Poll - would you put this foregrip on your AR pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you put this foregrip on your AR pistol?

• Yes

Votes: 7 10.8%
    • No

Votes: 58 89.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Someone posted a letter from ATF regarding a 90 degree angle, and how (I think) the grip pictured would not make the weapon an AOW. I'm presuming that's what gave rise to this thread/poll.

This post:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=5094003&postcount=4

85 degrees or 90 degrees, the letter of the law may not be there, but even if it is legal, it's going to cost you money to get out from under that little experiment. No way.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    thats a no go for me and should be for everyone

the BCM even sells it labeled as a vertical grip

if they sold it as an angled grip maybe i could meet you half way here but if it looks like a vert grip then ATF is gonna treat it like one
    Exactly this.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I say no, my understanding is that it is illegal. Although, there is a stipulation for overall length; but I don't recall what it is. If it were me I would not even mess with it.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    auwd3m.png

Same grip ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I say no, my understanding is that it is illegal. Although, there is a stipulation for overall length; but I don't recall what it is. If it were me I would not even mess with it.

I believe it's over 26", it is no longer considered concealable a pistol.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Well this thread has created some great “constructive confrontation”. I hope that all interested have been able to see the inconsistencies between law, interpretation and ATF determination that exist in our hobby/sport/profession that make it difficult for the end user to purchase various mislabeled/confusingly marketed products.
    This grip is sold as angled by Brownells (BCM product). https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/foregrips/picatinny-bcmgunfighter-kag-angled-grip-polymer-gray-sku100016514-73702-158439.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-016-514&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-016-514
    Do you see anything terribly different from how you can grip it vs. the “vertical” one pictured in my OP? How about it’s design or the way it’s mounted to a rail?
    I can wrap my whole hand around this grip too.
    How about hand stops? They’re not marketed as a grip but you can easily use them as such. Most are designed with a 90 degree/vertical angle.
    Don’t these inconsistencies bother you? It does me.

Attachments

• 30DC85D7-CB57-402B-8101-7EBB15C1CFE3.jpeg
      30DC85D7-CB57-402B-8101-7EBB15C1CFE3.jpeg
      11.9 KB · Views: 182

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well this thread has created some great “constructive confrontation”. I hope that all interested have been able to see the inconsistencies between law, interpretation and ATF determination that exist in our hobby/sport/profession that make it difficult for the end user to purchase various mislabeled/confusingly marketed products.

If it's unclear as to the legality, then I simply avoid it. Period. The world will not end if I don't put a vertical grip on my AR pistol.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The age old question.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

For me a solid NO. Too many alternatives to risk becoming a prohibited person.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Is your goal to be a federal prison inmate? The answer is really simple. Don't festoon an AR pistol with anything an aggressive federal prosecutor can use to send you up the river. Life is too short to get tunnel vision and risk a life of misery over tactifool doodads.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Dude, what are you so hung up on regarding these forward grips? The one you posted originally is a vertical grip as per BCM. The last one you posted is their AFG..... it is angled as per BCM. It doesn't matter if you can hold them both the same way. They are different. One will get you 10 years in prison if you put it on your AR pistol, the other will not! You sound like the type of person who would write a letter to the ATF asking if it's legal to hold an angled grip the same way you hold a verticle grip!

Buy a damn angled grip or file your papers for an AOW stamp and then get the vert grip. JFC!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Won't cost me anything as I won't buy it.

I made a mistake. I posted about a different stock, or misread the letter.

Good lord.

So you're chastising me for a mistake that you made responding to a message? Isn't that cute?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I'll kick the horse one more time. I don't want to discuss it with the police.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Statement #1 - The foregrip on pistol issue is silly in the first place.

Statement #2 - That said , I prefer plain forends on rifle or pistol .

Statement #3 - Argueing that 89deg is meaningfully different from 90deg in Court, On Purpose, wouldn't be my Plan A . Or B . Or C . Etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom