Post 10/1 SBR done outside MD - Bringing it to MD? Trust questions too...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    Hi All,

I moved back in January out of MD to FL for my job. I have extensively increased my gun collection while in FL these past few months...firearms that are not allowed to be purchased in MD anymore (especially due to the current configuration)

There is a reasonable chance that next year (jan-feb timeframe), I may have to move back to MD for my job.

Will I be allowed to bring in firearms that I SBR'd in FL that are <29 OAL.
    What if those weapons are also banned in MD now? For instance, I picked up a HK94K Clone and submitted my paperwork already to SBR it and its way shorter than 29in.

I also have a SIG P516 recently purchased, SCAR 16 & 17 (submitted SBR paperwork), etc...

I'm assuming the SCARs will be ok since they will be SBR'd and in the NFA registry.

Are post 10/1 AR Pistols allowed in MD now? If they aren't...will transferring this weapon, and any other weapons that I have the same issue with, into my Trust take care of this issue if I had to move back to MD.

Thanks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hi All,
    Will I be allowed to bring in firearms that I SBR'd in FL that are <29 OAL?
    Nope.

What if those weapons are also banned in MD now? For instance, I picked up a HK94K Clone and submitted my paperwork already to SBR it and its way shorter than 29in.
    Still banned.

I also have a SIG P516 recently purchased, SCAR 16 & 17 (submitted SBR paperwork), etc...
    Those are fine as long as they're > 29" and don't have two evil features (ie, they are not copycat weapons).

I'm assuming the SCARs will be ok since they will be SBR'd and in the NFA registry.
    See my comments above about copycat weapons.

Are post 10/1 AR Pistols allowed in MD now?
    According to the letter that Engage got recently, yes. Remember that you would need to register them with the MSP.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Hi All,

Curious, if he has the ability to change the config of his SBRs to 29+" (depending on what he SBRd) could he do that before bringing them into MD? Also notify the ATF of the changes? I know it usually doesnt matter with change in length but considering Fed law is 26 and MD is 29, i think if he can change them, his SBRs can come back into MD

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania
    Hi All,

I moved back in January out of MD to FL for my job. I have extensively increased my gun collection while in FL these past few months...firearms that are not allowed to be purchased in MD anymore (especially due to the current configuration)

There is a reasonable chance that next year (jan-feb timeframe), I may have to move back to MD for my job.

Are post 10/1 AR Pistols allowed in MD now? If they aren't...will transferring this weapon, and any other weapons that I have the same issue with, into my Trust take care of this issue if I had to move back to MD.

Thanks

The best thing you can do at this time is write the Maryland State Police Firearms Division with these questions and put it to the attention Of Corporal Edwards, as the way I understand it now, none of the firearms you have now would be legal in Maryland, even if they are already in the NFA Registry, ATF will adhere to the Maryland law.....banned means banned! And when you fill out your paperwork to move your class 3 stuff, most likely it will kick back that you can't move it to Maryland, and that paperwork is taking approximately 8-12 weeks to get a response back. Good Luck...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Curious, if he has the ability to change the config of his SBRs to 29+" (depending on what he SBRd) could he do that before bringing them into MD?
    As long as they weren't copycat weapons otherwise, sure.

Also notify the ATF of the changes?
    Not required, strictly speaking, but still a good idea if he's going to leave it like that forever.

I am actually facing a similar issue with potentially moving to WA state... I have a Saiga 12 SBS that I can't bring with me as a shorty. I've got to either perma-attach an extension or leave it behind in a secure location (which would presumably mean a personal gun safe at my folks' house).

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    I was approved for (3) separate form 1's at a 26" OAL: 7.5" barrel :confused:

*corrected they are form 1's

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 244
    Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nope.

Still banned.

Those are fine as long as they're > 29" and don't have two evil features (ie, they are not copycat weapons).

See my comments above about copycat weapons.

According to the letter that Engage got recently, yes. Remember that you would need to register them with the MSP.
    I thought copycats owned before 10-1 werer still legal to continue to possess. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Purchased the (3) lowers pre oct 1st. Handed to a senior trooper in person, who looked everything over. Handed it to him on 12/12/13.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Erwos said no

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatalsports
    Hi All,
    Will I be allowed to bring in firearms that I SBR'd in FL that are <29 OAL?

Nope.
    That's why I'm confused.

Last edited:

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    I wish you good luck my friend. What we have is whats in question.

OAL must greater than 29"

http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=119351&d=1400181575

It shouldn't matter, because 1. It was sent Before Oct.1st, 2, all 3 are grandfathered, and 4. I received a form 4 weapon approval in March 2014, for a weapon sent in in July 2013. i.e Grandfathered, an Arsenal 107UR less than 29"!!!! So, I wouldn't be worried about all the hoopla everyone's passing off, if it's grandfathered, try and see, if not, shoot for the <29" length! It's way too much what ifs, maybes, I don't knows on here! Send the ish in to the MSP, if they sign off, it's a GO! If not, it's a NO!!!! Forget all the rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I thought copycats owned before 10-1 werer still legal to continue to possess. I'm sure I'm missing something here.
    They are. Thing is, if you have a post 10/1 form 1, you did not own that gun before 10/1, because the gun was newly manufactured after 10/1 (such is the whole point of a form 1).

I take a stricter position on form 1s than most people - I am not 100% convinced that a form 1 approved after 10/1, even if it was filed before 10/1, gives you a legal copycat weapon. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom