• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    So I'm visiting a certain FFL today when I spot a pre-ban Norinco Type 56 on the rack in good condition.

It's an AKM-style Chinese rifle in 7.62 AK with the typical slanted flash suppressor, hooded sights, and laminated wood stock. The receiver (stamped) appears to be original, judging from the markings, rather than US-made. Fit and finish is nice, especially compared to Century sad sacks like the WASR.

I've checked Gunbroker and the prices are higher than the sticker price on this gun. However, Gunbroker's prices rarely reflect the reality in shops and there aren't many Norinco AKs for sale.

Has anybody come across any similar Norinco Type 56's in their travels or have one resting in the gun safe (or lost during a boat trip)? I've heard mostly good things about these rifles, but always appreciate other viewpoints.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If it's a laminated stock, it's been replaced. That would be a deal killer right off the bat. Having said that, Chicom AK's are second to none.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I have me a somewhat uncommon pre-ban Norinco with the folding spike bayonet. I got it for $1200 including shipping. However since having it I have had to troubleshoot it like crazy and has been an interesting process. I had to replace the recoil spring, extractor, extractor spring, and have ordered a new hammer since the one it had was well used and worn, so worn that it would sometimes hold the bolt carrier back after firing a round failing to move forward and load the next one. It is slowly becoming more reliable like an AK should be.

So with that being said be wary of the condition of these things and be sure to inspect it over. These rifles have been around now for almost 30 years with no new ones since. You don't even know how many owners or rounds that have been fired through your rifle. Mine probably had several owners and has been abused since the extractor and other spring were well-worn. So keep that in mind when purchasing one and be sure to inspect it thoroughly.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have me a somewhat uncommon pre-ban Norinco with the folding spike bayonet. I got it for $1200 including shipping. However since having it I have had to troubleshoot it like crazy and has been an interesting process. I had to replace the recoil spring, extractor, extractor spring, and have ordered a new hammer since the one it had was well used and worn, so worn that it would sometimes hold the bolt carrier back after firing a round failing to move forward and load the next one. It is slowly becoming more reliable like an AK should be.

So with that being said be wary of the condition of these things and be sure to inspect it over. These rifles have been around now for almost 30 years with no new ones since. You don't even know how many owners or rounds that have been fired through your rifle. Mine probably had several owners and has been abused since the extractor and other spring were well-worn. So keep that in mind when purchasing one and be sure to inspect it thoroughly.

Good point, and take the gas tube off to, I have seen far to many Norincos that people shot corrosive amout of and treated like "AKs" with no cleaning of the gas system. This is the area that is most likely to corrode up. A little corrosion isnt a major issue but I have seen bad bad situations.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Also something to add that although these rifles as well as other pre-ban AK's are great rifles and well-made, unless you are a diehard AK fan who just has to have an original all parts matching Commie built gun, these rifles are really no different than the ones currently being imported. They perform pretty much the same and offer no real benefits over the current batch of AK's being built (the ones that are built right with factory barrels). So my extra advice would be these are for collecting (and shooting) but mostly collecting at this point. In fact my pre-ban is my most valuable firearm I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom