• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At least I think they're Colt. Anyway, I shot my first USPSA match in 1.5 years this past weekend and I used my CMMG PCC. I had two epic magazine failures during the match :mad54: I had brought 4 mags, two Colt(?), one ASC, and one C-Products. I put the question mark there because the mags aren't labeled. Anyway, last night I tested the magazines out and the two unmarked mags would scatter the rounds out of the magazine. This happens about halfway through a magazine on one and from a full mag for the other. Any guesses why? Can I futz with the feed lips to make the rounds stay in? Am I making sense?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i'm assuming you're shooting a 9mm ar.
    its possible that the spring/follower is catching in the mag body. perhaps a good cleaning is in order.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Fortunately, I have four other magazines for this rifle. The two magazines triple fed in the middle of separate stages, which caused me much consternation and a lot of time per stage. Looks like they're going into the parts bin. The new ASC mags seem to work fine, too. They're $20 a pop.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    At the Chantilly gun show this past weekend, I had a conversation with Mark from Precision Firearms about ASC mags and he said he simply stopped carrying them because of feed problems.

He now only recommends Metalform mags. More expensive, but they work.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I found that my metal form 32 rounders work best with only 25 rounds in them

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    At the Chantilly gun show this past weekend, I had a conversation with Mark from Precision Firearms about ASC mags and he said he simply stopped carrying them because of feed problems.

This.

I have a bunch of ASC mags I haven't even removed from packaging because they take so much work to function in either of my 9MM AR's.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

^^^This. I bought Metalform mags from him for use with my CMMG lower and upper. For the first 300 rounds I had an issue with blunt tipped bullets not feeding correctly (UMC), round nose fed fine. The problem finally cleared up on its own after the gun and mags got some cycles on them. I didn't clean the gun at all during this time period.

The Metalform mags have a pretty thick coating on them and the mag catch release was binding up a little making it very difficult to operate. This also cleared up on its own as the mags and gun got several cycles on them...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I left the Colt mags at home yesterday and went with the new ASC and C-Products mags for the Quantico Steel Challenge. After the first stage, I decided I didn't need to load to full capacity, especially after one of the ASCs puked on the second run. So 26 rounds per mag per stage. I kept a full C-Products mag on my belt just in case. That went pretty well. I placed 5th overall, second in PCC. I am not rated in Steel Challenge for PCC. The four people who beat me were one Master PCC, one Master RFPO, and two B Class in RFPO. Not bad for someone who hasn't shot Steel Challenge in over a year with a fairly new firearm. Rankings for yesterday https://practiscore.com/results/html/4e3a948a-bf14-4889-ad1b-18238986ce18

Most of my runs were in the 3s, with a few 4s to push me into 5th place. It kind of defeats the purpose of having big stick mags if I can't load them up for USPSA, so they'll be my second mags while I run the C-Products mags for the stages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom