• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I recently submitted an application for a Maine non resident CCW permit. My application was sent back because two of the three forms I sent in as proof of handgun training are more than five years old and the MD online training doesn't count. I already have a Florida non res permit. What is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to get proof of handgun training so I can resubmit my application? The turn around can be up to 90 days and I need the permit back before summer.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Online hunter's education course is what I used for mine (Indiana). Had to take a test, and I don't think the MD online would work, as they require class time to get the license, but another state should.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I want Maine because I go there every summer. By the way, this is the requirement I need to fill:

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety. The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I want Maine because I go there every summer. By the way, this is the requirement I need to fill:

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety. The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.

Our class will be fine for that. I know we've had folks apply to Maine before. The class that I mentioned at the Nation's Gun Show will be Sat. Feb 12 and Sun. Feb. 13. The Saturday class is about 2/3 full right now, Sunday is pretty wide open.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I recently submitted an application for a Maine non resident CCW permit. My application was sent back because two of the three forms I sent in as proof of handgun training are more than five years old and the MD online training doesn't count. I already have a Florida non res permit. What is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to get proof of handgun training so I can resubmit my application? The turn around can be up to 90 days and I need the permit back before summer.

Where are you located?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was going to suggest the NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol or NRA Basic Pistol class.

The NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol class can be given in 4 hours.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Is this one sufficient for a Virginia Carry Permit?

Jim

Yes it is. Its the main class that we do for the Virginia CHP.

We do this class at the Nation's Gun Show as the official trainers for the show. We also do this class twice a month in the Richmond area. Our certificate is accepted state-wide for CHP issuance.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yes it is. Its the main class that we do for the Virginia CHP.

We do this class at the Nation's Gun Show as the official trainers for the show. We also do this class twice a month in the Richmond area. Our certificate is accepted state-wide for CHP issuance.

Excellent! My fiance is signed up for the Saturday class. Which means I have five hours of quality gun fondling time!

Jim

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    NO need to travel to Virginia. We offer the courses that satisfy ME requirment right here is Maryland. I returned your email also.

Bryan Fletcher

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom