• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    All cases!

Sign on entry to each of the two doors regarding firearms in cases.

Actually they are very anal about firearm in cases, which in my opinion is more secure.

BUT their range & rules.

So take firearm out of case at vehicle and walk in with firearm in your hand?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    So take firearm out of case at vehicle and walk in with firearm in your hand?
    Yes, with the action open......as was said above, breakdown cases aren't an issue.....a semi with a closed action in a case is the problem child. But, what's good for the goose.........Like was also said, lots of newbies.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    They got tired of the tacticool guys showing up wanting to shoot slugs, buckshot, etc. Some of the guns didn’t even have full stocks, just pistol grips. The rule at my club is 21”.

It’s just the wrong gun for the task at hand. It’s like taking a desert eagle to an IPSC/USPSA/IDPA match.

I thanks for the info that makes sense.I disagree with you that you can't shoot trap with 18.5 870. My department has a trap range and that the gun we shoot using Federal gold metal class bird shot

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I thanks for the info that makes sense.I disagree with you that you can't shoot trap with 18.5 870. My department has a trap range and that the gun we shoot using Federal gold metal class bird shot

I didn’t say it couldn’t be done. I said it’s not the best gun for the job. In any case, it’s their range it’s their rules. I’ve seen a guy shoot trap with a 410. I shoot it with my Skeet gun. I’ve also seen a guy shoot Skeet with a T/C Contender in .410. That’s a single shot handgun by the way. He was pretty good at singles with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One of the clubs @ AGC has an annual Riot Gun Trap Day . And FWIW , in my youth was one of the periodic swings of bird gun fashion , and short , very open doubles were having a minor resurgence . Ie SxS cut down to 18-20in , with the resultant cylinder chokes , and they occasionally showed up on the Skeet fields .

But in general , many of the clay venues have their policies to ensure their clientele are followers of clay sports per se, and not the * wrong elements * . The shotgun equivalent of no drawing from holsters, and speed limits of only one shot per X seconds .

But there is indeed a vacuum for venues for patterning, load testing, basic familiarization, informal plinking, or defensive practice .

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    PG Trap and Skeet is a very nice facility, and we're lucky to have it so close to DC. Others have covered the details pretty well, so I'll just add that they do a good job of expanding their operation on the weekends to cover the higher volume of shooters.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    PG Trap and Skeet is a very nice facility, and we're lucky to have it so close to DC. Others have covered the details pretty well, so I'll just add that they do a good job of expanding their operation on the weekends to cover the higher volume of shooters.

I agree with you, but would add "they do a great job" :)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Been meaning to add these from PG:

c6oeq9k.jpg
    [/IMG]

g27LI3A.jpg
    [/IMG]

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Their policy reflects what a majorty of clay shooters do anyway. Park car/truck, get out, pull their gun/gear bag out, open action and walk into the club house.

It's not like it's mandatory to walk in there with your gun, for me it's dependant on how the sporting clay course layout to where the parking lot is.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Are you required to uncase prior to entering the building or the premises?

Everyone uncases at their vehicle.
    I shot at a little corporate event at Pintail and a guy showed up with a cased gun. He pulled his 870 with a slug barrel out of the case and the guy there asked him to open the action. Yup, out popped a live round. His excuse was that he stored his gun under his bed.

Demanding uncased guns with open actions is really the only safe way to run the place.

I've invited people to shoot who own guns but don't normally shoot and its not unusual to have an educated grown man not know how to load his own gun. A retired police officer friend of mine had a NG at the line one time. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Everyone uncases at their vehicle.

I shot at a little corporate event at Pintail and a guy showed up with a cased gun. He pulled his 870 with a slug barrel out of the case and the guy there asked him to open the action. Yup, out popped a live round. His excuse was that he stored his gun under his bed.

Demanding uncased guns with open actions is really the only safe way to run the place.

I've invited people to shoot who own guns but don't normally shoot and its not unusual to have an educated grown man not know how to load his own gun. A retired police officer friend of mine had a NG at the line one time. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

I was in the middle of a round of Skeet and this guy who I’d never seen before shows up at the fence holding an auto by the barrel. Action closed and barrel pointed up. I walk over and ask him if I could see the gun. He hands me the gun thinking I’m going to admire it. I proceed to empty the gun of five live shells onto the ground. He’s looking at me like I’m crazy for emptying the shells onto the ground. I hand him the gun back and tell him he needs to go back into the clubhouse and speak to someone about the gun safety rules. I was calm and polite mostly because the barrel wasn’t being pointed at me. I went back to finishing my round of Skeet. I ran a 25 straight. My buddy couldn’t believe I was able to keep my focus after the incident. He also asked how did I know it was loaded? I told him I didn’t know for sure but I was confident enough that I would have bet a $50 that it was. I also said that I thought it was safer for me to unload it than to have him do it.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    I was in the middle of a round of Skeet and this guy who I’d never seen before shows up at the fence holding an auto by the barrel. Action closed and barrel pointed up. I walk over and ask him if I could see the gun. He hands me the gun thinking I’m going to admire it. I proceed to empty the gun of five live shells onto the ground. He’s looking at me like I’m crazy for emptying the shells onto the ground. I hand him the gun back and tell him he needs to go back into the clubhouse and speak to someone about the gun safety rules. I was calm and polite mostly because the barrel wasn’t being pointed at me. I went back to finishing my round of Skeet. I ran a 25 straight. My buddy couldn’t believe I was able to keep my focus after the incident. He also asked how did I know it was loaded? I told him I didn’t know for sure but I was confident enough that I would have bet a $50 that it was. I also said that I thought it was safer for me to unload it than to have him do it.

Damn, that's nuts. Sometimes being pissed off like that helps you focus.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Damn, that's nuts. Sometimes being pissed off like that helps you focus.

I’ve been pissed off and used it to run a hundred straight in competition. Two guys on the squad were arguing about how the targets were set. I was the only one straight. Afterwards one of the guys came up to me and asked how I was able to keep focus. I told him to his face that I kept repeating to myself “Don’t let the f&$ckers win.” He knew exactly who I was referring to. I was pissed off at them more than the guy with the loaded gun. They knew better and he didn’t. I think if the guy had pointed the gun at us I would’ve been a lot more upset.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    I've used the pissed-off method to ski moguls aggressively. Works great, but only if you drop regular f-bombs on the way down while banging off the bumps.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    I’ve been pissed off and used it to run a hundred straight in competition. Two guys on the squad were arguing about how the targets were set. I was the only one straight. Afterwards one of the guys came up to me and asked how I was able to keep focus. I told him to his face that I kept repeating to myself “Don’t let the f&$ckers win.” He knew exactly who I was referring to. I was pissed off at them more than the guy with the loaded gun. They knew better and he didn’t. I think if the guy had pointed the gun at us I would’ve been a lot more upset.

What day? What field? Wondering if I was working and missed that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom