Project gun, or "this is why i prefer stainless"...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    This blued Ruger MK II spent a couple of years riding around in the leaky trunk of a 1977 Ford Granada.

It needs a LOT of surface rust removed, I have to detail strip the frame parts(the safety and bolt release are both currently solidly stuck in place), and decide how to refinish it. It also needs a recoil spring assembly.

:puke: for blued guns...

Attachments

• 20111114152704.jpg
      20111114152704.jpg
      4.5 KB · Views: 629
    • 20111114152648.jpg
      20111114152648.jpg
      3.6 KB · Views: 624

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    My mother left it there:rolleyes:...

Once I got the bolt broke free, it moves freely in the upper. The bore is still nice and shiny:D, so I am just going to do with it what I can, with the minimum of replacement parts. So far, I know it needs grip screws and the recoil spring assembly, but I haven't broken it all the way down yet.

Once done, I am thinking Krylon:innocent0...

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I had been thinking that I need to get some "no mar" type of punch, but on further reflection, does it really matter?

I mean, c'mon, look at that....

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    Blast the parts with baking soda? I remember reading an article in a hot rod magazine about the process. IIRC it uses high pressure water and baking soda. Not sure how well it would work on the rust but they reported it was able to strip the old paint and rust without damaging the chrome trim or the glass.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Super-duper 6 month no action update....

I almost forgot about this, sadly(my mom passed a couple of months ago and the wife and I were going thru her stuff that we had here) enough, and I am trying the "electrolytic method". Lots of rust and debris in the water, and I will show the results once completed...

Commercial rust removers were a dismal failure. This rust is deep...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    So far, all I have in the "vat" are the bolt and barrel assembly. All of the parts in the frame are currently rusted tight. We shall see how they turn out, and I will update this thread accordingly

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    90% + of the thick rust is off. Amazing. I now have the safety moving, albeit with a fair amount of effort and a sharp rap applied.

New pics to come in the AM...

Jackalope

Wish I had seen this earlier I just got done doing what you're starting on and could have made the rust striping much easier. Evaprorust is a bio degradable non toxic rust remover that you an buy at Pep Boys for like $25 for a gallon jug. Just drop it in for 24 hours and its bare, clean metal ready to be polished.

For the finish if you'd like I could give you a hand with rust bluing it. Yes it takes FOREVER to do but it looks awesome and you need a jack hammer to get it off.

Also I wouldn't recommend sand blasting it as that an pit the metal, maybe try glass beading or walnut shells as that isn't as harsh as sand.

If you need any help PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Here's my latest before pics...
    26326464002_large.jpg

And here's the after...
    15875409_large.jpg

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Sorry about your mom.

As far as the gun goes, you won't be able to buy a new lower, or frame, from Ruger. They don't sell them, so you need to make what you have work. Volquartzen sells an aftermarket from, and though nice, it would be cheaper ot buy a whole new gun. Tactical Solutions sells Pac-Lite barrel for them, but they are a bit pricey, and they need to go through the process just like a handgun purchase. Volquartzen sells a nice accurizing kit for around $100 IIRC, that gets you a target hammer, target triger, springs, etc. I put one in my MKIII 22/45, and it is awesome.

Keep the pics coming.

MH

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I detail stripped the frame:shocked3:, and the frame itself isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The safety and bolt hold-open lever were the worst parts, but I have them soaking in Liquid Wrench(the only thing I have handy at the moment), and will be putting the rest back into the "vat" with clean water. I will try and post pics later tonight.

Thanks for the encouragment guys, and I may take you up on the offer, jackalope.

Oh, and MH, thanks for the thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom