• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    For preparedness situations ranging from hurricanes to civil insurrection, you will still need the same things you needed the day before the event. The difference is that if you do not have enough of those things on hand, it will be hard to acquire them once other people decide it is an emergency.
    Last week, I was spending some time with a close friend who has been in the firearms industry for 16 years. He was telling me that he has never seen the market like it is now. People who never thought of owning a gun, along with the regulars, have caused massive back orders. We talked about how we hope these people are also preparing in other ways.

Though I agree that everyone should be armed to protect themselves, I would first urge them to take care of regular daily needs first.

Water- Storing water is good. Having an infinite source and a way to treat it is better. More than anything else, the need for water is what has forced people to move since time began. In a perfect world, you would be within walking distance from a creek, river, pond, or lake. If you are lucky enough to have this, take a sample of the water and have it tested. Anyone who has spent any time in the woods will tell you that there is no such thing as clean water. If it does not come from your tap or a store bought bottle, it needs to be purified. If you do not have an alternate water source, once your stored water is gone, you will have to move and moving exposes you. Last I checked, the cheapest bottled water at Wal-Mart was $.88 per gallon. When the shelves are bare, it will be worth 5-10 times that evening in the beginning of an event.

Food- our sugar addicted culture gets cranky if it does not get food every 3-4 hrs. If this describes you, now is the best time to break your addiction to sugar laced items like breakfast cereals and soda. Even during a short term event, you will likely have to go much longer without food under more stress than you are used to. Try to lessen the blow. Common wisdom is to store what you eat, not the stuff that you donate during the can food drive because nobody in your house eats it. Adults are not much different than 5 year olds in that we like to eat certain things all the time. This not only allows us to narrow down what we need to store, but familiar food provides comfort during uncertain times. There are entire websites dedicated to food storage, but the problem is that if your location is not safe or you need to move for water, you can only take so much with you. So before stockpiling 10 lb cans, consider stocking things like tuna, peanut butter, Ramen/ noodles etc that are like packable, require minimum preparation, and provide energy. These things will allow you to shelter in place as well as being able to take a large quantity of them with you if you are forced to move. Learn how to cook over an open fire and with propane stoves. Using tin foil, you can cook just about anything in the coals of a campfire.

Shelter- this can also provide familiarity. You will probably not be alone and depending on the severity of the situation, people around you may be in shock and denial. Being in familiar surroundings can go a long way in people feeling as safe as possible. Before planning to bug out, first learn everything you can about the area in which you live. Things like the aforementioned watering holes, neighbors you can depend on, and nearby structures are more stable or easier to defend than your home. A few large tarps along with rope can temporarily repair storm damage or seal drafts during cold weather. Now is the time to learn basic knots. Not when you need to tie them in the dark. Clothing is your first line shelter. Learn now about how to control your core temperature in hot and cold weather. Everyone in the family needs base layers, insulation layers, and a shell to complete a system that can be adapted to deal with rapid temperature changes. Try to remove as much cotton from your wardrobe as possible since it retains moisture which in hot weather can lead to chafing and unpleasantness, and death in cold weather.

Medicines- the ones you take every day. If you have an understanding doctor, you may be able to store some extra. It is also a good idea to ask your doctor what would happen if you did not have those medicines for 72 hours, a week, or more. This will be an issue for many people. Once these are taken care of, consider the ones you take once in a while. Even simple things like antacids, OTC pain relievers, and anti-diarrheal meds. Stress, strange water, and unfamiliar food could make all these things as important as RX meds.

First Aid Kit- regardless of the event, there are only three ways to traumatize the human body: burning, cutting, and crushing. Typically, the worse the injury is, the less first aid there is to do, but the more important it is. Learn CPR and how to deal with burns, cuts, and broken bones.

Sanitation- no matter what else is going on, people will still need to poop. Next to lack of drinking water, the toilet not working is probably the next thing that will cause people to leave their home. Keep some extra toilet paper on hand, but learn to use a sponge. You can never have too much hand sanitizer.

Lights- everyone should have a head lamp, they are a necessity for navigation and working with both of your hands. Once that is achieved, you can worry about other flashlights, candles, and lanterns.

The best way to figure out what works is with trial and error. Make a list of what you “think” you would need to survive a night of camping by yourself or with your family. Then actually go camping and take copious notes and make adjustments accordingly. Then try two days, then three, and so on. You will figure out that keeping anything cold except in the dead of winter is a losing battle so make your food choices with that in mind.

Once you get good at it type up a detailed checklist. Use totes or Rubbermaid Safepackers to keep all your “camping gear” in one place. That way it is all together to shelter in place and ready to load into a vehicle if you are forced to evacuate.

After these things are taken care of, buy more guns and ammo.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    This is all I need..

Aluminium-Foil-Re-Roll-1050-8011.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Did you know that certain antibiotics used in aquarium fish medicine are the same things that we as humans are required to get a prescription for?

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    :thumbsup: 100% agreement. Being able to protect yourself and the things you need to survive is important, but so is having the necessities for survival in the first place. Discussing those necessities and how to prepare is decent around-the-campfire talk with buddies, and as long as you are talking with someone insightful, you can get new ideas or realize where your preparations may be lacking. This is why I love to read Mercop’s postings, good information and thought-provoking. Here are my thoughts and queries:

In response to ‘Water’ - Clean water is vital and is one of the highest priorities. I can set up a shelter most places, and can bring a decent amount of food and gear with me, but water is heavy and gets used up quickly. When I head into the woods hiking spring-summer-fall I use my Katadyn water filter, and in winter I’m boiling water from ice/snow. I have iodine tablets in with my gear, but have never needed to use them. Presently I feel decently safe with my present equipment/processes in wilderness areas; my concern would be chemical contaminants or viral pathogens in more local water sources when our dense east coast population goes off public sanitation. I know not to contaminate my water sources, but don’t trust every last neighbor to be as mindful. Example in this regard is how the introduction of cholera to water supplies in Haiti buggered things up. So, safest to take water from least likely contaminated location(as far upstream of others as possible), then filter/boil I’m guessing. Another thought is that while boiling seems best, doing it constantly will consume fuel. I would imagine just about every household has a jug of bleach around for disinfecting/cleaning and it costs basically nothing; how well would chlorine purify an outside water source in this situation?

In response to ‘Food’ – Ramen noodle bricks and Knorr rice/pasta packages are light, pack small, cook easy, and are filling (hence a favorite for my backpacking). Never took peanut butter or tinned fish backpacking for garbage reasons, but litter will be the least of my worries in a crisis.

In response to ‘Medicine’ – I am in solid health and no regular medicine consumption. I only keep OTC pain relievers and some anti-diarrheal meds in the first aid kit. Am I missing anything?

In response to ‘Sanitation’ – Alright, I’m not eating anything right now, so I’ll ask: Just how does the sponge method work?

The best way to figure out what works is with trial and error. Make a list of what you “think” you would need to survive a night of camping by yourself or with your family. Then actually go camping and take copious notes and make adjustments accordingly. Then try two days, then three, and so on. You will figure out that keeping anything cold except in the dead of winter is a losing battle so make your food choices with that in mind.

Once you get good at it type up a detailed checklist. Use totes or Rubbermaid Safepackers to keep all your “camping gear” in one place. That way it is all together to shelter in place and ready to load into a vehicle if you are forced to evacuate.

Trial and error not only teaches you what you really need, but gets you the experience to use things properly. The center for my gear is my backpack. Aside from items like the sleeping bag that I don’t like to keep compressed, everything is already organized and stored in the pack. Thus, ‘making adjustments’ means if I add something, then something less important comes out. If moving with a vehicle all items of lesser importance can get jumbled into the dufflebags.

Did you know that certain antibiotics used in aquarium fish medicine are the same things that we as humans are required to get a prescription for?

This is true, they are cheaper and work quite well. :innocent0

Examples please.

Examples, as well as details on shelf life/storage, proper usage, and sources of acquisition, would be most welcome.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Here's the meds. I am not a doctor nor do I propose to know anything. If you cross reference the FDA regulations and a recent PDR, you will find this information yourself. This came from a source that is deemed to be credible. This is the real deal. Like I said...the information is out there.

* FISH-MOX (amoxicillin 250mg)
    * FISH_MOX FORTE (amoxicillin 500mg)
    * FISH-CILLIN (ampicillin 250mg)
    * FISH-FLEX Keflex 250mg)
    * FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg)
    * FISH-ZOLE (metronidazole 250mg)
    * FISH-PEN (penicillin 250mg)
    * FISH-PEN FORTE (penicillin 500mg)
    * FISH-CYCLINE (tetracycline 250mg)
    And the tetracycline becoming toxic after its expiration date may be incorrect....that info is also "Out there to be found".....

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Examples please.

- Porkchop

On Ebay there is a seller called Aquatic Pharmacy. They sell standard antibiotics just like you'd get with a script. There was a thread about this a few weeks ago. Most of the antibiotics are pretty stable, except doxicycline.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    In regards to cooking in an open fire, you can wrap things like a gutted trout in natural clay found in creeks here, and then inbed the clay wrapped fish in the coals. It's like a little baking oven. The clay requires higher temp to actually fire harden ( kilns heat to 1500+ for several hours), so you just knock the clay open and pull the fish out.

Water purification- Indians used an animal stomach to put water into, but if you have an iron kettle, you can revese boil if you will. Place round river stones into the firepit and remove the hot stones and place into the water. Be sure to dry store such stones before placing into a bed of coals.

Bow drill- learn to make one and carry a fire kit for it. Learn everything you need to know about fire making and fire keeping.

Learn how to hunt and trap animals by primitive means. Keep dried beaver castors handy- you can grind them into a powder ( morter and pestle style) and need only wet a small amount and it lures in a number of different animals.

Learn where to find spring seeps. Pretty easy around here in the piedmont- look for where the land dips down into a "stream depression" and keep walking down into it. Skunk cabbage is a sure indicator. Do not eat skunk cabbage. Using seeps for water keeps you away from bigger waters where hostiles may be gathered. Look for vigorous clear flowing seeps.

Remedy for poison ivy- jewelweed- it grows next to water, has orange or yellow flowers in late summer. Juicy stalks. Crush it up and apply to poison ivy rash. Use juice immediatley after exposure to minimize break out.

Insect repellant- heard this one years ago, not sure if I have it right. Horsetail plant, grows near water, primitive segmented small plant. Steep it like tea, and apply the tea juice to the body.

Cattail root- starchy edible, I think you have to boil it and blanch it first. Cattail heads can be used as TP, the fluff can be broken up to use to line cloth/hide for diapers for babies.

If eating wild game and all you can get is a predatory animal such as a coyote- do not eat the liver. Carnivorous animals have too many toxins in the livers. Avoid the kidneys too.

LOL, same deal if having to be cannabalistic- also don't eat animal brains, esp human. Eating human brain may turn you into a zombie- for real.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Sanitation- no matter what else is going on, people will still need to poop. Next to lack of drinking water, the toilet not working is probably the next thing that will cause people to leave their home. Keep some extra toilet paper on hand, but learn to use a sponge. You can never have too much hand sanitizer.

Good point. And don't forget the feminine hygiene as well. Our dear ladies are still going to get a visit from their "friend" every month, and it will pay to have a few boxes of mouse matresses on hand. Sorry - somebody had to say it.

Careful with the fishtank antibiotics. They are "Pharmacy Grade" in some cases, but do not necessarily meet United States Pharmacopeia (USP) specifications, and may not be manufactured according to cGMP standards (i.e., at a facility that is regularly inspected to ensure quality).

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Under the lights section can any one recommend a good headlamp?

Great thread mercop.

Gibby,
    Look to pay $50 or more for a good one. Cree LEDs are best, 3 or 5 watts ideal, multiple LEDs that you can dim are great. Red LEDs save your night vision, green uses less power and blue is also great for signaling. IR if you use night vision or cameras.

- PRINCETON TEC REMIX HEADLAMP
    - Petzl E99 PG Tikka XP 2 Headlamp, Graphite
    - Everlite EL8 Solar Headlamp
    - fenix and olight are also good brands

Batteries: I like lithium cr123's or AA best, either way go with recharables. I recommend you have at least 3 sets of battery for each light you own. Lithium lasts much longer, is lighter, and performs better in the cold. Buy a good lithium recharger. batteryjunction.com

Also consider a simple headstrap that will let you use ordinary hand held flashlights. A simple rubberband holding a good flashlight to a helmet will work in a pinch; but I really like being able to angle the headlamp and be hands free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom