• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010

I read this article on the Canadian armed forces finally transitioning to Sig pistols, replacing Browning 9mm Hi-Powers. Is it possible these surplus handguns will be on the used gun market in the US? I know Canada is very restrictive with guns, but if an importer can buy these guns and drive them across the border, 7000 pistols is a large supply for the C&R market in the US.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Besides the Canadian government and its current Leftist attitudes not likely to issue export certificates...and a Leftist US Administration not likely to issue import certificates...I doubt if we'll ever see them in this country...legally.

More than likely they'll be destroyed.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There would have to be a radical shift in the political landscape north of the razor wire for this to happen. I wouldn't bet a cent on it. Besides Trudeau you also have the UN pushing governments to destroy small arms to keep them off the market.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think it has been confirmed that they will be destroyed. No hope of them entering the surplus market. Canada is not the Philippines

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There would have to be a radical shift in the political landscape north of the razor wire for this to happen. I wouldn't bet a cent on it. Besides Trudeau you also have the UN pushing governments to destroy small arms to keep them off the market.

Yeah, let's hear it for the UN. A bigger bunch of self-important autocratic elitists and tyrants has never before been assembled on this planet.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wonder how these got here then? :shrug:

There's a huge difference from shipping guns out of Canada from private hands vs Canadian government. I'm not surprised that the Canadian government is OK with exporting Lugers from a private collection, makes Canada much safer! But the Canadian government is not going to export HPs, they'll destroy them. Would love to be wrong on this front but given how hostile the current Canadian administration is to firearms it's all but a done thing.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Sounds like a Foreign Military Sale or Assistance for the Canadians to the some 3rd World Sh*thole.

Ukrainians probably wouldn’t want them since these Inglis BHPs are “old and used“ and the Ukes want brand new gear.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

I read this article on the Canadian armed forces finally transitioning to Sig pistols, replacing Browning 9mm Hi-Powers. Is it possible these surplus handguns will be on the used gun market in the US? I know Canada is very restrictive with guns, but if an importer can buy these guns and drive them across the border, 7000 pistols is a large supply for the C&R market in the US.
    These aren’t all Browning HPs, quite a few if not most are likely to be Inglis HPs which are just as desirable as any post-war Belgian Browning if you know the history behind the Inglis.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Sounds like a Foreign Military Sale or Assistance for the Canadians to the some 3rd World Sh*thole.

Ukrainians probably wouldn’t want them since these Inglis BHPs are “old and used“ and the Ukes want brand new gear.
    Were I the Ukrainians, I'd take the guns...mostly because I can sell them on the American collector's market. Probably trade them, one BHP for two Glocks or P320s.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Were I the Ukrainians, I'd take the guns...mostly because I can sell them on the American collector's market. Probably trade them, one BHP for two Glocks or P320s.
    I do wonder what the market will look like post war of Russian aggression.

I'd imagine Ukraine will, at some point, want to consolidate around standardized gear. Of course, no hope of those machineguns, even converted, entering the US. But I'd imagine a lot of handguns coming into the US. I wonder if any countries or arms dealers were selling non-select fire long gun to Ukraine. Might be a lot of shotguns based on videos. Seems like they are issuing them to every platoon (smartly). Might be a lot of captured Russian Mosins and some captured Russian SKS.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Over the last couple decades there have been numerous stories of American arms importers traveling to Russia to negotiate the purchase of obsolete small arms stored in salt mines. Esp. ex- German small arms like the K/G43. The inside word has been that Russian asking prices were waaay too high to make it economically viable. Throw in the fact that the condition of the goods has deteriorated significantly over this period. To the point where they may not be worth saving as spares in most cases.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    BHP/Inglis has been on my bucket list for years; makes me rage against the machine.

I've seen many nice one's come up at auction, IIRC with matching mag/mags, that were in my price range

However, with the CA 10 round mag limit (and I believe this applies to MD also), the issued mags are verboten. Even though the original design was for a 14 round mag.

So, me with a C&R FFL, I pass up on bidding for these, as to me, separating the matching mag from the pistol would be an unpardonable sin.

The stupidity of the State Legislatures boggles and infuriates me. I'm buying as a collector cockbreath morons!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    . . . and the price of Inglis Hi Powers jumps 50%.

Jul 1, 2012
    Wonder how these got here then? :shrug:

As Mawkie indicates, Tom was able to import them from private collectors. It's not easy or cheap but it can be done, even by a lowly -03 (and no import marking required if going that route).

BHP/Inglis has been on my bucket list for years; makes me rage against the machine.

I've seen many nice one's come up at auction, IIRC with matching mag/mags, that were in my price range

However, with the CA 10 round mag limit (and I believe this applies to MD also), the issued mags are verboten. Even though the original design was for a 14 round mag.

So, me with a C&R FFL, I pass up on bidding for these, as to me, separating the matching mag from the pistol would be an unpardonable sin.

The stupidity of the State Legislatures boggles and infuriates me. I'm buying as a collector cockbreath morons!
    Inglis BHP's were never issued with matching serial number magazines (which are 13 round) so you have that going for you. Not to say someone or some agency didn't number them later, but they weren't issued that way. The only numbered mags I can think of are the post-war West German police BHP's. You can still get those "super dangerous high capacity" mags into MD it just takes some fore-thought. And yes it sucks that an -03 can't directly "import" a C&R pistol mag > 10 rounds.

Jul 1, 2012
    . . . and the price of Inglis Hi Powers jumps 50%.
    LOL it's already about doubled in the last 5 years or so... most have been through at least one full overhaul and refinished at least once. Finding one with no import marks and original finish is sublime. Finding one with an intact original Maple Leaf decal on the frame... priceless (or so those that are selling them seem to think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom