• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    You might be a true SMIB if you cook your crabs in an old stainless steel gunpowder keg that came out of the Naval Ordinance Station in Indian Head, most likely through the back gate. This one has a born on date in 1945 an my second pot has a date in the 1970s. These are perfect for a heavy bushel. Today, I cooked a 1/2 bushel and they sure were good. Many of these kegs were floating around Southern Maryland in the sixties and seventies. Even the chicken neckers used them.
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice! Looks like a sawn off half keg(beer).
    That thing will outlive us all!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Yep, every smib has at least one. Do you have the piece that goes in the bottom to keep the crabs out of the water that’s punched with 1” holes?

The boys up at indianhead made a shyte ton of them lol

Our tax dollars hard at work lol

If I remember right, the price was a bushel of #1’s

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I have seen them in different sizes and some neat as a pin and some shotgunned in there lol.

Yep I am sure it depended on what day it was and who was or wasn’t watching
    I remember it far back as I can remember, lol.

Not sure which one of my brothers or sisters got the pot, but I got the bottom grate.

And the 1941 dated, THICK aluminum pot, bottom is pitted BAD, can't imagine how many bushels have been in it.

20230821_124638.jpg

Wasn't aluminum supposed to give us all Alzheimers?
    I can't remember....

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I remember it far back as I can remember, lol.

Not sure which one of my brothers or sisters got the pot, but I got the bottom grate.

And the 1941 dated, THICK aluminum pot, bottom is pitted BAD, can't imagine how many bushels have been in it.

View attachment 427767

Wasn't aluminum supposed to give us all Alzheimers?
    I can't remember....
    Is your pot aluminum?

Mine have all been stainless powered kegs and stainless grates. I have had several half kegs And one whole keg but it was too big to suite me so I gave it to someone.

And yes they once said aluminum would give us all oldtimers but I would think if that was so I would have it by now lol.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Is your pot aluminum?

Mine have all been stainless powered kegs and stainless grates. I have had several half kegs And one whole keg but it was too big to suite me so I gave it to someone.

And yes they once said aluminum would give us all oldtimers but I would think if that was so I would have it by now lol.

My current pot is aluminum. We had one of the SS kegs many years ago, think one of my siblings have it. I have the SS grate from it, pictured above, and use it in the aluminum pot, which we've also had since the '50s-60s.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    My current pot is aluminum. We had one of the SS kegs many years ago, think one of my siblings have it. I have the SS grate from it, pictured above, and use it in the aluminum pot, which we've also had since the '50s-60s.
    We have several really old aluminum pots also but none big enough for a bushel but I really like them for small batches of crabs.

Funny how something like that stays so long in a family. At least I think so.

I imagine if you ask around you could easily enough find another keg if you wanted one.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    The 1941 aluminum pot I have will easily hold a bushel.

You're right about stuff staying in the family. Older I get, more that sort of thing matters to me.

Lot of good memories in that pot.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The 1941 aluminum pot I have will easily hold a bushel.

You're right about stuff staying in the family. Older I get, more that sort of thing matters to me.

Lot of good memories in that pot.
    Good memories are worth more than money!

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    This is the racks that I have for my pot. I think the grated one was fabricated at some point. I inherited both of mine. We had 7 or 8 of them in the family at one point. Also a picture of the born on date.
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg

Jweiss013

MSI and MSRPA Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 9, 2019
    Baltimore Co
    New want unlocked, i will have to start keeping an eye out. My current pot will do a half bushel at a time. Works fine up until youre having a party.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    NIce pot. My 66qt SS Cayjun does about 3/4 bushel and something bigger would be handy. I retired my alum pot becasue I was getting like 1 tbl spoon of alum oxide every time I cleaned it. BTW, if you are having issues cleaning your pot, try soaking it for an hour using 5 Star PBW cleaner. My pot looks brand new after this treatment.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have one! It was my FILs. I never really paid much attention, assuming it was made from a beer keg. I learned something today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom