• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I use a RCBS uniflow that came with a kit. I can dial it in on very fine powder like H110, but with slightly larger powder like H335, the measure is not accurate enough for my liking.

Any good recommendations on accurate manual dispensers, or a finer powder for .223?

Also, anybody have experience with the electronic dispensers like the RCBS Chargemaster or Hornady/Lyman electronic dispeners?

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I use a RCBS uniflow that came with a kit. I can dial it in on very fine powder like H110, but with slightly larger powder like H335, the measure is not accurate enough for my liking.

Any good recommendations on accurate manual dispensers, or a finer powder for .223?

Also, anybody have experience with the electronic dispensers like the RCBS Chargemaster or Hornady/Lyman electronic dispeners?

I've got a Chargemaster 1500 and absoutely love it, no problems with mine yet.
    Every once in a while it might go over by .1 but it's few and far between. All my rifle loads except for 223/5.56 are measured with the Chargemaster, also when I'm working up loads for anything caliber it gets used, so quick to reprogram for the next load.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Curious how much charge weight variation are you getting with the Uniflow and H335?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have used a UniFlow for many years for every kind of powder out there. The key is in the consistency of how you operate the powder measure. Inconsistency with ball powders is likely an inconsistency in your method, not the measure itself. ;)

Try this... when you raise the handle to drop a charge, do it with authority. The same authority each time. When I lower the handle, I do the same, but twice... tap it good twice at the bottom of the stroke to be sure you are getting a good 'fill'.

This has worked well for me and I load a ton of H335 and many different stick powders that seem to give others issues.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have a lyman, I think 3rd generation-not the current 5th gen. It's pretty good but not perfect. I usually screw the little reducer in the drop tube. It slows it down a little but it tends to stop on the money more often. it does tend to over charge by 1/10 grain sometimes. And I found it faster to dump it back in and start over. I think it's when I have my phone on playing Pandora and/or when the fridge kicks in that it does it more often. When I lived in Hawaii it was the ceiling fan that drove it - me nuts.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have used a UniFlow for many years for every kind of powder out there. The key is in the consistency of how you operate the powder measure. Inconsistency with ball powders is likely an inconsistency in your method, not the measure itself. ;)

Try this... when you raise the handle to drop a charge, do it with authority. The same authority each time. When I lower the handle, I do the same, but twice... tap it good twice at the bottom of the stroke to be sure you are getting a good 'fill'.

This has worked well for me and I load a ton of H335 and many different stick powders that seem to give others issues.

:thumbsup:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've been using a Uni-Flow to meter 335 for 223/556 for many years. Never a problem with metering/weight.

The problem comes from short stroking the handle or stutters or from not allowing enough time for the powder to flow through.

I count "One thousand one-One thousand two." for any and all rifle cases. Cuzz your trying to release 25 to 50 grains of powder. Depending on caliber of course.

Much different than the half a second it takes to throw 7 grains of Unique into a pistol case.

Good luck.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Harrell powder measurers are the king...super accurate but they are expensive. I have a chargemaster as well and it does pretty well, I get some "over throws" with extruded powder but its livable for sure.

http://www.harrellsprec.com/

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Just checked the mail and the cabelas shooting catalog was in it. The RCBS Chargemaster 1500 is $225 after mail in rebate, think I paid $289 shipped for mine a few years ago and that was a good deal then. Plus if you use the code 6DADSDAY you get free shipping thru today on orders over $99. Grab'em while they last.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      83.1 KB · Views: 186

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I'm with Speed3...have a Chargemaster which is awesome but ended up getting a Harrell Schuentzen powder measure for turning out pistol rounds much faster. I've had good metering results with both Varget and BLC-2 for 5.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom