Police stop and you are legally transporting a non-serial number firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    In the sort of circumstances where the police can actually act as defense, sure! But the problem is they are - pretty much by definition - only there to clean up after something like an assault or robbery. Sure, a DUI stop is essentially a cop defending us all from a slow-motion assault by a drunk. But if I'm unloading a bunch of expensive gear from my truck and get approached by someone who thinks they'd like to relieve me of it on pain of injury or death, the police simply cannot be present to defend me against that sort of thing. That's on me.

We had to brandish a piece to run off a seriously altered guy who was pounding on our door at 2:00AM one morning. Called the cops right away, but then the guy wound up at our back sliding glass door and starting to try to beat down that door with a piece of pipe while shouting threats. The only thing that changed his mind was a good look at the muzzle of a gun. The police were almost 20 minutes in arriving. If that had been my wife home alone, the cops would not have felt, at all, like an adequate defense. That has nothing to do with my respect for them and the hard, thankless jobs they do. But they are only rarely our first defenders. There's a reason we call them "responders" in that context. Shit's already happened at that point.

You responded in a justifiable manner according to the Constitution and law. You're correct. The police can't be there 24/7. Nor are they obligated to provide 24/7 personal security for every law-abiding citizen. Hence, the 2A. Keep at it. Personally, I would NEVER look for a way to hold you accountable for your actions ... because you did everything right in that case.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    There's a real but unofficial offense out there that has gotten many people in trouble. It's called "Contempt of Cop"...if you act like an A-hole don't expect the officer to be polite and courteous for too long. Piss him off enough and he can take his time until you cross the line and give him reason to arrest you when common courtesy was all it would have taken to complete the traffic stop and you go on your way. Even the best, most courteous officers can only tolerate so much.

I once told a citizen I stopped that he was the first person that ever talked his way into a citation rather than receive a written warning which normally would have been ok by me. If you act like a jerk don't expect leniency.

True. It came about post-Rodney King era. It was a mixture of anti-authority attitude and documented legit police abuse incidents (if I recall correctly). Either way, it's obviously not a Constitutional, legal foundation for a cop to defend himself/herself for his/her actions. It is more of a mindset instilled by training and experience. If that makes sense.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    Argue what you wish... It is your perspective and opinion from what ever has been your life.

However, As I told another...

That includes telling someone that their COTUS rights do not matter when they most assuredly DO. And FWIW... I was personally able, on at least two separate occasions, to remove individuals from LE when they thought otherwise.

As far as the "pointing a gun in someones face" ... it always comes up in these "Police" threads...

Funny thing... I HAVE seen LEOs charged with violation of civil rights... and yet...

When any miscreant/thug/robber/burglar/criminal etc... does assault another person and takes their rights from them during the commission of a crime... WHY DO WE NEVER CHARGE THE CRIMINAL WITH VIOLATION OF THE VICTIMS CIVIL RIGHTS? Why do THEY get a pass? I believe that when any criminal forcibly takes away the rights of another... be it Life, Liberty, or any other... THAT criminal is ceding their own rights in the process and should accept that what one takes from another... one should be willing to surrender them self. Punishment for crimes should be tailored to fit the crime committed.

RoadDawg makes valid points. I'll expand on them ...

Cops are always held to the alleged "higher standard", yet we fall under the SAME rule of law PLUS SOME ...

People (mainly criminals) always want to bitch, complain and avoid personal accountability. Yet they want to persecute cops under bias, false accusations, illegitimate protections and false assumptions under the Constitution and law. Under the same ideology, many pro-2A people want to blame the police for their OWN lack of accountability. That accountability includes their severe lack of training and experience. Keyboard warriors? Yes. Dumb people in general? Yep.

You want to defend your freedoms and attack cops? Stop "operating" under a false premise with ZERO training and experience. I know which group I'll be with when the shit hits the fan. It won't be the dying end that's been madly typing on a keyboard instead of being in training or in the real shit on the streets.

I'll always support 2A for LAW-ABIDING American citizens. But you better stop attacking those of us that actually have the training and experience to back up the fight in the real world offline.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    The short answer to "why" is that the thug is not acting "under color of law" at the time and the LEO is.

Wrong. ANY American citizen -- cop or not -- acting in any such circumstance(s) is liable under "the color of law" ... aka civil rights.

Stop posting shit you know nothing about. YOU are the reason for the label of FAKE NEWS.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Wrong. ANY American citizen -- cop or not -- acting in any such circumstance(s) is liable under "the color of law" ... aka civil rights.

Stop posting shit you know nothing about. YOU are the reason for the label of FAKE NEWS.

I respectfully suggest that you google "Color of Law" and read up on it before you post again. It does not mean what you think it does.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Leo v. Federal Appellate Counsellor

MDS cage match!

:popcorn:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

May I own a gun, holy reverend and keeper of my 2A rights?

oh, and you may want to ask who esqapplette is before you disparage him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Training AND experience vs. the right to carry is a separate issue which can be debated on another thread.

Get some training. REAL training. Don't be the dumbass that just takes the mandatory minimum training required to buy a firearm or carry concealed. Those wannabes are the loudest barkers out there ... the under-trained, inexperienced gun owners and CCW holders. They have NO idea what they're talking about, regardless of the 2nd Amendment. In fact, if they were ever placed in a deadly force encounter, they would either freeze or flee instead of fight.

Let me guess ... you have a ten minute online course on firearms safety under your belt and MIGHT have shot a paper target once or twice in your life. YOU are the reason firearms are being restricted more and more each day in this country.

many pro-2A people want to blame the police for their OWN lack of accountability. That accountability includes their severe lack of training and experience. Keyboard warriors? Yes. Dumb people in general? Yep.

Stop "operating" under a false premise with ZERO training and experience. I know which group I'll be with when the shit hits the fan. It won't be the dying end that's been madly typing on a keyboard instead of being in training or in the real shit on the streets.

I'll always support 2A for LAW-ABIDING American citizens. But you better stop attacking those of us that actually have the training and experience to back up the fight in the real world offline.

81BF72FB-F46F-4156-86F8-F3F00EDFC86C.jpeg

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Quoted for posterity.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Leo v. Federal Appellate Counsellor

MDS cage match!

:popcorn:

Fortunately I was able to find a bookie quickly and plop down a mortgage payment on the retired litigator...

giphy.gif

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Hey guy:

The person that you are replying to there is Mark Pennak. In addition to being the President of Maryland Shall Issue, Mr. Pennak is a well accomplished litigator in Federal appellate court.

In short, he knows exactly what he's talking about.

Your attitude and the insult flinging do not do your argument any favors.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I would remind everyone that anytime that you use the word "you" when replying to someone, you are in danger of running afoul of forum rules.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom