• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    As the subject implies, I have these two and are trying to load some 9mm rounds. The Lyman book for PP shows the starting measure at 5.9gr with a max of 6.5gr so the spread isn't too big.

I'm really struggling with getting a fairly consistent throw on the PPM (+/- 0.1) like I did with the Winchester 748 for my .223 rounds. I get variations of over + 0.4 from some throws. That's getting me too close to the max load to be comfortable.

I have noticed that tapping on the case of the PPM causes a heavier load by almost 1gr.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten this up?

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    According to the Lee website, you must condition it by running a pound or two of powder through it to coat the internals with graphite.

Copied from the instructions:

"IMPORTANT! YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE USE
    If using the measure for the first time, you must process at least
    one hopper full of powder through the measure to coat the nylon
    parts with graphite from the powder. This conditioning is important
    so static electricity will be bled o. Otherwise, you’ll find the
    measure continues to dispense charges progressively heavier.
    This need only be done once."

A casual search shows people having issues with flake powders (such as PP or Unique) in this powder measure.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I have never used power pistol but I have/do use the lee powder measure. Some powders it does wonderful (unique is one that does fine for me) some powders just won't meter very consistent. Mine does seem to do very well with most powders. Long rod powders seem to be the worst for me, 4350 is one example.

The other problem I have is fine ball powders leak around the handle. H110 and BLC2 come to mind.

Like said already the measure does work better with the more you use it. I also have better results when adjusting by reducing the volume rather than increasing. I set it for more than I need and then fine tune it by reducing the volume. I also drop 2 or 3 charges before checking the weight it drops anytime I move the setting.

Not to say this is the case but do you trust your scale? I only ask because with a few exceptions mine works fairly well once I learned what it liked.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    RE scale:
    I've only been reloading since spring but one thing I do with my scale is I make a lead calibration weight at or around my charge weight. I use that to check consistency. My Frankfort arsenal scale is pretty darn consistant although I tare it every 10 rounds. The Lyman one my friend gave me is all over the place and I'll likely never use. If I only had that Lyman scale and did not check it, I'd have struggled with the Lyman powder measure. I found out that's one of the reasons my friend stopped reloading and gave me his stuff.

good luck

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    When I throw powder I tap the powder measure three times to fill it and to dump it so its clear, and I do it the same way each time. I get very consistent dumps. I started out weighing each time till I noticed that I was getting consistent weight now I weigh about every 7-8 dumps.YMMV

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    With any measure wiping it down with dryer sheets and running powder through it will keep static down, and help smooth it out for more consistent throws, a baffle plate can help too, the Lee can be adjusted tighter or looser with the screw. The Lee measure doesn't weigh flake powders anywhere near as consistent as other drum measures, although checking it for plastic flashing inside can help if it's really bad. For the most part their autodisk does OK with flake powders though.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I did follow Lee's guidelines and ran a hopper or two through it before loading. A lot of .223 went very well before I tried the Power Pistol on the 9mm.

I bought a few tubes of graphite powder from Home Depot and just coated the heck out of it and it seemed to really make a difference. I used a Frankford Arsenal digital scale with the Lee analog scale to confirm I was getting no more than +0.1 gr on throw. I would confirm each load by weighing the primed case, tare, throw powder, and weigh. Not the fastest but gave me the peace of mind needed to complete the load process.

BTW, was at the range today and tested my first batch of .223 and 9mm. Worked like a charm!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I use a hand-me-down Lee Perfect Powder measure that a guy had broken and was going to throw away (it broke where it attches to the base). So I made a wood base and rigged it up with zip ties.

Anyways... I get extrmely consistent charges with mine. I tap the handle at the up stroke and tap it at the down stroke, a pretty good tap (enough to shake the whole measure just a little). If I don't do this, I get much more variation...

I'm pretty anal about weighing stuff and getting it exact, so don't feel bad. It's much better to be overly careful vs weighing a couple charges and going with it... I usually weigh the first several I throw (and that's after throwing a bunch of test charges and dumping them back in) then once I'm going I weigh at least every 10th charge, sometimes more often.

Have fun, be safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom