• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Taken many of his classes over the years and plan on going again this year. DEF I & II is the stepping stone to his advance handgun classes.
    Great training staff and range.

Note: slots fill up VERY fast

Winebike

May 11, 2009
    I've taken most of his handgun classes and the Tactical Rifle class. Pat and his staff are topnotch. They provide real world training that will push your limits. I love Pat's range which is on a mountain side along the Greenbriar River. It's beautiful country and makes the experience even more enjoyable. The range is well-equipped to simulate all types of scenarios from indoors, to cars, to moving targets and obstacles. Pat has a wealth of firearms and operations experience and knowledge. He consults around the world, but despite that he is very modest. He respects his students no matter their skill level, so inexperienced shooters feel comfortable in his classes.

In his more advanced classes, you might find yourself training with a SWAT team, LEOs, or government and contractor security personnel. His advanced classes are pretty physically demanding, so get in shape before you go to enjoy them more. I can't recommend Pat highly enough!

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    Im African American and Im pretty much the only black guy in most of these advanced classes. My question to you guys is before I go in the woods in WV were there any undertones of racism while taking this course?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Im African American and Im pretty much the only black guy in most of these advanced classes. My question to you guys is before I go in the woods in WV were there any undertones of racism while taking this course?

Why would you think that?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I hear African Americans aren't wanted out them parts. I never been out WV other then driving through. Articles like this don't help http://www.wvgazettemail.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140630/GZ01/140639991/ That's why I'm asking some of you guys?

It sounds to me like you're the one who is filtering his perception of the world through a racist lens.

I was subjected to far more racial prejudice as a white teacher in PG County than I've ever seen as the inverse anywhere else.

In direct answer to your question, no. But I tell you what, you may just want to stick closer to home since you seem to have concerns.

six6nine9wpk

Jan 27, 2015
    It sounds to me like you're the one who is filtering his perception of the world through a racist lens.

I was subjected to far more racial prejudice as a white teacher in PG County than I've ever seen as the inverse anywhere else.

In direct answer to your question, no. But I tell you what, you may just want to stick closer to home since you seem to have concerns.

You are turning a simple question into something else. A forum is a place to ask questions. Questions like this get asked all the time on city data. If you asked me how would a white teacher do in pg county, I wouldn't get offended. I would simply answer the question through my experience growing up in the DC/pg county area. Thanks for the direct answer though. I rather get it a answer from people who have experience in the state then listen to folk tales and media propaganda.

Thank you

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Norton doesn't see race as a factor pretty much ever. For the most part the old white gun owners and their prejudices are mostly a thing of the past. I've noticed and given longer looks to customers that are other than white, and seen them directed as myself.(but that comes from for me growing up in a Crip neighborhood) But work with firearms long enough and you learn to read people beyond color quickly.
    For the most part with professional instructors money is green and so long as you pass a cursory background check you're good to go.

Sincerely,
    The American with Mexican blood who looks like a terrorist.

j4ck

Locked and cocked
    Aug 28, 2011
    I just spent a weekend doing the Defensive Handgun I and Defensive Handgun II near Alderson, WV. Thanks for the the opinions. I highly recommend PFT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom