• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Anyone load for precision 223 ?

A friend is trying to test some theories and advice he's taken from SOTAR youtubes and other channels on making ARs accurate. Many people claim sub-MOA from ARs, but others claim 2 MOA is the norm. He's picked up several brands of factory match 223 ammo.

So I'm helping by trying to load precision 223 to the best of my current abilities and tools, to test again factory match.

What I have:
    Rem 7-1/2 benchrest primers
    Hornady 75gr match
    Hornady 50,53,55,60gr V-max
    Hornady once-fired brass
    Norma once-fired brass
    Benchmark Powder

I wet tumbled and swaged all the brass, then sorted by length. (Not very good at trimming brass atm). Projectiles are sorted by weight.

I'm trickling powder to the half-tenth of grain, and using same length brass for each projectile weigh.

Anything else I should consider, without buying tools, or is the task doomed without investment ?

We'll be testing about 6 different rifles, 2 different shooters, 10 different loads.

Instead of spending time measuring and sorting brass by length, I find it more convenient to sort by headstamp and just trim everything to the same length before the first use (or first re-use for "range brass" that didn't come from my gun). I use a Lee quick trim die and deluxe power quick trim cutter with an electric drill to get everything starting out the same length. This setup doesn't require any real skill to get consistent results.

So far my experience has been that brass that starts out the same length ends up about the same length after firing, so I shouldn't need to trim again for a while.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Instead of spending time measuring and sorting brass by length, I find it more convenient to sort by headstamp and just trim everything to the same length before the first use (or first re-use for "range brass" that didn't come from my gun). I use a Lee quick trim die and deluxe power quick trim cutter with an electric drill to get everything starting out the same length. This setup doesn't require any real skill to get consistent results.

So far my experience has been that brass that starts out the same length ends up about the same length after firing, so I shouldn't need to trim again for a while.

Thanks.. Yes that would normally be the case, but I (incorrectly in fact) thought I didn't have a 223 brass trimmer, which led to my OP statement:
    "to the best of my current abilities and tools"

I later was looking for something else, and found a Worlds Finest Trimmer for 223 that I forgot I ordered.. :innocent0

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    SAAMI min for 223 is 1.730”. Point being, you can go shorter than the often published 1.750” trim length if trying to uniformly trim to a length. I settled on 1.745”

I’ve tested how much brass grows in length out of an AR. Some of my ARs, the brass settled in on a length after a single firing and then didn’t change at all. I reloaded some cases 12 times. Depends on your gun. Mid and rifle length gas systems don’t seem to stretch brass was my conclusion.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I got a Lwrc varmint wylde that subs frontier 75 grains sub MOA all day. For factory ammo it’s very very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom