• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zachsw15

Nov 2, 2010
    I just bought the gun that i have always wanted a M14 its not a Springfield but for 800 i could not pass it up espically seeing how in a week I will be at Paris Island for Basic training. If someone could help me find a date of when my babe was made it would be great! the serial number is 21087. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• m14.jpg
      m14.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 815

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    You need the lotto no's off the side of the reciever. Here is a link that should help you.
    http://m14forum.com/reference/92640-poly-tech-manufacture-date.html

I will say this though. After google-fuing this topic this morning i have learned the following. When you get back from boot camp and training. You may want to send that baby off to fulton armory or warbird and get the chinese upgrade done. Seems almost everyone that gets one of these and actually shoots it needs this done. The way i understand it polytech versions all have chrome lined barrels. The above two companies will do the conversion while leaving your barrel, To keep costs down. If you ever want real accuracy out of it though you will have to change the barrel. Chinese metallurgy sucks balls and thats just the way it is. The bolts are "soft" and will lose headspace rapidly due to the ever shrinking locking lugs on the M-14 bolt.

Hope this helps.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    These are actually pretty good guns, I have almost popped for one off and on. They probably can be made even better than the current base springfield.

My understanding is also that a GI bolt assembly will fit these quite well, as the polytech bolts had some cracking issues. That said it wouldnt worry me much, as there are lots of guns people say have issues that never do.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    the numbers are 3 6 26 37 9 imported by IDE USA SFLD MICH thanks for all the help!

My guess would be that this rifle is 26 June 1993 from what I have read. The high serial number would kind of confirm that too.

Mark

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Congrats on the rifle!. You will be very pleased with your polytech. Go out and find some GI mags or some T57 mags (taiwaneese). Order some ammo online and have at it.

Check the rear sight make sure it has positive clicks and holds elevation and windage.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You need the lotto no's off the side of the reciever. Here is a link that should help you.
    http://m14forum.com/reference/92640-poly-tech-manufacture-date.html

I will say this though. After google-fuing this topic this morning i have learned the following. When you get back from boot camp and training. You may want to send that baby off to fulton armory or warbird and get the chinese upgrade done. Seems almost everyone that gets one of these and actually shoots it needs this done. The way i understand it polytech versions all have chrome lined barrels. The above two companies will do the conversion while leaving your barrel, To keep costs down. If you ever want real accuracy out of it though you will have to change the barrel. Chinese metallurgy sucks balls and thats just the way it is. The bolts are "soft" and will lose headspace rapidly due to the ever shrinking locking lugs on the M-14 bolt.

Hope this helps.
    i'm guessing you dont own one.
    i do. theres nothing i would do to these to fix anything. rumors of soft/bad parts were started by fulton armory.(guess what they sell).:rolleyes: to try to discourage buyers from getting the then cheap polytech guns.
    they are great guns.:thumbsup:

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    i'm guessing you dont own one.
    i do. theres nothing i would do to these to fix anything. rumors of soft/bad parts were started by fulton armory.(guess what they sell).:rolleyes: to try to discourage buyers from getting the then cheap polytech guns.
    they are great guns.:thumbsup:

You are correct sir. I do not own one, I thought was pretty clear about that. I simply wanted to convey the info I saw yesterday. Just so you know I didn't get any info from fulton. Everything I read was complaints and failures from guys that have them.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Marstar Canada still imports and sells the Norinco M14 clone to our northern cousins for the outrageous price of $429 CD and the word is that most owners are very happy with theirs.
    As to Polytechs, what I've heard is generally positive. And any problem items can be easily replaced with quality US GI components so you can "upgrade" as your wallet allows. If you're looking for a fun, all-purpose M1A then this is an affordable option. If you want to shoot hi-power then I'd go with a Smith Ent., FA or SA.
    The good:
    Forged receiver
    Chrome lined barrel of decent quality
    Forged OP rod
    Parts built to US GI specs
    The bad:
    Rear sight quality
    Stock material of marginal quality
    Some soft bolts reported (Rockwell'd in the low 40s)

If it was mine I'd swap out the rear sight and stock for US GI and then buy a set of head space gages to keep an eye on things down the road. I've heard too many stories to know what's true and what's crap. Better to have the tools on hand to verify the condition of the bolt yourself.

zachsw15

Nov 2, 2010
    Thanks for everyones help and i shot it yesterday and at 100yds it will shoot a squirels nuts clean off :lol: but again thanks for everyones help SEMPER FI!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom