Progressive presses. Who has what and how do you like it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigpapa1080

They call me Horseface
    The name is pretty much in the title. I have been reloading for a while with a buddy of mine and I finally decided to get my own set up. I'm pretty sure I want to go the progressive route since I'll be reloading mostly 45 ACP, 9mm, .308, .223, and .30-06 in order from most to least. I'll possibly expand to reload .243, .357, and .44 Mag as well. Can progressive presses be set accurately enough for competition style reloading or should I still have a separate single stage for that? I'm leaning towards a Dillon 550 so far.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dillon 650. With case feeder, it is VERY slick and FAST.

550 does not auto index the shell plate. And only has 4 stations, so no chance of using a powder checking setup.

Yes, there are people even reloading rifle rounds for long range shooting (600 and further) on Dillon 650s.

For pistol, lots of competitors reload on progressive presses.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I reload all of those on my Lee Loadmaster, but I'm anal about my long range rifle rounds. I pull the auto index bar and operate it a single stage / turret mode. I resize then prep the cases, then put the bar back in and prime and drop the powder in 10 round batches, then I check each charge on the scale. Finally I seat the bullets. I only do this for accurate longe range stuff (500 yds+). For straight plinking, hunting and my AR, straight progressive.

The difference in accuracy is miniscule at 300 yards and less. No need to waste time unless you are really serious and have a long distance to cover.

Last edited:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I really like my RL550B. I have used simpler systems in the past, and this is way faster. Some have said the 550 is easier if you swap calibers often. The 650 is faster of course, as well as being more expensive. I can use the 550 as a single stage when I need to be slow and highly detailed.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I use a Hornady Lock-n-load and REALLY like it. My only gripe is the priming system which IMO is the weak point. If I hadn't have shared this with my brother, I would have paid the extra $$ and gone with the Dillon XL650.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I run a Dillon 650 for straight walled cartridges and use a 1050 for bottle neck rifle cartridges.

The 1050 has more stations to accommodate brass prep. I use a trim die and primer pocket swage on the press to speed things up.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Hornady Lock-N-Load. Love it. Ive had it for about 3-4 years and its been great.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I use a 550B, had it for about 15 years. It is a great press and I like to experiment with other presses for fun, this one has stayed on my bench.
    Only complaint is switching from large to small primers is a pain, in a perfect world buy 2 and leave them set for the primer size you will use.
    I have had most of the others some are good, some OK, Lee just plain sucks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On my 650, I bought an entire second primer feeder. So to swap small to large or back, two bolts and the ram. A minute or two.

But no matter what, Dillon customer service is great.

Just got off the phone with them. I had a couple of issues, they are sending new parts, but I also lost a locator button. My fault, they are just giving me a replacement.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've had an RL450b with the upgrade for 20+ years. I'm upgrading to an RL550, that should say it all.

My only criticism? The primer change on my 450b from small to large primers could be easier its a PITA as it is.

You can still use the 550 as a single stage, but I seldom ever do as it really doesn't actually gain you anywhere as much as you might think it does in thoery.

A while back I loaded 2 lots of ammunition for my Rem 700 shilen heavy-barreled long range rifle. One lot I did the whole "one-at-a-time seperate depriming, cleaning seating thing followed by measuring powder to 1.10 Gr off the press & dropping the charge into the case at station 2 & so on" thing. The other lot I just ran through normally with the same dies, settings & components. The difference was pretty negligable for both velocity, variations & SD & accuracy.

I do deprime & clean primer pockets off press still, but that's it, the press does everything else. Try the same test once you get set up, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, instead of using a progressive as a single stage, pick up a single stage for those operations.

I just had to pull about 100 rounds. I used an RCBS collet puller in my Lyman single stage. The single stage was nice to get my hand in to catch the bullet.

My bench - Dillon 650 and Lyman single stage. The best of both worlds.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I swear by my Dillon 550. I'm reloading 40 and 308 with it currently. If I want ultra precise powder charges, I will throw the powder by using a Lyman 55. If I just want range ammo I let the powder thrower on the 550 go to town. Once you set the dies, they will not change unless you change them. See the link in my sig or check the stick in the reloading section for a list of stuff that you can get, that will get you started off on the right foot. There are links directly to the products to make life easier. Best of luck and welcome to the joys of a progressive reloader!

bigpapa1080

They call me Horseface
    I like your idea pinecone. That's kinda what I was thinking about doing later on. I'll have a few hundred rounds of my good long range .308 ammo ready to go so it should last a little while. There aren't many places I can really get out there with it in the mid-Atlantic anyways (500+, yeah Alaska has spoiled me). It's mainly gonna be for the AR and the pistol ammo since my dad and sister both have memberships over at Freestate now. Hopefully I'll see some of you there sometime.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I load my pistol and .223 on the 650. Max speed is .45 at about 1000 rounds per hour. .40 and 9mm a bit less.

.223 I have done it one and two pass method. Two pass is a tool head set up for decapping (Lee Universal for mil primers) and sizing die. I run cases through this and then tuble to remove lube, swage primer pockets if needed, then run through with a second tool head for priming, powder, bullet and crimp.

One pass requires that mil cases already have the primer pockets done, and I just lube the cases with Dillon spray lube and go. Then tumble the loaded rounds with a bit of alcohol added to the corn cob media to remove the lube.

I load my .308 and .30-06 on the single stage.

BUT, I know of serious long range shooters who reload .308 on a 650 also.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I use an older single stage as well, my point was that with the 550 you have the option of going single-stage. Right now I deprime on the single stage so I can clean primer pockets before reloading.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    OP:

IF you can find a RockChucker (RCBS) press, prep your rifle cases on that (size/deprime) and then trim the cases and clean the primer pockets. (I use a Little Crow "WFT" trimmer for .223 and .308.)
    I also inspect the rifle cases for possible casehead separation issues.

Then, move to the Dillon RL-550B for priming, powder charging, bullet seating, crimping.

For pistol cases, I usually don't mess with trimming cases (unless I'm doing a LOT), but, rifle cases, I'm anal about case prep.
    I like my rifle cases clean, primer pockets clean, trimmed evenly. I like small groups!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom