• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I set up a watch list on Gunbroker looking 3 Colt Troopers. I just thought I would watch and note what they sold for. All three received no-bids. Three nice looking Colt troopers not selling, that's odd. So I looked up the price (Colt Trooper Mk III). The "Blue Pocket Book Guide for Colt Firearms" states these are worth $550. These had a minimum bid of $799 or more. Guess that's why they are not selling. Now I know that these blue books can under value certain firearms but that's a big difference. OBTW - one of these sellers is in Maryland.

So is $800 a fair market price for a Colt Trooper Mk III?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I set up a watch list on Gunbroker looking 3 Colt Troopers. I just thought I would watch and note what they sold for. All three received no-bids. Three nice looking Colt troopers not selling, that's odd. So I looked up the price (Colt Trooper Mk III). The "Blue Pocket Book Guide for Colt Firearms" states these are worth $550. These had a minimum bid of $799 or more. Guess that's why they are not selling. Now I know that these blue books can under value certain firearms but that's a big difference. OBTW - one of these sellers is in Maryland.

So is $800 a fair market price for a Colt Trooper Mk III?

I would think if it was a fair price those 3 would have sold. The market determines a fair price.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The seller doesn't really want to sell them. If he did, he'd put a minimum bid of say $400 on them and let the bidding do the rest.

Fair market price is what somebody will pay for it right now. Next month might be different. If two Saudi Princes decided that Colts are the next cool thing, they'd be a million apiece.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Blue Book has a long lead time, and doesn't account for regional variations, take the values with major dose of salts .

With Snake Gun prices going major stupid, collector intrest is spilling over to all Colt DA Revolvers. That said , unless those are rare variations, $799 is on the high side, and $650-ish would be better starting point.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Value guides are basically a snapshot in time when they're assembled and published regarding actual market values. They're little more than a guide but often are not related to the real world due to market fluctuations and fad buying.

Colt Trooper Mark III revolvers, as fine a revolver as they are...are as subject to market fluctuations as any other. A lot depends on finish and barrel length...blue, nickel, electroless nickel. Then there's condition, condition, condition. Whether the piece has the original box and paperwork also figures in.

I'm not one for paying more for a box and paperwork, but it plays a real part in values...at least to some...like sellers.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've picked up a couple of Troopers. Both had holster wear, but are great shooters, but not collector grade. I paid $700 for the Mark III, and $550 for the 1965 version. There's a guy on VA Guntrader selling a III for $650, including a holster. Prices that sellers want are all over the map. They want collector grade money for imperfect guns with none of the stuff that matters to collectors.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ True. Gunbroker and other sellers see a model XXX firearm priced and being bid at $xxxx. They have one and think the sample they possess is the same value not knowing the actual factors considered in cost. And some seller's set their prices high, let a auction relist until they lower the price to dump it or a buyer pops up to buy at their price. Many times it is a waiting game.

Go on ebay, even GB and look at all the retro and copied parts sold as originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom