• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thread revival ...

From the 'it ain't over till the fat lady sings AG swings' file ...

Politico.com -
    Fresh DOJ loss in ‘Fast and Furious’ docs fight

In a ruling Monday night, U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson turned down the Justice Department’s request to dismiss a lawsuit brought by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee after President Barack Obama asserted executive privilege to prevent some records about the administration’s response to the “Operation Fast and Furious” gunrunning scandal from being turned over to Congress.

“This case presents the sort of question that the courts are traditionally called upon to resolve,” Jackson said in her 44-page decision, issued more than five months after lawyers argued the issue in her packed courtroom and more than a year after the House committee filed suit. “Dismissing the case without hearing it would in effect place the court’s finger on the scale, designating the executive as the victor based solely on his untested assertion that the privilege applies,” she wrote.

Jackson hasn’t ruled yet on whether Obama had authority to assert executive privilege over records never provided to the president or his advisers, but she concluded in her ruling Monday that the issue is an appropriate one for the courts to resolve.

“The Court cautions that this opinion should not be taken as any indication of its views on the merits of the dispute, which have yet to be briefed, argued, or considered in any way,” she wrote.

Is Holder goin' down ... well, time will tell ... but just like many other scandals from this administration, they're playing F&F as a ground game and will try to run out the clock.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Attachments

• Pavlich F&F.JPG
      Pavlich F&F.JPG
      15.3 KB · Views: 450

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    First and Second Amendment Freedoms mix in F&F

Interesting article over on Fox. Apparently John Dodson, the ATF agent who blew the whistle on Fast and Furious, is trying to publish a tell all book that the government is blocking.

The ACLU is taking up his case as an infringement of his First Amendment rights.

Where's the popcorn?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Interesting article over on Fox. Apparently John Dodson, the ATF agent who blew the whistle on Fast and Furious, is trying to publish a tell all book that the government is blocking.

The ACLU is taking up his case as an infringement of his First Amendment rights.

Where's the popcorn?
    Heard this on the radio this morning. Interesting indeed. Too bad the media will never talk about it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    With the ACLU involved, the media will be schizoid over the situation. How can they support the subject? How can they not support the ACLU?

Sweet.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    He filed a request for outside employment/activity, which they have the right to deny.

If he left atf, they probably would not be able to stop him.

No they need a reason. A good reason..' Good of the service' is going to be tough. Then there is the idea that he could just hand the manuscript over to the journalist that broke the story--- or have it show up in the Issa's in box.

It going to become public-- this move is stupid as it guarantees more publicity..

Sometime I think we don't appreciate the little ways the opposition helps us.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    No they need a reason. A good reason..' Good of the service' is going to be tough. Then there is the idea that he could just hand the manuscript over to the journalist that broke the story--- or have it show up in the Issa's in box.

It going to become public-- this move is stupid as it guarantees more publicity..

They aren't blocking the book because of its content (i.e. censoring it), they're barring Dodson from seeking outside employment, in this case selling his book to a publisher. Much harder to prove First Amendment violations there, but still possible I think.

(Side note: if he released it for free, meaning he's not making any money and therefore not technically employed by anyone, would that invalidate ATF's position? Maybe.)

You're totally spot on about ATF helping our cause with publicity though. You'd think people in government would know about The Streisand Effect by now. :sad20:

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    He filed a request for outside employment/activity, which they have the right to deny.

If he left atf, they probably would not be able to stop him.

Honest question -

If he releases the book for free under a Creative Commons license (I would think CC-BY-ND would be appropriate here) would he still have to ask for government approval?

They aren't blocking the book because of its content (i.e. censoring it), they're barring Dodson from seeking outside employment, in this case selling his book to a publisher. Much harder to prove First Amendment violations there, but still possible I think.

(Side note: if he released it for free, meaning he's not making any money and therefore not technically employed by anyone, would that invalidate ATF's position? Maybe.)

You're totally spot on about ATF helping our cause with publicity though. You'd think people in government would know about The Streisand Effect by now. :sad20:

Hahah thinking the same thing. :)

The book would be $0 and freely sharable. If he wanted the information to come out there's a lot of better ways to do it than asking.

If he wants money to support mounting legal bills...well carry on then.

Last edited:

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD

Nah, all they need is "The appearance of conflict of interest" as a reason.

Last edited:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    More things that go boom ...

Holder's DOJ Attorneys, Not ATF Agents, Let Grenades Go to Mexican Drug Cartels

Of course grenades, unlike evil black rfles, are illegal ... assembled. :innocent0

"At no point did ATF ever knowingly let this guy walk grenades. He never had live grenades while he was under surveillance. The stuff he had is not illegal in the United States. The only time it is illegal is when it's crossing the border," Special Agent Peter Forcelli said. "They were just parts, they weren't whole grenades."

At one point, Kingery was arrested by ATF agents as he tried to cross into Mexico, but the case was dropped by the Department of Justice under orders from former U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke and former Assistant U.S. Attorney Emory Hurley.

ATF agents did their job in trying to stop Kingery and grenade parts, which would eventually be assembled into explosives, from going south into Mexico. Department of Justice attorneys Burke and Hurley set him free and ignored the case for years, resulting in the murders of multiple Mexican police officers last week. Kingery is now being held and prosecuted in Mexico by Mexican authorities after his grenade mill and factory was located near Mazatlan. After a search warrant was executed, authorities found Kingery had trafficked enough material to build 800-1000 grenades. He's facing 40 years in a Mexican prison.

Dennis Burke, now where have I heard that name before ?

Breitbart.com -
    Former US Attorney Behind Assault Weapons Ban Ran Fast & Furious

Those who have been covering Operation Fast and Furious for 18 months know all about former US Attorney Dennis Burke. The general public doesn't know much about him, because like many of the high officials involved in Fast & Furious, he was allowed to resign quietly and face no consequences for his actions.

And, how does this apply to Dodson ?

FoxNews.com -
    Watchdog report says DOJ official retaliated against ‘Furious’ whistle-blower, lied about it

An Office of Inspector General report showed that Dennis Burke -- the former chief of staff for Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano appointed as U.S. Attorney for Arizona by President Obama in September 2009 -- lied when asked if he leaked sensitive documents to the press meant to undermine the credibility of ATF whistle-blower John Dodson.

CBSnews.com - Sharyl Attkisson is on it.

Deadly drug cartel shootout with Mexico police linked to "grenade-walking" scandal

Last edited:

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    This issue has effectively been buried by the mainstream media
    At this point there needs to be a real ""smoking gun" that puts something to light that has to be addressed otherwise ......

what-difference-does-it-make-meme-generator-what-difference-does-it-make-ee8d52_zps7f4cd1051.jpg

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Nah, all they need is "The appearance of conflict of interest" as a reason.

Not going to work -- allegations of criminal misconduct, and public right to know will trump it. See whistle-blower statute and also pentagon papers.

At best he would be denied financial proceeds., as I , hopalong and at least one other person mentioned ( sorry i forgot who but it's just above this post I am sure ) .

Give it away -- done.

Sell it -- more delay more publicity and then they give it away anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom