posessing regulated/banned firearms with regards to roomates after oct 1st?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    question guys:

I remember hearing in this gun bill legislature lots of talk about denying access to un/disqualified persons. Specifically, that an owner can be found criminally responsible/have property siezed if it is determined that they are allowing access by persons that would otherwise not be able to aquire such firearms.

One of my roomates has a felony charge from another state many years ago (long, boring, stupid story). This is actually in the process of getting expunged. I am not comfortable enough to bring firearms into the house (preferring to store them in a safe on family property) just because the laws are not in our favor. I was wondering, if I had regulated/banned firearms after the oct 1st deadline, would it be illegal for me to keep said items in the same house as this person? Would it matter if their record has been expunged? would it matter if they were properly locked?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    From what I've been told (hearsay - don't trust me on it), following October it would be legal to possess on the property if you had some way of keeping it locked up (locking safe, etc).

soco

May 21, 2012
    If true, are trigger locks sufficient? Don't feel like installing a safe in a rental...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If true, are trigger locks sufficient? Don't feel like installing a safe in a rental...

No, needs to be a safe or locked closet that does not allow them to pick up the firearm and walk off with it.

TurkeyTrack

Nov 17, 2012
    If the record is expunged, then you no longer need to worry. It will be as if the arrest and conviction never occurred. As for now, the law is not clear on what having "access" to a firearm means. But, if you can lock it inside a hard case, then he/she would not have access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom