• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    I think AK's will be the last thing to get straightened out. I just hope people don't start asking the MSP questions that would lead them to rescind the "100% interchangeable" language. That would be a shame. Honestly, I think forcing the AK issue (at this time) would be a mistake.

I'll definitely agree with that, especially since they're mentioned twice on the list.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think AK's will be the last thing to get straightened out. I just hope people don't start asking the MSP questions that would lead them to rescind the "100% interchangeable" language. That would be a shame. Honestly, I think forcing the AK issue (at this time) would be a mistake.

The problem with AK is, all AK type firearms are enumerated in the law. So one AK variant doesn't have to be a copy of another one, they are both AKs and banned.

M1A is more specific to a specific firearm.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I found this in Black's Law Dictionary...
    What is "shall"?
    As used in statutes and similar instruments, this word is generally imperative or mandatory; but it may be construed as merely permissive or directory, (as equivalent to "may,") to carry out the legislative intention and In cases where no right or benefit to any one depends on its being taken in the imperative sense, and where no public or private right is impaired by its interpretation in the other sense. Also, as against the government, "shall" is to be construed as "may," unless a contrary intention is manifest. See Wheeler v. Chicago, 24 111. 105, 76 Am. Dec. 736; People v. Chicago Sanitary Dist., 184 111. 597, 56 N. E. 9.".:;: Madison v. Daley (C. C.) 58 Fed. 753; Cairo & F. R. Co. v. Ilecht, 95 U. S. 170, 24 L. Ed. 423. SHAM PLEA. See PLEA. SHARE 1082 SHERIFF
    As Garner (editor of Black's) points out, "Shall" is horribly misused in the law and its use should be avoided.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Always great to buy a chinese gun you will still need to put $500 to $800 to bring to GI spec, but at least its legal.

If you bring it to GI spec, you will be making a banned firearm. The whole point, they are legal BECAUSE they are not GI spec.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I wonder if a successful argument could be made that the internal construction (well, okay, metallurgy at the grain level) of a cast receiver is different from the metallurgy of a forged receiver, and therefore no forged receivers are copies of the enumerated M1A?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the parts fit, it is a copy. It doesn't matter how it was made.

Function is the basic test.

And that is why the Polytechs are not banned, the dimensions of certain parts are different and so do not FIT the M1A and vice versa.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    No ****ing way they keep the Polytech on there. We all know the truth - that this is an M1A copy.

Nice to know piston ARs are ready to go, though.

a couple posters noted or asked regarding MSP's interpretation that the HK 556 is not banned, means piston AR's are not banned, but the drop down list, the Sig 550/551 are desiganted as banned. Are these not also gas piston operation? (or is the Sig 550/551 specifically listed as banned in 281?)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    a couple posters noted or asked regarding MSP's interpretation that the HK 556 is not banned, means piston AR's are not banned, but the drop down list, the Sig 550/551 are desiganted as banned. Are these not also gas piston operation? (or is the Sig 550/551 specifically listed as banned in 281?)
    They are banned by name.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, the stock does interchange - I know, because I've got a real Swiss stock on my 556R. The link is referring to the old-school 556s that came with AR-style stocks. It would be fascinating if the MSP ruled that the type of lower was the deciding factor on copy or not.

But I tend to agree that lack of barrel interchangeability should be enough to rule it not a copy given the MSP's decision on the MR556. In fact, the 551A1 may be "not a copy" for the same reason. *shrugs*

It's a bit of a moot point anyways - the old 556 is discontinued, and the 556xi is certainly different enough that it shouldn't be considered a copy.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    And that is why the Polytechs are not banned, the dimensions of certain parts are different and so do not FIT the M1A and vice versa.

They're relying on the manufacturers not changing their tooling / marketing. Aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom