• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search. This question feels like it BGOS... and yet being in MD I seem to need to ask.

Can I sell in MD powder to a friend, Face-to-Face? If so, and I expect it to be so, any limitations?

Thanks in advance for the help,

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The only real limitation I can think of is the arbitrary limit imposed by the fire marshal on how much smokeless powder you can store in your house.
    8 pounds maybe???

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Fire marshal says 5 pounds per person unless you have a storage permit.
    FIFY.

I always thought it was funny how the law actually reads, because one would think it would be limited to 5 pounds per residence, but that's not what it says.

(d) Same - Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.
    I would guess that the spirit of the law intends for it to be 5 pounds of power per residence, but with the way it reads, in my house, because I have 4 adults living there, combined, we're legally allowed to have 20 lbs, based on how the law reads. (Actually, we could have 40 lbs - 20 lbs of smokeless, 20 lbs of black.)

But aside from that, the ONLY time this even applies is if you have a fire and the powder causes damage beyond what the normal fire would have because of the powder. Otherwise, how would anyone know what you've got in your home?

Yet one more useless law that is impossible to enforce.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I'm thinking applying for a storage permit will just waive a flag . Five lbs. is not a lot in my case per person would be a total of 10 lbs . Everything i own is 1 lb jars and with a variety of calibers im pushing 10 lbs

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    FIFY.

I always thought it was funny how the law actually reads, because one would think it would be limited to 5 pounds per residence, but that's not what it says.

I would guess that the spirit of the law intends for it to be 5 pounds of power per residence, but with the way it reads, in my house, because I have 4 adults living there, combined, we're legally allowed to have 20 lbs, based on how the law reads. (Actually, we could have 40 lbs - 20 lbs of smokeless, 20 lbs of black.)

But aside from that, the ONLY time this even applies is if you have a fire and the powder causes damage beyond what the normal fire would have because of the powder. Otherwise, how would anyone know what you've got in your home?

Yet one more useless law that is impossible to enforce.

I wouldn’t say ENTIRELY useless. Live in a multi family dwelling or apartment and you are storing a crap ton of powder and it aids in burning down your neighbors townhouses/duplex/apartments it sure as heck is a liability against you for violating fire code.

IMHO it’s like safe storage of firearms around kids. I have no problem with there being a law saying you need to. You stupid enough to allow access to a kid who shouldn’t be trusted who hurts themselves or others, yeah I’ve got no problem with the gun owner being held civilly or criminally liable for that.

Just my 2 cents.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Hum... ' had', past tense. Did he shoot it all up or something else happen?

I haven't talked to him in a while, but would assume he shot a good bit of it up, but would still have some. Haven't talked to him in a while though.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    the reg really isn't designed to limit how much powder a person holds, but rather define the point at which an approved storage magazine is required. It is in the fire code for residential structures, not in the criminal section like other regulations related to firearms. Also, there is a lower limit for multi family residences, defined as a building housing more than 2 families. I believe the limit is zero, but its been a while since I read it.

5 pounds sounds like a lot until you realize 5 or 6 pistol calibers plus 2 or 3 rifle, each with potential for a different powder. I have tried hard to standardize to one pistol powder and one rifle powder. Still working through the first pistol powder purchase, which does not work for 9mm.\

I respectfully disagree with the information in post 6 above. I believe the intent of the reg is to establish limits per residence. Take a look at the context. Remember, fire code.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Does that 5lb's include the powder in loaded ammo? Ergo THiers's single serving size???

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Does that 5lb's include the powder in loaded ammo? Ergo THiers's single serving size???

The rule is intended to regulate powder that is mass detonable, IE will all go up at once. Loaded ammo is not considered mass detonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom