• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMD354

With the way things are today I was wondering if anyone can recommend a powder that will work in both 45 ACP and 44 Mag. I have some red dot but the loads would be alittle light and I'm afraid the 45 ACP won't cycle through my Para Ordnance G I 45. I was looking for something a little stiffer for both rounds. I plan on using 230gr lead RN for 45 ACP and 240gr RN for the 44 Mag. When I find them I plan on using CCI 300 primers, I'm on 4 waiting lists so far.

Thanks

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I hear about unique being dirty all the time. I don't doubt any ones experiences. However, unique has been clean burning in all the applications I have tried it in so far. For me it has been both very accurate and very clean in 45 acp and 44 mag. It is my first choice in 45 acp and second best in 44 of my different loads. In my loads unique has been cleaner than h110 and 2400 in the 44. I have also used unique in 38 special, 357 mag, 38 SW, and 30-30.

The OP has red dot and it is very good for both as well. I don't personally use that much of it but one of my mentors loves it for both. No problems operating his or my 45s with red dot.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've never heard anyone buy you say that Unique is clean! LOL!

I have used Unique and Herco for .44 Mag, and it seems like solid powder for .45 ACP as well. If I was looking for one powder for both, that's what I'd use. My Dad liked 10 grains of Unique with, and I think he used the 250 grain Lyman Keith cast bullet with that. I use 9 grains of Unique, and that produces a decent range-worthy load. I've never used Unique for .45 ACP - just Bullseye, which I like a lot. I know there is a light loading for .44 Mag with Bullseye, but it's not what I'd call common.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Bullseye would be my #3 choice as one powder for both. Many will comment with double charge issues with bullseye in the 44. I would feel confident in my process of charging cases to not let a double charge happen and stop me from using it. Bullseye is excellent in 45 acp and I have not tried it in the 44 but I know one reloader I respect that loves it in the 44. I have some and this thread may warrant a trial.

I load 10 grains of unique behind 250 gran cast bullet in the 44 mag or 5.8 grains behind a 230 cast bullet in the 45 acp. Both exceed my need in accuracy and clean burning.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are looking at stiffer loads, I would NOT try to use the same powder in both.

.45 likes a faster powder. .44 Mag likes a slower powder.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I see both Clays & Titegroup listed in 45ACP & 44Mag load datas.

Titegroup is not a position sensitive powder, and is supposed to be very good. I have a can of it, but have not developed loads with it yet.

I did recently use Clays as I have a few cans, and test fired the rounds out of my 1911 & Tommy. It cycled cleanly, and the cases were incredibly clean! No soot what so ever. I loaded 4.0 grains of Clays behind a 230 LRN. I plan on doing some thourough paper testing with a few hundred rounds of it this weekend.

I bought Clays, because my usual Win 231/ HP-38 is getting hard to find at the moment. Win 231/HP-38 is my go to powder for 45ACP.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For .44 Magnum and .45 acp. . . . . Unique!!!!!!

No, Unique is NOT 'clean', but, what powder is???
    There's not one powder that you can use, that leaves a firearm 'clean'. Just don't exist.

I've heard a LOT of people 'complain' that Unique is 'dirty'.
    You've not experienced 'dirty' until you use some IMR-4759 in .38 Special.
    In comparison, using Unique is like using soap powder vs. 4759.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I see both Clays & Titegroup listed in 45ACP & 44Mag load datas.

Titegroup is not a position sensitive powder, and is supposed to be very good. I have a can of it, but have not developed loads with it yet.

I did recently use Clays as I have a few cans, and test fired the rounds out of my 1911 & Tommy. It cycled cleanly, and the cases were incredibly clean! No soot what so ever. I loaded 4.0 grains of Clays behind a 230 LRN. I plan on doing some thourough paper testing with a few hundred rounds of it this weekend.

I bought Clays, because my usual Win 231/ HP-38 is getting hard to find at the moment. Win 231/HP-38 is my go to powder for 45ACP.

Titegroup is pretty dirty with lead, but not excessive.

Another powder to consider for .45 is hodgon titewad.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I use Unique for both 45 and 44, if you keep the loads in the mid to upper end where Unique likes to be. It will burn cleaner, load on the light side you will see soot on the brass.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you are looking at stiffer loads, I would NOT try to use the same powder in both.

.45 likes a faster powder. .44 Mag likes a slower powder.
    I think it depends on what you are trying to get out of it. 2400 was what old Elmer Keith loaded in his .44, but I think for general purpose loading, Unique is a decent way to go, and a lot of guys like that for .45 ACP as well. Dad typically used either Unique or Hodgdon HP38 for his .45 ACP...or at least that's what he was using their toward the end. It could be that's what he had on hand for the task so therefore it was what he used.

I wish like heck he was still alive - there are SO many things I would ask him about guns and reloading.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I used to use Unique for .45. But switched to WW231 (which is the same powder at Hodgdon HP-38).

But for .44 Magnum, I would be looking at 2400, H110, Blue Dot, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom