• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David1959

Jul 18, 2015
    Hello All,

I'm relatively new to both the forums and hand guns, so I started exploring NRA based training opportunities in the greater Frederick area. Just finished the Basic Pistol course in Thurmont with SFS Fire Arms Training. My question is concerning the general training progression for the NRA Personal Protection in the Home and Outside the Home class. Why do they recommend PPITH before PPOTH? Wouldn't it be better to take a wear & carry class and get both PPOTH and the permit requirements at once? I mean at first, I can do the other classes later.

I'm an average citizen and don't expect to receive a carry permit, just want to get the training in case things change 2 years down the road.

BTW Heritage Training in Frederick, MD now has walk in Livescan for $30.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am not an instructor, but..... I don't think a wear and carry class as minimum requirements has both NRA classes. I think some instructors teach a 2 day hybrid class combining the PPOTH and the the wear and carry.

It may be that the PPITH (on the NRA side) "gives" a student the "skill" to do PPOTH. Instructors might be doing their own "check off" on students for their hybrid class.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Maybe PPOTH necessitates some prerequisites learned in PPITH. The "in the home" course goes over concealment and cover, front sight aiming, timed firing, weak hand firing. Goes over laws of self defense too.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    PPITH introduces defensive firearm use/implications, concealment vs cover, and consideration, and then PPOTH introduces holsters, cover garments for concealed carry, etc.

from a NRA course perspective, PPITH builds upon the basic classes, and then PPOTH builds on PPITH.

Last edited:

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    sorry had it slightly wrong above,

meant cover garment/holster concealment discussions.

Cover and Concealment are discussed in PPITH

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    You learn the basics of firing from cover and concealment in PPITH. This is expanded upon in PPOTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom