• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Speaking of non-standard ammo - is there anything interesting/special/good/bad about the new (to me) polymer-coated rounds, like the American Eagle 9mm (115gr) "total synthetic jacket" as they call it? I'm sure there are others, along with the things like Ruger's new ARX line.

There are some good deals on some of these, I'll pick some up at some point and put it down range, but I'm curious if anyone else already has notes to share...

s/f

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've been reloading with King's PC bullets for the past year. They essentially powder coat cast bullets with a polymer. A company in Australia seams to be the industry leader in producing the coating materials and many companies have been offering them for several years. The cast bullet industry advertises it as an alternative to Alox coating or lube in the groove.
    Also, plastic coatings (Teflon or Nylon?) were tried before for lead abatement in indoor ranges. I can't remember if it was Winchester for sure, but it didnt' last as most lead was found to be from the primer compounds. The left press claimed they were "cop killer" body armor piercing murderers' tools. You see ammo companies advertising lead free primers now. It seems to have gotten a jump in the EU.

Back to synthetic coated bullets: They work. They're accurate if they are sized to fit the grooves correctly. They don't leave anything in the bore - no copper, no coating, no lead. Just powder residue. Can't see why major companies wouldn't be using the same basic stuff.
    I cleaned my barrrels with a good copper cleaner like Wipe-Out after shooting jacketed just as I would for regular lead. Don't know if it's necessary like switching from jacket to cast though, hust habit.
    Nothing really new about it. The major ammo makers are jumping on the bandwagon and either got licensed to use the Australian company's patents or came up with some compound and method that doesn't require licensing.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've been using coated bullets for a while now. I've used a chronograph for testing, and have found that I get 50 fps more with a coated bullet versus a hardcast lead bullet. So I can use less powder to get my loads where I want them, speed wise. My hard cast lead bullet of choice is $88 for 1000, the same bullet but coated is $98 for 1000. Berry's plated bullets are $99 for 1000. And coated bullets can be shot faster than hard cast lead and plated bullets.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I made a thread about this a while ago. Since then I have fired 2000 rounds of it with no issues. I got 1000 rounds for $134 in a bulk pack. They shoot clean, for some reason they left residue all over my hands when loading the mags though. It washed right off.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've been reloading with King's PC bullets for the past year. They essentially powder coat cast bullets with a polymer. A company in Australia seams to be the industry leader in producing the coating materials and many companies have been offering them for several years. The cast bullet industry advertises it as an alternative to Alox coating or lube in the groove.
    Also, plastic coatings (Teflon or Nylon?) were tried before for lead abatement in indoor ranges. I can't remember if it was Winchester for sure, but it didnt' last as most lead was found to be from the primer compounds. The left press claimed they were "cop killer" body armor piercing murderers' tools. You see ammo companies advertising lead free primers now. It seems to have gotten a jump in the EU.

Back to synthetic coated bullets: They work. They're accurate if they are sized to fit the grooves correctly. They don't leave anything in the bore - no copper, no coating, no lead. Just powder residue. Can't see why major companies wouldn't be using the same basic stuff.
    I cleaned my barrrels with a good copper cleaner like Wipe-Out after shooting jacketed just as I would for regular lead. Don't know if it's necessary like switching from jacket to cast though, hust habit.
    Nothing really new about it. The major ammo makers are jumping on the bandwagon and either got licensed to use the Australian company's patents or came up with some compound and method that doesn't require licensing.
    The coating on the black talons were coated in "lubalox"(molybdenum disulfide). They were dubbed "cop killer bullets" about the time lethal weapon had "teflon coated armor piercing bullets" as a plot device. Much like the ceramic glock 7 that goes through metal detectors, the uninformed flipped their minds because they get information from movies instead of science. In reality, they just reduced fouling and looked cool.

I like that barnes went with the black nickel coating on the xpd loads. They look pretty awesome. Im not sure if they actually reduce fouling or just make ot harder to see though.

Attachments

• attachment-7.jpeg
      attachment-7.jpeg
      124 KB · Views: 303

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Teflon coating used on bullets meant for armor piercing rounds was to protect the bore of the gun...it didn't help the penetration ability of the bullet at all...regardless of how the politicians and media portrayed it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The polymer coated bullets are far cleaner than cast, and they don't have copper fouling. They reduce both copper and lead fumes in the air. My friends who load with coated bullets are happy with them. They get slightly higher velocity than a plated bullet of the same weight with the same powder charge too. It's a good way of being able to meet power factor with less pressure and recoil.

The Teflon coating used on bullets meant for armor piercing rounds was to protect the bore of the gun...it didn't help the penetration ability of the bullet at all...regardless of how the politicians and media portrayed it.

The Teflon coating on the KTW bullets actually helped it punch through hard barriers vehicle skin and auto glass simply because the Teflon plastic was stickier than the hard bronze bullet under it. It would grip the surface of the target to allow the bullet to punch straight rather than deflect when it contacted at an angle.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    They don't leave anything in the bore - no copper, no coating, no lead. Just powder residue. Can't see why major companies wouldn't be using the same basic stuff.
    That's the biggest advantage. Someone recently gave me some lead round nose. .38 Spc ammo and I dread shooting it. Cleaning out bores had never been fun, and usually I have to shoot jacketed ammo to clean out the lead.

I don't know how polymer ammo expands, though. How do the .357 loads do in expansion? Can they really keep their awesome manstopping characteristics?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's the biggest advantage. Someone recently gave me some lead round nose. .38 Spc ammo and I dread shooting it. Cleaning out bores had never been fun, and usually I have to shoot jacketed ammo to clean out the lead.

I don't know how polymer ammo expands, though. How do the .357 loads do in expansion? Can they really keep their awesome manstopping characteristics?

I actually found that a few full power .357 handloads do a good job of cleaning out my GP100 after shooting lead .38s. They blast literally all the lead off the cylinder face, forcing cone, and chamber throats.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I actually found that a few full power .357 handloads do a good job of cleaning out my GP100 after shooting lead .38s. They blast literally all the lead off the cylinder face, forcing cone, and chamber throats.

Man, that sounds like utopia. Clean your firearms by shooting them more.

LOL

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

A case full of black powder does the same thing. That's why there's no leading in any of my cowboy guns.

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    Speaking of non-standard ammo - is there anything interesting/special/good/bad about the new (to me) polymer-coated rounds, like the American Eagle 9mm (115gr) "total synthetic jacket" as they call it? I'm sure there are others, along with the things like Ruger's new ARX line.

There are some good deals on some of these, I'll pick some up at some point and put it down range, but I'm curious if anyone else already has notes to share...

s/f
    I have been at every gun show for the past 4 years!.. Tomkat was one of the innovators in polymer coatings, AND WE ARE LOCAL!... YES there is an advantage to shooting polymer coat depending on how it's made... some knuckle heads powder coat, they have no lube in them...We do it the right way with heat resistant 3 part epoxy and hBN lubricant...hBN has 20..yes 20 times the lubrocity of moly coat...the epoxy doesn't burn or melt and holds a bullet together better than copper...the advantage ..minimal metal on metal contact..reduced fouling means nothing cuts the bullet and makes it fly funny..also, *hBN absorbs and dissipates heat thus more consistent bullet velocity...plus I MAKE THEM LOOK COOL!
    These are match grade hard cast bullets so they shoot like cowboy bullets without the fouling... We will be at Timonium this weekend with our distributor...J+E shooters supply..buy some loaded or as components and see for yourself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been at every gun show for the past 4 years!.. Tomkat was one of the innovators in polymer coatings, AND WE ARE LOCAL!... YES there is an advantage to shooting polymer coat depending on how it's made... some knuckle heads powder coat, they have no lube in them...We do it the right way with heat resistant 3 part epoxy and hBN lubricant...hBN has 20..yes 20 times the lubrocity of moly coat...the epoxy doesn't burn or melt and holds a bullet together better than copper...the advantage ..minimal metal on metal contact..reduced fouling means nothing cuts the bullet and makes it fly funny..also, *hBN absorbs and dissipates heat thus more consistent bullet velocity...plus I MAKE THEM LOOK COOL!
    These are match grade hard cast bullets so they shoot like cowboy bullets without the fouling... We will be at Timonium this weekend with our distributor...J+E shooters supply..buy some loaded or as components and see for yourself.

...and everybody knows that coll looking bullets shoot better. :D

Just kidding of course. ap1 and TomKat Ammo are first rate! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom