• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I'm using a Lee Auto-Disk powder dispenser (not the pro version) on my Lee Turret and I can't seem to get a 100% consistent throw of powder on my loads. I'm using the 1.02 disk and getting around 10.7-11 grains of powder on each (The starting load recommended is 10.4). I make sure the way I actuate the lever is the same each throw but it just doesn't come out 100% consistent. Is this likely due to the type of powder?

My processor has been to remove the old primer, insert the new, and then resize and throw powder... After throwing the powder I zero my digital scale with the little powder thimble thing on it, then empty the brass into the little thimble thing. Sometimes I get 10.6 or 10.7 and I have (although not near as often) got up to 11. It seems pretty unpredictable which seems to be a big negative. Max load for the round is around 14gr.

I only got the blue dot because I needed something in a pinch and am noticing that it tends to stick a good bit... I wanted to use Winchester 231 but Gander Mountain didn't carry it when I was out. I'll be placing a order for 231 and just wondered if anyone else had this issue with blue dot or other flake powders and if it is indeed the problem?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While Blue Dot is a fine powder , albeit not as popular in handgun applications 25 or 30yrs ago , metering well is not one of its virtues. As a rule of thumb Ball powders meter well, and flake powders with smaller flakes somewhat beter.

Are you looking for a powder of Blue Dots speed/ applications ? Or did you really want a fast-ish to medium-ish powder in the first place ?

W-W 231 (or identical HP-38) is a great powder for what it does , and meters well.

For more of a functional replacement of Blue Dot , think Power Pistol , AA 7 , possably AA 9 , and probably more ball powders that escape me at the moment. 800X will meter much beter than Blue Dot also.

Give us a hint which cal(s) , and type of loads you are seeking.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    While Blue Dot is a fine powder , albeit not as popular in handgun applications 25 or 30yrs ago , metering well is not one of its virtues. As a rule of thumb Ball powders meter well, and flake powders with smaller flakes somewhat beter.

Are you looking for a powder of Blue Dots speed/ applications ? Or did you really want a fast-ish to medium-ish powder in the first place ?

W-W 231 (or identical HP-38) is a great powder for what it does , and meters well.

For more of a functional replacement of Blue Dot , think Power Pistol , AA 7 , possably AA 9 , and probably more ball powders that escape me at the moment. 800X will meter much beter than Blue Dot also.

Give us a hint which cal(s) , and type of loads you are seeking.

Thanks for the response! I'm looking to shoot a 125gr .357 load just for regular target shooting at the range.

I'm also going to need to load 9mm and 380 auto.. potentially 44 magnum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom