, and a toothbrush. It isn't really needed, but sometimes I like to take my gun to a spa day to feel pretty. This part is mostly for the lower half of the gun when excessive crud builds up around the fire control group. Dish soap is made to clean burnt oil from all kinds of surfaces...which is what's stuck to the gun. After a scrub in the suds, I rinse it thoroughly with hot water, blow dry it out, then re-oil everything.

You do not need to go crazy cleaning a modern handgun all the time and you do not need to drop hundreds on specialty cleaning gear. A bore snake, some kind of CLP, an old rag, and some q-tips is all you need.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    "I could've been a contender".

I shoot competitions and I'm old and NOT a contender, but magazine cleaning hasn't been mentioned. Maybe twice it's been dirty mags that cost me second to last place. Disassemble and clean your magazines.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    "I could've been a contender".

I shoot competitions and I'm old and NOT a contender, but magazine cleaning hasn't been mentioned. Maybe twice it's been dirty mags that cost me second to last place. Disassemble and clean your magazines.
    Keep them dry. Lube just holds dirt and dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom