• Pistol Grip

• No Pistol Grip

Results are only viewable after voting.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Title says it all. Is it purely preference or are there considerations that aren't obvious?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    What for?

Assuming you mean an actual pistol grip like a Vindicator, I think a regular buttstock is easier to wield under duress. The stock can be tucked under the firing forearm or in the armpit and easily fired one-handed if necessary. One-handed is tough to do with a pistol grip and such a front-heavy rig. I have a Pachmayr Vindicator set for an 870 in a box someplace that I thought would be wonderful and it wasn't.

If you mean pistol grip vs a straight wrist, I think it's personal preference and the feel is not that different.

md77

Aug 17, 2022
    MoCo
    I voted pistol grip, but in fairness don't have a pistol grip on any sporting shotgun, never even considered it on a skeet gun. So I guess my correct response is, it depends.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What for?

Assuming you mean an actual pistol grip like a Vindicator, I think a regular buttstock is easier to wield under duress. The stock can be tucked under the firing forearm or in the armpit and easily fired one-handed if necessary. One-handed is tough to do with a pistol grip and such a front-heavy rig. I have a Pachmayr Vindicator set for an 870 in a box someplace that I thought would be wonderful and it wasn't.

If you mean pistol grip vs a straight wrist, I think it's personal preference and the feel is not that different.
    Is that the one that sort of looks like a revolver grip?

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Bought a Benelli M3 w/pistol grip...didn't like it at all. Changed to a traditional stock ASAP-- much better.

IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    For HD, pistol grip all day. For sporting purposes, standard stock. Although I would say that the standard grip would work well in either scenario, I doubt the pistol grip would work very well on a duck gun or skeet rig. So, for a pick one and live with it....I’d have to say no pistol grip.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Is that the one that sort of looks like a revolver grip?
    Yes.
    Home defense.

Honestly didn't understand your distinction between a Vindicator and a regular pistol grip. As an example, the M4 is available with a pistol or without one.
    Ahhh, NOW we're going places...

The (Benelli) M4 has a full stock AND an available pistol grip that supplements the stock. As I had mentioned above, the Vindicator IS a regular pistol grip...no stock. That's why I was specific with the device. Your choices in the poll were "either/or" a pistol grip or a stock. I've used a Benelli M2 with a full stock and pistol grip for 3-gun and it was fine. I personally prefer a regular stock.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Magpul SGA stock if you're buying a gun that can be fitted with one. (Remington 870, Mossberg 500/590, Beretta 1301) It's the best of both worlds. Steep grip angle akin to a pistol grip, but still a regular stock that short and maneuverable.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Magpul SGA is a good way to split the difference. It's a traditional-style stock, with an angled somewhat pistol-style grip, and it also has spacers that let you adjust length of pull in half-inch increments from 12.5" to 14.5"

Shoulders perfectly (for me, anyway), it's super comfortable to hold, and the grip design makes it easy to hold and shoot one-handed, if the need arises.

One area where a pistol-grip puts you at a disadvantage is if you have a gun with a tang-mounted safety, like a Mossberg, as you have to take your thumb off of the grip to work the safety.

Edit...took to long to type, and Z beat me to it. So, "what he said."

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For me, the preference equation is fairly simple:
    Mag-fed = AR-style pistol gripped stock
    Tube-fed = straight/traditional stock like the SGA

Preference is purely due to reloads; I'm told there's a difference in recoil management and traditional is better, but I'm skeptical.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pistol grip only suck, hard to control and aim. Pretty much only as a range toy or short "non NFA firearm".

Pistol grip with a stock offer a bit better control, but gets in the way of loading, for me it does make it a little more comfortable racking a pump, and it places your elbow lower, so a little easier maneuvering around doorways and barriers indoors.

Straight stock, no pistol grip, is the easiest to swing, aim, and load, especially with twins or quads, it's sleeker and a little easier to carry. For me placing the elbow out helps control and shooting multiple targets faster provided you have enough room to move freely.

I have both, for 3 gun, clays or most things it's straight stocked only. I have taken my PG/recoil reducing stocked 870 pump to a tactical class, and it did well with slower tactical pouches and over/under single loading and top-offs. Using my semi-auto JM 930 in the same class I could shoot multiple targets MUCH faster, and with comp style 2/4 load shell holders it was far easier to keep loaded up, just a little less comfortable, and took a little more room maneuvering around doorways. For home defense, simple answer is either or neither. Both shotgun styles have benefits/issues and comes down to skill/training, but IMO a compact AR is a far better HD weapon, and offers a much better choice than either shotgun style.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Full pistol grip shotguns I've tried...actually not very many...all seem to have the same problem...they tend to increase felt recoil due to a higher sight line. At least to me they do. Plus...I think they aesthetically suck...but that takes a back seat to performance.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    No pistol grip!
    Especially HD. Pistol grip is much easier to disarm if it comes to retention in a struggle.
    Hold your remote, phone, etc like your holding a traditional grip, see how much upward rotation is required to lose grip. Then repeat as holding a pisto grip. Upward rotation is way less. IOW’s if someone grabs your shotgun barrel and rotates it upward and back on you you will lose grip on pistol style sooner.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I bought a shotgun with a pistol grip, it was a 590A1, the ergos made me switch to a magpul stock, pistol grip and 590 with the safety at the top the receiver is bad combination, either take your hand off the pistol grip to disengage/engage the safety or take your support/pump hand of the gun.

Sirex