• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I have only been in Virginia a little over two years now. So I will be the first to tell you - I'm not up to speed on the different laws regarding face-to-face sales, etc.

But I have a question which is very perplexing to me. I literally live on the border of VA/NC - the border is my property line.

I want to transfer a AR15 receiver to my neighbor across the street in NC.

If I understand this correctly, I must go through a FFL because a receiver could become anything, not just a long rifle - correct?

What if I simply want to transfer a AR15 long rifle to my neighbor - can I sell it face-to-face to him (I know he's able to have guns, he's an avid hunter and has a concealed carry permit).

I know I can go into NC and buy a long gun from a vendor. And I believe he can come into VA and do the same - it's just that face-to-face sale thing I need to understand better.

If I just wanted to transfer him a receiver - it looks like it would cost $25-$30 for a FFL transfer fee, and possibly a NICS fee on top of it - would be cheaper just to buy one within state.

I'm confused, any help would be appreciated - thanks!
    -Tom-

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Out-of-state private gun sales require transferring through an FFL dealer. Federal law since 1968.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Need to go through an FFL - Not because it could be a handgun/long gun, but because you are residents of different states. F2F is only between VA residents (or maybe NC residents too, I don't know NC laws). FYI, you can transfer both handguns and rifles F2F between VA residents.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Yeah gotta drop it off at an FFL for the transfer

That kinda sucks, You can buy from a vendor across state lines but not private individual. Hummm, stupid laws.

But got it - thanks!

Cheaper for him to just buy one in his state. Transfer fees are more than half the cost of a receiver.

Thanks again.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    That kinda sucks, You can buy from a vendor across state lines but not private individual. Hummm, stupid laws.

But got it - thanks!

Cheaper for him to just buy one in his state. Transfer fees are more than half the cost of a receiver.

Thanks again.

That type of transfer fee should be 10-15 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom