Progressive presses. Who has what and how do you like it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdpuser

Dec 24, 2012
    Dillon Square Deal

I have a Dillon Square Deal in 9mm ... haven't used it yet ... my wiser half urged me to take the NRA reloading course before I set this thing up ...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a Dillon Square Deal in 9mm ... haven't used it yet ... my wiser half urged me to take the NRA reloading course before I set this thing up ...

The Square Deal takes only pistol calibers and requires proprietary dies. Why limit your self by getting the Square Deal? Go buy a RL 550 B so you can do pistol and rifle. Just buy extra toolheads and stuff.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Since we are talking a lot about Dillon presses, I have a question. I just got a 550B and plan to reload both 9mm Luger and .45 ACP. I've got the dies for both, but just one tool head. It's going to make sense to get another tool head, right? And if I start reloading .223, it will probably make sense to get a separate tool head for that too?

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Since we are talking a lot about Dillon presses, I have a question. I just got a 550B and plan to reload both 9mm Luger and .45 ACP. I've got the dies for both, but just one tool head. It's going to make sense to get another tool head, right? And if I start reloading .223, it will probably make sense to get a separate tool head for that too?
    The tool heads are generally big time savers.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

It is recommended that you get the quick change kit and the caliber conversion kit. In the quick change kit you will get a toolhead and a powder measure. The caliber conversion kit includes the shellplate, indexing pins, and a powder extension/bell. You will need one of each plus dies to load anything on your Dillon RL 550B.

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    To give the financially challenged some hope:

I am using the Lee Pro 1000 for the last 10 years with great success. I go through a combined 300+ rounds per week of 9mm, 357Sig, 40S&W, 44Mag, 5.56x45 and 300BLK year round. The Pro 1000 does them all without tying up thousands of dollars or lot of space.

308 Win, 270 Win, and light reforming (5.56 brass to 300BLK) are done on a Lee classic 3-hole turret. For bullet resizing or swaging I use a RCBS Rock Chucker that was actually my first press.

I could justify and afford a Dillon but the Lee progressive does the job. I bought it with the attitude "If it breaks, I buy something better". But it just won't die or let me down.

pilgrim

The tool heads are generally big time savers.

rl550b-newtop.jpg

Yea, RL550B press with extra toolhead with powder tube. get toolhead for each caliber you load. Why yes, I am that lazy.

bigpapa1080

They call me Horseface
    Would it be a problem for me to come check out someone's setup once I get back to MD in late May? I would like to see one first person before I take the plunge, youtube only shows me so much. I live in the Perry Hall/White Marsh area but wouldn't have an issue riding around the beltway if I had to.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Order a second tool head. Not only will it save time it will allow you to keep your die settings. I recommend buying a quick change set that includes the powder measure.

The only thing that will add time then is changing out the primer system from large to small.

Would it be a problem for me to come check out someone's setup once I get back to MD in late May? I would like to see one first person before I take the plunge, youtube only shows me so much. I live in the Perry Hall/White Marsh area but wouldn't have an issue riding around the beltway if I had to.

If your willing to ride down to Southern Maryland, check with BOB at Maryland ReloadR in Pomfert, MD. You will be able to do side by side comparisons at his shop before you buy.

pilgrim

Not a problem, but you would be riding around the DC beltway to visit me. I live near Engage.

Bob near Waldorf and has set up the 5550, 650, and 1050.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WRT the priming system, for my 650 I bought a second priming system. So I pull two bolts and swap the entire system. And change the primer punch piece. A minute or two.

Tools heads are great, and the full conversion setup with the powder die and power measure is GREAT.

I can swap calibers in a few minutes, maybe 5 at the most.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    Hornady lock and load AP. I like the lock and load bushings. I don't like the priming system or the powder hopper. I usually end up using it as a single stage press for rifle cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom