• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Pres Candidate Huckabee quote on Gun Control

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Mike_Huckabee_Gun_Control.htm

There are 700,000 physicians in the US and the number of accidental deaths caused by them per year is 120,000, making the accidental death rate per physician 17%. Using the same logic, there are about 80 million gun owners, and the number of accidental gun deaths per year among all age groups is 1,500. The same calculation reveals the number of accidental deaths per gun owner to be 0.00188%. In other words, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 more times more dangerous than gun owners. Yet, I hear no one suggesting we ban doctors.
    Source: From Hope to Higher Ground, by Mike Huckabee, p.126-127 Jan 4, 2007

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    He's at least saying the right things.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I kinda like the guy but I am very concerned about his being a minister and a theology major, I just can't see him standing for the separation of church and state.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I kinda like the guy but I am very concerned about his being a minister and a theology major, I just can't see him standing for the separation of church and state.

Even if he personally would blur the line, which I doubt, it really is a non-issue.

When we had the discussion on Constitutionalist Party candidates everyone would say, "I love their platform....except for that whole religion thing".

He'd be one man, with the entire weight of the Congress and Senate to counterbalance any off the wall initiatives. Then there's the SCOTUS beyond that.

I'll take a genuine man of faith, guided by a fundamental sense of right and wrong over what we have now which is a man so obsessed with garnering the votes of the religious right that he puts on airs of being devout when all he is really doing is hiding his globalist leanings.

I'm still a Ron Paul fan....but Huckabee is quickly becoming a practical alternative to absolute principle.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007

Separation of church and state? Where is that exactly in the Constitution, etc.? Just curious.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Separation of church and state? Where is that exactly in the Constitution, etc.? Just curious.

I am not an atheist, please don't misunderstand what I may have written improperly. I am a firm believer that the federal government and religion are a bad mix, this is proven time and time again in our world(see middle eastern countries). That was one of my concerns with Huckabee, the other is his record in his home state in regards to taxes and some other issues.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    If you look at this much the way Norton expressed, it's again not a issue, but actually better for the US.

Every President expresses his or her faith either before or atleast during their time in office. Policies and laws would not be effected by those beliefs due to the checks and balances in place between the 3 branches. However, those beliefs could be a stepping stone for bringing moral values BACK to the U.S. and maybe stop or atleast slow down this downward spiral we are in. The fact that he has been in office as long as he has speaks to the fact that he is able to keep his faith and his job somewhat separate. Do you think people would have kept voting for him if he were forcing his faith down their throats at every turn?

As far as Taxes, etc. .. we all know that politicians lie, it's part of the job description. We are at war, we have a Trilion $ deficate, and the $$ sucks around the world. Anyone who says they can't/won't raise taxes is lying. If Congress proposes it, the President Vetos and Congress over-rides, it's LAW anyway. You can't pay off your debts if your outcome is more than you income, that's just basic economics. Just like home budgeting, sometimes no matter how much cutting you do, sometime it takes a 2nd job to make the ends meet.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Even if he personally would blur the line, which I doubt, it really is a non-issue.

When we had the discussion on Constitutionalist Party candidates everyone would say, "I love their platform....except for that whole religion thing".

He'd be one man, with the entire weight of the Congress and Senate to counterbalance any off the wall initiatives. Then there's the SCOTUS beyond that.

I'll take a genuine man of faith, guided by a fundamental sense of right and wrong over what we have now which is a man so obsessed with garnering the votes of the religious right that he puts on airs of being devout when all he is really doing is hiding his globalist leanings.

I'm still a Ron Paul fan....but Huckabee is quickly becoming a practical alternative to absolute principle.

+1, I liked Huckabee during the CNN/YouTube debate. If Ron Paul doesn't pull through I'm seriously considering Huckabee as a choice. I just can't get behind Guiliani, Romney, or McCain.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Very first Amendment, as it turns out...

"Separation of church and state is a political and legal idea usually identified with the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which states that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof… The phrase building a wall of separation between church and state was written by Thomas Jefferson in a January 1, 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptist Association."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom