• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Recently went out to sight in a Nikon p223 3x9 optic today but it didn't want to hold a zero. I'm using it on a 14.5" suppressed AR with 55gr PMC ammo. I was only able to get two shots to group where I was aiming but then it would start giving me errant shots. I'm no expert marksman but I can hit a bullseye at 50yds with a RDS no problem without the results I was getting today. All the bolts are tight on the mount as well. I can't figure out why I would be having this hard of a time sighting in a rifle. Anyone else have a problem like this?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Is the mount solely on one portion of rail? As in railed upper only or railed handguard only? If not and the handguard is not a free floating type it could be flexing when the rifle weight is supported. Also remove the mount and check for gouges in the rails to see if it was truly locked down. It could be an out of spec mount bouncing back and forth in between the rail slots. If available try mounting it on a different rifle. Try different ammo too. Also try shortening the range it was being zeroed. Last let someone else try it. And check for an 1D10T malfunction make sure you understand how to make adjustments on the scope.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Take the suppressor off and try again. Also, try different ammo.

Gonna give that a try tomorrow. Only took one type of ammo with me and it got too dark before I could try w/o the suppressor.

Is the mount solely on one portion of rail? As in railed upper only or railed handguard only? If not and the handguard is not a free floating type it could be flexing when the rifle weight is supported. Also remove the mount and check for gouges in the rails to see if it was truly locked down. It could be an out of spec mount bouncing back and forth in between the rail slots. If available try mounting it on a different rifle. Try different ammo too. Also try shortening the range it was being zeroed. Last let someone else try it. And check for an 1D10T malfunction make sure you understand how to make adjustments on the scope.

Mount is only on the upper portion. The handguard is free floating but I don't have it bridged. I'll check the mount but everything looked good when I mounted it. Used blue loctite to secure all the bolts so they didn't back out. I started at 30yds and was grouping(still having the same issue though) close to the bull and moved it to fifty to try finish her off due to losing light. Good idea on getting someone else cause it could definitely be an 1D10T error. I never discount that one. :toothless

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    "RDS"???

Is the only new thing on the rifle the scope? Or is it a complete new rig to you?

If you have another rifle, test the ammo unless it is from a known lot/batch that you have used before.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    "RDS"???

Is the only new thing on the rifle the scope? Or is it a complete new rig to you?

If you have another rifle, test the ammo unless it is from a known lot/batch that you have used before.

Red dot sight. It's Aimpoint Comp m4s and it held zero just fine with and without the suppressor as well as 55gr and 62 gr ammo. This is my only AR at the moment but it's had quite a few rounds through it. I'm gonna try the 62 gr ammo but I'm thinking mopar might be right with the 1D10T error. I was rushing to the time of day. Might have to take a weekend trip to the range and take my time.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    Kfred, Some great idea's on things to check out. Even with non-optimal ammo and 50 yards i would expect a semi consistant grouping. Definitely having an extra set of eye's on the problem may help. In my experiences it is usually a pairing of the ring to scope, ring to base or base to rifle. Please keep me informed, if there is a problem with your optic I would like to know about it. The P-223 3-9 has been a stellar performer and honestly I have not heard of one problem, but as we know, there can always be a first.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Kfred, Some great idea's on things to check out. Even with non-optimal ammo and 50 yards i would expect a semi consistant grouping. Definitely having an extra set of eye's on the problem may help. In my experiences it is usually a pairing of the ring to scope, ring to base or base to rifle. Please keep me informed, if there is a problem with your optic I would like to know about it. The P-223 3-9 has been a stellar performer and honestly I have not heard of one problem, but as we know, there can always be a first.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go tomorrow afternoon directly after work. Hopefully I will be able to get it squared away. I'll report back in and let everyone know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom