• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've tried twice to reload 30-30 ammo with the FTX bullet and minimum loads of Leverevolution and H335. The bullet will not seat far enough. Anyone have any ideas about this?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Are you saying you can't chamber a round when the bullet is seated to the appropriate depth in the case?

Or are you saying you can't get the bullet to seat to the correct depth in the case?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've tried twice to reload 30-30 ammo with the FTX bullet and minimum loads of Leverevolution and H335. The bullet will not seat far enough. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Just in the event......

You sure you have the FTX bullet designed for 30-30 (#30395 if 160 grain) ?

Because they make another .308 diameter FTX bullet as well.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The cannelure is much higher on the bullet.

Resulting in a shorter overall cartridge.

ftx 3030 001.jpg

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I've been using the 140 MFTX with 32 grains of LeverRevolution powder and have had no issues. The case is full but not compressed.
    The 140 MFTX is about the same length as the 160 FTX so seating is not radically different lengths.
    If you are putting 37 grains (max) in there, it may be a compressed load. I've read about different case charging methods that allow the powder to settle more tightly in the case, maybe look into that.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Look up the minimum loads in the Hornady manual- that's what I tried.

I'm sure I have the right FTX bullet-the stock # matches and it even says 30-30 on the box.

I also took the bullet out of a factory ammo round and measured the powder in it- 34.3 grains of (?). They don't let you know what they're using but it's way more than what I was trying. The bullet was the right length in the factory bullet.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you can't seat the bullets, I'd say you've started the crimping operation before the bullet is fully seated.

Back the die out so there's no chance of crimping the case neck.

And try again.

PS: If you included more information, more folks would be inclined to give advice.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    If you can't seat the bullets, I'd say you've started the crimping operation before the bullet is fully seated.

Back the die out so there's no chance of crimping the case neck.

And try again.

PS: If you included more information, more folks would be inclined to give advice.

Nope. I just resized the bullets and tried to seat them. The bullets stop for some reason. I can hear the powder moving in the bullet but the bullet will not move anymore.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Nope. I just resized the cases and tried to seat the bullets. The bullets stop for some reason. I can hear the powder moving in the cartridge but the bullet will not seat any deeper.
    Fixed it for ya:) Not trying to be a prick/"clip/magazine" Nazi, but when describing something technical like reloading, one should strive to be as accurate as possible.
    Are you full length sizing or neck sizing? New brass or used brass? Have you measured the length of the brass? Are your dies set up and adjusted correctly? Using correct shell holder? I know all of these questions seem elementary and I'm not insinuating that you're not knowledgeable, its just that I've seen people(me included) overlook the simplest things sometimes.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Let's try this. Cuzz this happened to me when using the FTX line in a .460 S&W. It kicked my azz for a while. Then the light came on.

The FTX has a rubbery nose. If you're using a flat seater plug or a shallow radius seater plug, those plugs will deform the rubber nose. The nose will compress before the bullet is seated.

You'll need to buy a seater plug that bears on the hard ogive/jacket of the bullet. If you have the equipment and tools, you can modify an existing plug.

Look closely at your bullet tips and see if they are in any way deformed or have a visible smudge on them where they contacted the seater plug. If they are/do, you found the problem.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    It seems like it hits something or bottoms out as it gets .02-.05 away from the OAL. I'm able to cycle the rounds through my Marlin 30AS OK. Should I still try to use them?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If they chamber and they cycle and they can cycle out of your receiver with the bullet intact, then use them.

Is your shell carrier hitting the bottom of die on the up stroke while trying to seat the bullets?

This can happen when folks turn the die instead of the plug when adjusting seating depth.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot 3 bullets but didn't really get an idea of their accuracy. I'm going to load some more tomorrow and shoot at a target.

I'm just going to use up the box and then stick with the round nose bullets. I have no issues loading them and they're good for what I'm going to use the rifle for. Relatively close shooting in wooded areas from blinds.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I shot 3 bullets but didn't really get an idea of their accuracy. I'm going to load some more tomorrow and shoot at a target.

I'm just going to use up the box and then stick with the round nose bullets. I have no issues loading them and they're good for what I'm going to use the rifle for. Relatively close shooting in wooded areas from blinds.

Using a projectile other than round nose, in a 30-30, is inherently dangerous. Please stick with the round nose projectiles, for your safety and the safety of others around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom