• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    So I just finished my first build the other day. It's an ar15 chambered in 300Blk. I am using both super and subsonic Remington umc ammo. I didn't think anything of this until one of the guys on the range mentioned it is a problem. The mouth of the casing is kind of bent in alittle bit. So instead of having a crisp circle it's a circle with a quarter of the circle being flat. I will post some pics in a few minutes. He was saying something is hitting somewhere which could cause the rifle to jam. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The case mouth is probably being smacked on the brass deflector. If so, no big deal. That what it's there for.

Use something to open the mouth back up. I use a tapered nail set punch and just push it into the opening. It rounds it out good enough for the dies to function like intended.

A tool like that is useful, especially if you pick up range brass that has been stepped on.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Okay thanks all. I just trust what he is saying so I figured id ask. I kinda thought it was hitting the extraction port on the way out. But the brass deflector thing makes sense

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    this is what i have as far as the brass coming out

Attachments

• IMG_2694[1].jpg
      IMG_2694[1].jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 177

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Look at your brass deflector, I'll bet you $20 that's where it's hitting and bending the case mouth in.

My 300BLK did the same thing with factory ammo (sonic or subsonic), doesn't do it on my handloads though... ;)

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Look at your brass deflector, I'll bet you $20 that's where it's hitting and bending the case mouth in.

My 300BLK did the same thing with factory ammo (sonic or subsonic), doesn't do it on my handloads though... ;)

id bet you the 20 but id lose. i have noticed the brass markings there. i didnt think thatd bend the mouth but now im sure it is. hopefully starting next week i can start making some hand load. waiting on dies, chop saw, and some bullets

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    i put black hi temp rtv silicone on the brass deflector to prevent that for reloading

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    id bet you the 20 but id lose. i have noticed the brass markings there. i didnt think thatd bend the mouth but now im sure it is. hopefully starting next week i can start making some hand load. waiting on dies, chop saw, and some bullets

I'd only make a bet if I was sure I was going to win. ;)

With my handloads, I don't have the case mouth damage anymore, but they still deflect off the deflector (I believe the case head is smacking into it on exit), so don't expect to never have brass transfer on it again. But with a tried/true load, your case mouths should fare better.

I've found my happy spot with mine (finally, I did something right!!) and they're staying there.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I've never noticed damage from my .223 hand loads but I see the brass marks on the deflector all of the time. I'm not to worried about the bent casings now that I've had several people tell me it's normally. It's nothing that a resizing die can't fix

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Even my cheap Lee dies pop those out w/out a issue, so your in good shape.

.223's a longer case, so there's not much room for rotation on exiting vs a 300BLK case, I very rarely had case mouth damage on .223 loads, but there was always plenty of brass transfer on that deflector.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Lee dies maybe be cheap but they suit my needs :) I was able to find some lee dies in stock online last night. Should be here this week hopefully. I can get all of the shots out of my rem700 .223 to touch. All handliads going through lee dies

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Aside from my starting days, when I ruined 2 FL-sizer dies by not lubing enough (whoops), I've never felt the need to spend more than Lee's asking price for my needs.

Their 300BLK dies work well enough that I haven't thought about upgrading. If I was chasing maximum accuracy, then yeah. But I already get sub 2" groups with the Lee, so that's fine for my needs right now.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Yeah I destroyed a sizer deprimming pin by not lubing enough. I got a casing stuck and tore the rim off the casing. I took the rod out and well melting the brass also melted the deprimming rod. Other than that I haven't had any problems. With the cleaner that I use for brass, it leaves the 9mm slick enough that I don't even need lube. Those all use lee dies

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Every mistake is just another lesson learned IMO, they're bound to happen at some point. :)

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I just wish it wasn't such an expensive mistake. Tho I've made mistakes alot worse than that. But at least I know that a propane torch and deprimming rod dont mix

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom