• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Hmm, if SBR versions are legal, that opens a can of worms.

I submit a Form 1 for an SBR version of a banned firearm. I get it approved, and I make it. But I also make a longer than 16" barrel part to swap onto the SBR. But if I do that, I am making a banned firearm, as BATFE states that if you replace the SBR barrel with an over 16" barrel, the firearm is not then an SBR.

Yep, I think that’s exactly how it’d work. Convoluted but manageable.

Also, I wonder if the L1A1 would be legal now. While it is based on the FAL, the parts are not interchangeable as they are different dimensions. That would be a fun one to submit.

Inch vs metric sounds like a strong case to me.

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    I thought the Fulton Armory one was 100% interchangeable?

polytech/chinese

Looks like the polytech is mostly too. I think they just don't like Springfield armory. Seems pretty UN-American to allow cheap Chinese imports that will put American workers out of their jobs.

While they are feeling generous, we should submit the SOCOM 16 from Springfield. extended rail version this looks nothing like the evil M1A.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    polytech/chinese

Looks like the polytech is mostly too. I think they just don't like Springfield armory. Seems pretty UN-American to allow cheap Chinese imports that will put American workers out of their jobs.

Polytechs have been banned from importation since the 90's I believe.

If they weren't you could get them for $400 a piece.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    While they are feeling generous, we should submit the SOCOM 16 from Springfield. extended rail version this looks nothing like the evil M1A.
    The issue is not what it looks like; it's whether it's parts compatible with the M1A. Unfortunately, my understanding is that the SOCOM 16 does use standard M1A threads. So, unless there's some other difference I'm not aware of, maybe in the gas system, I dunno if you'd get away with it. I am still flat-out stunned that the MSP thought that a threading difference was enough to not make something a copy. Using that logic, the local shops should just start pinning 1/2x20 adapters to their ARs to make 'em legal.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    polytech/chinese

"Mostly" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Reading through the thread, Polytech you have to modify the receiver to take USGI parts; Fulton advertises 100% USGI geometry specifications and parts. That would mean "interchangeable." I realize it makes no sense that merely rethreading something (or some other trivial mod) turns it from banned to cash and carry because something is no longer truly interchangeable with something on the scary child killer list, but welcome to Maryland.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    The issue is not what it looks like; it's whether it's parts compatible with the M1A. Unfortunately, my understanding is that the SOCOM 16 does use standard M1A threads. So, unless there's some other difference I'm not aware of, maybe in the gas system, I dunno if you'd get away with it. I am still flat-out stunned that the MSP thought that a threading difference was enough to not make something a copy. Using that logic, the local shops should just start pinning 1/2x20 adapters to their ARs to make 'em legal.

The non-interchangeable part has to be 1) internal and 2) necessary for the full function of the firearm. Don't be stunned - the request was made referencing their rules and verifiable facts.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The non-interchangeable part has to be 1) internal and 2) necessary for the full function of the firearm. Don't be stunned - the request was made referencing their rules and verifiable facts.
    Yes, but they never applied the rules quite like that before - or are you forgetting that Polytechs were considered regulated since the law came into effect?

Look, I'm as happy about it as anyone, if this is really going to be the way moving forward.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    If someone took a virgin LRB receiver and built it into a handgun with a sage stock and a sig brace that would be legal, Yes? Or maybe some one would build one into a blowback 9mm carbine. Also since it couldn't legally be made into a now banned rifle, the receiver should be cash and carry now.

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    Seeing as how the M1A or USGI M14 bolt will not work in a Polytech / Norinco M14s without machining of the receiver, I an see how that would be considered not a copy.

The L1A1 on the other hand probably will not fly. All major components are interchangeable from the FAL to and from the L1A1. Bolts, barrels, and complete trigger housings all swap. And pretty much every receiver in the US is actually metric, or a modified metric, regardless of what parts are on it. As much as I would love to see any FAL or L1A1 variant legal for sale again in MD, I think it is way more of a stretch than the Polytech / M1A "ruling".

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Also, the L1A1 was a licensed copy of the FN FAL. I agree with Bill that it's a hell of a stretch, given the wording in the list (which isn't specific).

crowleycr

Mar 4, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Here is where the M1A is banned in the "law"

Springfield Armory BM59, SAR48, G3, M21 Sniper Rifle, M1A excluding the Garand;

I didn't know Springfield made all of these so I checked. They made all of them but the G3, They didn't make the G3, they sold a SAR3 or a SAR8. Note, that SAR 48 is just like the FAL There was also Baretta BM59 before Springfield.

They also banned the M1A SOCOM 16 Separately (it wasn't in the original list).
    "Status: Banned
    Justification: Copy of Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand
    Date of Status: 10/1/2013"

"Weapon Selected: Polytech Inc M14;
    Justification: NOT REGULATED BY STATUTE
    Date of Status: 08/05/2014
    Comments: "

Last edited:

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    Seeing as how the M1A or USGI M14 bolt will not work in a Polytech / Norinco M14s without machining of the receiver, I an see how that would be considered not a copy.

The L1A1 on the other hand probably will not fly. All major components are interchangeable from the FAL to and from the L1A1. Bolts, barrels, and complete trigger housings all swap. And pretty much every receiver in the US is actually metric, or a modified metric, regardless of what parts are on it. As much as I would love to see any FAL or L1A1 variant legal for sale again in MD, I think it is way more of a stretch than the Polytech / M1A "ruling".

Please, please, please, do not say stuff like this unless you have sat down with a true FN FAL and a Century Arms L1A1 and tried to switch out every internal component and see if the weapon functioned. There are various internal components of the L1A1 that will NOT function in a metric FAL and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom